80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Is 2D Animation Dead? I say Not really. What say you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GemGfx
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Is 2D Animation Dead? I say Not really. What say you? Reply with quote

When I was a little boy in the 80s, I would run straight home after school to make sure I was sitting in front of the TV by a certain time. When Sesame Street ended and after a few commercials the entire TV screen would turn red. Anyone who knew about cartoons back in the 80s knew what came next.

Thundercats!

For the next 30 minutes, I was transported from my home in Trinidad and Tobago to a place called Thundera. I didn't care about anything in my own life, I cared about whether or not Liono and the other Thundercats would defeat Mumra and the mutants in that episode.

Greetings everyone. Great to find a group with a love for 80s cartoons. My name is Everard McBain and my wife and I are the creators of a graphic novel and animated short called Celflux.

celflux.com

Watching cartoons had been my pattern of behaviour for some time. I was born in 1974 and by the time I was five, I was already obsessed with cartoons. Jonny Quest (1964 ), Birdman (1967), The Herculoids (1968), Space Ghost (1968) and, Thundarr The Barbarian (1980) were some of my early introductions.

In the 80s it was Thundercats, Silver Hawks, Tiger Sharks, Centurions, Bionic Six, Visionaries. Too many to name. Oh, and there were the big two. Transformers and Gi Joe which both had movies. Those were the first two films I owned on VHS and played them so much that the tape warped. I knew every word of the dialogue by heart.

To this day, I still remember how watching those cartoons made me feel. I fell in love with animation immediately. I loved seeing these characters with superpowers in action and I remember thinking to myself, even way back then, “Boy I wish I could do that someday.”

Over the years I had noticed that hand-drawn animation was getting less and less visible. From the disappearance of Saturday morning cartoons to the rise of 3D animation. Then something major happened. In 2013 Disney, who had been a pioneer and for years dominated the 2d industry, shut down their hand-drawn animation department.

When my wife and I published our comic, I wanted to create an 80s style animated trailer for it. Quite a few folks tried to discourage me. They said "2d animation is dead" and "nobody uses 2d animation anymore." But I didn't care. I taught myself how to animate using 2d and created the first trailer. The response we got to that trailer was quite positive and inspired us to create an animated short. With the help of some awesome voice actors and a talented musician, we started work on an animated short. You can read more about that story here:

Why I Taught Myself How To Animate. The Celflux Story

Have a look at our poster.

And here's the trailer:

Celflux Trailer

So as far as I am concerned, 2d animation is alive and well. Would love to hear how others feel about it. I did write a blog post about it and you can find that here:

Is 2D Animation Dead? Not really.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the forum. Look forward to hearing everyone's views.

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that 2d is dead. Me and my best friend are doing our own cartoon and 2d at that. Just that cgi is so much quicker to animate, companies will be hesitant to bank roll something that takes longer to get done.

The 80's were the best decade for television, so much quality both in style and writing, sadly, that lacks now. Cartoons are drawn badly now with very little realism to them.

Also, welcome, just mind the bots, quizen especially.
GemGfx
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the warm welcome and congratulations on your 2d project. You are correct, companies want the quickest and cheapest way to create something. So they are saying no to 2d. I firmly believe the future of 2d is with independent creators like us. As long as people have a love for 2d and still use it to tell stories, it will always live on.

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GemGfx wrote:
I firmly believe the future of 2d is with independent creators like us.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, GemGfx! Glad to have you here. Thanks for sharing your excellent work here. Very Happy Cool

(And yes- sigh...sorry about the bots. We try to clear them out...)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
GemGfx
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MacGyver thanks for the warm welcome and for allowing me to be a part of this cool 80s community. I'm still finding my way around but so far I can say this is a great space for enjoying the memories of the 80s.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » General Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: