80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Automan.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Automan. Reply with quote

Me and the Big Booncey picked the complete series boxset of Automan. Fun romp, from the king of 80's sci-law enforcement, Glen A. Larson.

I don't remember it being shown here, or at 3 years olde, was before my psychotic brain developed its memory capabilities.

Anyone?
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember, briefly, watching this show. Thought it was major corny.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! I love Automan! It was a short-lived show, only 13 episodes and it ran in the early '80s- from 1983-1984. Years ago, the Sci-Fi Channel used to show reruns every now and then. A DVD set got released for Region 2 in the UK a while back and Region 1 (North America) got one released fairly recently too. If I ever have the extra money for it, I wouldn't mind getting this on DVD. I've seen all the episodes- I think it's a great, fun show.
It's much inspired by Tron, as you might can tell- I believe some of the same people worked on both.
There are a couple of Automan websites online too, believe it or not. If you'd like to see one of the biggest galleries of merchandise for the show I've ever seen online- check this page.
(I'm also a pretty big fan of a lot of Glen A. Larson shows, by the way- he also did fun shows like "Battlestar Galactica", "Galactica 1980", "Knight Rider", "Magnum, P.I." (Don Bellisario is the main creator for this, but Larson helped), "Manimal", "Nightman", "Buck Rogers in the 25th. Century", "The Fall Guy"- and of course, one of my all time favorites- "The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries". Very Happy Cool )

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Got the region 2 boxset, and as a nod, it does say from the producers of Tron haha.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to have the acknowledgement for Tron on there. Smile

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we finally finished the series last night.

Some bits seemed to drag, but overall, a fun 80's show.

Never knew that Desi Arnez created Desilu studio's with Lucille Ball? He didn't seem old enough.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Automan is a great, fun show. Glad you got a chance to enjoy it. Smile Cool
And yes- Desi Arnaz, Sr. founded DesiLu with Lucille Ball (the studio that produced the original "Star Trek" series!)
But the guy who plays Walter Nebicher in "Automan" is Desi Arnaz, Jr. - their son. Wink

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right haha.

It never said Snr haha.

I was going to say.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I had requested this show on DVD at my local library and just recently I saw that they now have "Automan" on DVD there. So I have lately been watching this show on DVD as well now. Very Happy Cool I'm about halfway through the series- it's still just as fun! I never saw it in the original run, but I much enjoyed it in reruns whenever SCI-FI Channel would show it.
As much as I love Walter and Automan's relationship, I also love Jack and Walter's friendship. I'm looking forward to the later episodes of the series where Lt. Jack Curtis starts interacting more and more with Agent Otto J. Mann (not knowing he's the hologram Automan! Smile )
It was also really fun watching the extras on the DVD with the interview and original biographies of the people involved from that time. The collectibles gallery was pretty neat too- I've seen most all of those years ago at 80skid.com's site. Way cool!
Cool

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that your library has got it in.

Good 'ol Gary Seven Wink .
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Seven?

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Lansing played the role of Gary Seven in the original Star Trek series.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah..... as a Trekkie, I should have known that. I've seen every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation- that's my favorite of all of them. But I do enjoy the classic original Star Trek series- one of these days I'd like to go through and watch that whole series too.

I just watched the "Renegade Run" episode of Automan last night- I'd forgotten that Jack Curtis actually rode with Automan in the Autocar! That was awesome! Smile Cool
I love the whole series throughout, but I particularly like how the second half of the series, in the later episodes, start to have Automan show up more and more in his Agent Otto Mann persona and it's really fun to have Chief Boyd and Lt. Curtis (unknowingly) working with a hologram, alongside Roxanne and Walter.
Smile

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Ah..... as a Trekkie, I should have known that. I've seen every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation- that's my favorite of all of them. But I do enjoy the classic original Star Trek series- one of these days I'd like to go through and watch that whole series too.

Easy miss, it was the last episode of the second series, called Assignment: Earth where Gary Seven appears.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay- thanks for the info.
And by the way, I finished watching all of "Automan" this last weekend. Smile Cool

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinion on it?
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love it! I've been a fan of the series for a while now- discovered it some years ago back in the late '90s or early 2000s when the SCIFI Channel used to show such shows at times. I'd long been wanting to see it on DVD. It's just such a fun series!
Very Happy Cool
I thought Glen Larson's comments in the interview were interesting, regarding how he thought perhaps they crammed too much things at once into the pilot. Maybe they could have spread it out more and then developed it in a second season. Perhaps so- I liked it well enough as it came out.
But yeah- they could have continued to flesh out Automan's "Otto J. Mann" persona and established him more with the FBI or something. It would be interesting to think of plot twists that could have happened- would Lt. Curtis and Captain Boyd have ever learned the truth about Automan? I found it interesting how Roxanne eventually grew to accept Automan more and more towards the end of the series. Would she and Wally have eventually gotten married?
Where else could you go with the series? What about a recurring villian for Automan to fight? Perhaps a polar opposite twin of some sort- another experiment of Walter's gone wrong? (This could possibly work- similar to what Glen Larson did in Knight Rider with the Michael Knight/Garth Knight and KITT/KARR match up.)
I would have loved to have seen Automan crossover with Knight Rider, come to think of it. They seem like a pretty good fit- I could see Automan interacting with KITT. What about Manimal, while we're at it? All three are Larson shows that were on at the same time. (And The Fall Guy, as well, for that matter- though I don't know if that one would have fit quite as naturally.)
Maybe there could have been an episode where the whole city is dealing with a power outage and Walter can't call on Automan. How will he cope? Maybe something could have been done to introduce further weaknesses for Automan- or a recurring villian who might draw on those weaknesses.
"The Biggest Game in Town" episode seemed to come the closest to some of these ideas- as the villians there quickly realized that Automan was not human- it was interesting to see how reacted to that virtual reality gun (I guess that's what that was.) It's the only thing that had been shown to really hurt him- that would be interesting to explore further.
Yes- there were definitely lots of possibilities with the show. It's a shame it couldn't have gone on further- but I'm glad for what they did accomplish with it. And it's a fun show to watch when I want something different.

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Perhaps a polar opposite twin of some sort- another experiment of Walter's gone wrong? (This could possibly work- similar to what Glen Larson did in Knight Rider with the Michael Knight/Garth Knight and KITT/KARR match up.).

That would have been a damn good story arc.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it. Smile Cool Particularly when you have heroes that seem near invincible, having their polar opposite (as far as morals and values go) with the same powers most always makes it more interesting. Just like with Superman and Bizarro or Flash and Reverse Flash- any of these kinds of match ups I always find interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: