80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Follow up on unreleased cartoons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Follow up on unreleased cartoons Reply with quote

There is a question that keeps nagging me for sometime: why aren't cartoon production and distribution companies use modern media channels to release those cartoons that are still in their position like other media outlets do. For example amazon, netflix, hulu, etc.

For example CartoonHD.com has apps that allow to be downloaded free to your PC, Android, etc cartoons that they get and watch them for free
I'm sure that the big production companies would have to invest little money to build a similar site and charge a small fee to watch cartoons that they do not want to release otherwise.

What do you think?

Invaders
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think licensing issues might be the problem or they may just think there's not enough interest to warrant the hassle. That's my take on it anyway, could be wrong.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we can't know for sure what the reasons are anything we might raise could be right or wrong.

But, looking into past releases, when the company wants, for whatever reason, it seems that licensing is never a problem. So how I see it is either the quality of the cartoons is too poor, or they don't think that it will sell well.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a combination of things. There are times when licensing is legitimately a problem. Though not a cartoon, the classic 1960s "Batman" series was a humongous licensing problem until Warner Bros. finally got things together to release the show on DVD in time for Batman's 75th. anniversary. It's a series that had long been desired for release before that, but it had such complicated legal issues that it never was worked out until then.
I think it comes down to a simple ***** for most cases for companies. It's a basic business principle of the law of supply and demand. If there is enough demand to where sales would be inevitable and thereby profits would be very likely, then a company will probably supply the product if possible. There may be a demand and no supply available. (As is the case with a number of early Doctor Who episodes that the BBC has to cobble together from various sources to make DVD releases possible.) There may be supply and no demand available. (Though I suppose someone out there might be clamoring for My Mother the Car or Homeboys in Outer Space, but probably not too many. Wink)
And when both supply and demand meet, then products can get released. But if the company decides there is not enough demand to make producing the supply worthwhile, then product most likely will not be released.
That is where fan campaigns might possibly help persuade companies, but they are not always successful. In the end, after (politely and respectfully) making your voice heard, you just have to wait and see what happens.
Of course, it's always good to diligently search because he who seeks will find (presuming it's something meant to be found. Smile)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invaders wrote:
I think licensing issues might be the problem or they may just think there's not enough interest to warrant the hassle. That's my take on it anyway, could be wrong.

That's most likely the reason for it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: