80sCartoons.net Forum Index

News, Releases, and Updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: News, Releases, and Updates Reply with quote

There are older series such as CBS Storybreak, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and ABC Weekend Specials that were treated differently even though they were popular almost at the same level.

For example Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was gradually released during the years until it came all out, 193 episodes on DVD in one package.
On the other hand in 1993 there was an announcement published in which the company said it will release all 133 episodes of ABC Weekend Specials (See report in the 1993 LA Times) but, no more than 6 episodes can be found today. Moreover, ABC announced in January 1996 that it will continue its ABC Weekend specials when they actually cut the program later in the year (See link, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEwQFjAJahUKEwiQv5nZhq_IAhXLej4KHQSIBkA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.utah.edu%2F~mflatt%2Fbumpy%2Fcancel.txt&usg=AFQjCNHJPsMaP30zAAKMB9VeH9Ac9TxTvA)

The same story with CBS Storybreak Series. There were always talks about releasing all the 26 episodes on DVD, yet only 6 episodes can be found.
I know that there are issues with copyrights, legal, and companies ownership, but still I can’t understand why companies don’t release successful series. If the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series was released on DVD in one package doesn’t it make sense to release series from the same years especially that Ninja Turtles is so successful.

What do you think?

Last edited by Chenchukon on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't think CBS Storybreak and ABC Weekend Specials (though I particularly enjoyed the latter of those with Captain O.G. Readmore and all Smile ) were anywhere near as popular as the classic 1987-1996 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series! (And keep in mind that the DVD release for that series took about a decade to complete!)
I think it's a matter of complicated rights combined with a lack of interest from enough fans (not to say that there's not some interest out there though) and the decline of DVDs in general- all of that adds up to a reluctance on the part of rights holders to release DVD collections for these cartoon series. That's my take on it anyway.
And to the other point raised- companies make plans to do things and announce such things all the time and don't always follow through. Plans fall through and things change. (That's just true for people and life in general.) That's kind of why I don't always take every announcement totally at face value until I see some action behind it- though I do try to give folks the benefit of the doubt too.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver,

First of, from what I researched, those series were at least as popular as the Ninja Turtles. Of course after the company pushed it to the public and invested in changing it for modern media the series took off. I can assure you that if they did the same to CBS Storybreak and ABC Weekend Specials the results would be the same.

As to the companies' announcements they sometimes do that to test the waters and if the results are not what they expected they just don't go on with the project. That's why calling, writing, and nudging can make a difference.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Chenchukon, those are good points. Unfortunately, I don't feel that the companies did that with those series- that's why I was saying that.
But keep nudging them along, by all means. Hopefully the message will get across soon.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Official announcements that never materialized Reply with quote

MacGyver,

To follow the same path, here is another proof that even when a production company or a copyrights holder announces officially the release of a series/movie, etc, they don't always keep their words. in the example below from 2008, Popeye and Friends was never release:

Announcement: Popeye and Son - Popeye & Friends - Volume 2 Consists of Episodes from the 1987 Popeye and Son Series (tvshowsondvd.com)
Single-disc release coming on Sept. 30th
Posted by David Lambert 6/11/2008
This coming Tuesday (June 17th) sees the DVD release of Popeye & Friends - Volume 1, a single-disc release of color cartoons taken from 1978's The All-New Popeye Hour, produced by Hanna Barbera. We have full details about that release in our March report. Now, this morning, Warner Home video has officially announced a second installment in this line, coming out later this year.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's always a matter of not keeping their word; sometimes plans just change for reasons beyond companies' control. But yes- unfortunately, there are a number of things that companies might announce as forthcoming that never make it...

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver,

Maybe in some cases the reason for fake announcements are as you explained. But, as I suspected the reasons are much more because companies just want to make as much money as they can. Just read the quote from http://listverse.com/2011/02/11/top-15-movies-you-cant-find-on-dvd/, from a piece written by Bryan Johnson on FEBRUARY 11, 2011:

“In the movie industry, certain companies (mainly Disney) use a practice called a moratorium, which is delaying or suspending the release of a DVD movie for a certain period of time. The process is used to make DVD copies rare and, in many cases, nonexistent. People want to watch their favorite films on DVD.
This is why groups of individuals regularly become upset when they can’t find their favorite movies in DVD format. The collective demand for a DVD release does not pass by movie executives, and every year old movies are converted to DVD.”

As you see, making certain cartoon series artificially rare, is intentional and not always because of copyrights, financials, or because people demand it.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you see, making certain cartoon series artificially rare, is intentional and not always because of copyrights, financials, or because people demand it.

If they were to release everything they have, chances are that those same files would end up posted online for everyone to download for free and that means trouble. If I was in charge of a company that happens to have the rights for a few unreleased cartoons, my best bet would be to hold as hard as I could to the TV rights and keep earning money that way than risking people not buying my costly DVD set because it ended up leaked at some point during selling. It sucks (it really does) but that's the way most of the companies are operating now and I can't truly say that I disagree anymore.

Making a TV show is nastily expensive, making a DVD adds to that price and your job as a producer is to not only cover the production costs but to have some profits as well. Sometimes, that's not possible because... A) the show is not popular anymore and you can't even get it on TV or B) people are not going to buy a massive amount of copies if you were to release it. Some toons are doomed to remain in the dark until their situations reverses (or the copyright holder allows it to be online, which had happened with Kimba: The White Lion and a few other cartoons in recent years).

Last edited by IceDragon on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon covered some great points there. Yes, I know some companies might intentionally make some movies or TV shows on DVD rare in order to make more money- but I don't think that's the case all the time. It's a combination of things.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IceDragon,

Everything you said is basically true but at the same time it's basic commerce. Also if only those rules apply then none of the movie/cartoons would be released ever. In my opinion, the opposite is true. It's much less costly to make a DVD from old cartoons because you don't have to pay to buy the rights. That's why every time a converted to DVD old cartoon series is released the company holding the copyrights makes a big profit, which is much better than keeping the original in a vault.
Moreover, every time such a series is released, close to half of the total sales goes to public libraries, research institutes, and private collectors. Not to mention the sales all over the world.

So maybe, if we keep "bothering" those companies, maybe they'll change their mind.

That's what I think.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: The Puppy's Greatest Adventures Reply with quote

The Puppy’s Greatest Adventures Series was produced by Ruby-Spears and it was released in 1984 The following year, the show played solo as The Puppy’s Great Adventures. (http://www.skooldays.com/categories/saturday/sa1173.htm) Petey and his girlfriend dolly and the three stray male dogs travel the country, and solve mysteries.

Last edited by Chenchukon on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the ABC Weekend Specials and CBS Storybook Specials (not to mention the ABC Afterschool Specials), part of the problem with releasing these series is that each episode's story is not owned by ABC or CBS. There were, often as not, based on a novel or short story, whose stories would have to be re-contracted so the shows could be re-released.

As to some companies releasing movies in limited numbers, I agree it does happen, particularly with Disney. "Coming to DVD and Blu-Ray, for a limited time!" (sound familiar?)

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LepricahnsGold,

You're right, sometimes the author or his family are not interested in allowing to remake old episodes into DVD, IF THEY STILL OWN THE RIGHTS.

But, in most of these cases when the production company acquired the rights to make a cartoon based on a children's book, they make sure to have the rights exclusively to do whatever they want with the script based on that book. It doesn't mean that the author loses his rights on the book, only that the film/cartoon format from the book belongs to the production company. So long that they mention the author and the book name in the credits, they are okay.
From this I conclude that the rights holders are not interested in releasing old cartoons on DVD unless they are 100% sure that they'll make a fat profit. Razz

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: 2 Storylines Reply with quote

Here are the 2 Storylines.

A youth anthology series focusing primarily on adaptations of children's literature.
30-minute animated series, each episode telling a different beloved childrens story.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: The Storyline of Popeye and Son Reply with quote

Here is the Storyline of Popeye and Son.

After 58 years of Popeye and Bluto fighting over Olive Oyl, they've all decided to finally settle down and start families. Popeye and Olive got married and had a son who hates spinach. Bluto also got married and had a son who's a bully to Popeye's kid. Wimpy has also started his own burger chain and tries his best to refrain from eating his own burgers.

It includes all 13 episodes of the 26 segments.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: General observation Reply with quote

Hi MacGyver,

I was wondering why production companies that make cartoons, misunderstand many times what the public wants, and refrain from renewing or rebranding old cartoon series, even though when they did it in the past they made, and still make, nice profits.
In my opinion, they are missing a lot of opportunities to make even more money without investing too much in converting old VHS to DVD, especially when they already have the rights, or can buy them for cheap.

I know that this is an old topic, and I also know that one effective way to persuade them to change their mind would be to organize members from this site and other a like to put up a campaign calling for those companies to release many more old cartoon series.

What can the management and administers of this site do to convince other sides to call their members to initiate something like this.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chenchukon,
I agree that some companies are missing opportunities to possibly make some money in releasing more cartoon series to DVD. Yes, sometimes petitions can have an impact on companies' decisions, but it ultimately comes down to profits. Quite simply, if a company doesn't think it will make enough sales to make enough profit, then it won't bother with the effort of releasing DVDs. (There are also questions of rights, legalities, etc. that hamper such efforts too, of course.)
I know you have been working to organize some petitions for cartoon DVD releases and I hope I can offer encouragement in those efforts. Keep at it! The companies may be persuaded yet. (Though any such petitioning of any company should be done with gentleness and respect, particularly if one expects good results. Wink )
Why not try setting up petitions through ipetitions.com or other such sites?
As to corralling the help of other like-minded cartoon fan sites, that would be a question for Aurora. However, I would suggest that the best way to do that would be for you to join other such sites and make personal connections through helpful contributions on their forums. Then you may be able to accomplish such goals. Hope it works out for you. Cool

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MacGyver,

I took your advice, open an account at ipetitions.com and created my first petition with the title Release of old cartoons. I hope this works and I will report if there are any news on that.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: The Puppies Series Reply with quote

This is another old series that is not being released even though it's from the mid 80's.

The Puppy's New Adventures and The Puppy's Further Adventures were shown in reruns under the new title The Puppy's Great Adventures on ABC from September 8 to November 10, 1984 and two years later on CBS from September 13 to November 8, 1986.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Hope it pans out for you. Very Happy Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: