80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Who Holds Cartoon Rights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Who Holds Cartoon Rights Reply with quote

Following my last answer I am presenting below a first table content.
I'm asking viewers to add proper updates regarding last known rights holder of these series.

Feel free to add to the table.

Studios Series Title # of episodes First Aired Where/what network Rights
20th Century Fox - CBS Storybreak 26 1985 CBS
- Popeye and Son 13 26 Segments 1987 CBS
Ruby Spears - The Puppy’s Greatest Adventures 1 1984 CBS/ABC
- The Puppy’s New Adventure 14 1982
- The Puppy’s Further Adventures 7 1983
Hanna Barbera - CB Bears 13 1977 NBC Warner Bros
- Blast Off Buzzard 13 1977
- Posse Impossible 13 1977
- Heyyy, It’s the King 13 1977
- Shake Rattle and Roll 13 1977
- Undercover Elephant 13 1977

Saban Entertainment Little Wizards 13 1987 ABC
Concept Group Inc ( for ABC) ABC Weekend Specials 133 1977 ABC

Marvel Productions Little Wizards 13 1987 ABC

Last edited by Chenchukon on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:30 pm; edited 7 times in total
SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storybreak would be owned by CBS library or the rights holders to the stories CBS adapted- in that case te original authors or the company that released the books.

Warner owns everything Hanna Barbera and 98% of Ruby Spears library. Saban owns their stuff or Disney does. Disney owns everything Marvel including the Saban produced Marvel Entertainment series.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Following to the Copyrights of Unreleased Series Reply with quote

Hey SharpFork,

I checked again the info you supplied and I have a few corrections.

First, CBS does not hold the rights as part of it's library. Nor are the books authors' the copyright holders of the cartoons made from the books.

Originally, CBS/Fox Company(CBS/Fox Video) had the copyrights. During the years changes of ownership and buyouts moved the copyrights until it landed with Viacom after 20th Century Fox and CBS merged with Viacom. So, since this is the most updated info, we should consider Viacom as the rights holder unless we hear otherwise.

As to the second part of your post, let me do some additional research before I can answer with certainty. Off one thing I'm sure, that the details about Saban are not accurate.

Anyway thank you much for your input, and happy holidays. Wink

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Copyrights of Unreleased Series - Part 4 Reply with quote

Some simple info:

Saban Entertainment was formed in 1983 as "Saban Productions".
Partnership with DIC and Marvel.
In 1986, Saban Productions bought the foreign rights to the DIC Entertainment library of children's programming.
In 1996, Fox Children's Productions merged with Saban Entertainment to form Fox Kids Worldwide bring the Marvel Productions and Marvel Films Animations library.
Later in 2002 Saban (renamed BVS Entertainment) became part of The Walt Disney Company.
The last information on the copyrights that Saban held in the past is that most of it belongs now to The Walt Disney Company. Copyrights changed hands many times and it is difficult to know if specific series are in WD Company library. In any case, it makes since that WD is the place to go and for the missing series. The problem with the release is that for unknown reasons whatever Saban released was in Australia(region 4).

As to HB and Marvel Prod: Turner Broadcasting System, who bought HB in 1991 featured the series in their new Cartoon Network Channel. then in 1996 HB became part of Warner Bros. Animation. As far as the copyrights go, CNC has all the legal rights including the use of brand name HB.
Regarding Ruby Spears which as you wrote WB hold the copyrights to all their productions, the only way to watch them, if it all, is if they decide to feature it on their CN channel.

Most of this info is available from open sources but if this summary helps any of the readers to locate whom to contact that would serve its purpose.

Thank you SharpFork. Keep it coming. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartoon Network/Turner Only have broadcast rights. Certain titles are being released by Warner Archive and not under any cartoon network or turner dvd label.

Haim Saban sold the rights to the Marvel productions to Disney. That's why just about every marvel cartoon (aside from the 1967 Fantastic Four cartoon which is in legal limbo), The Tick, Zazoo U, Kid N Play, etc.. were released on DVD in the UK before the merger of Saban with Disney. Disney will not release these cartoons in the US now. Saban purchased back his rights to the Power Rangers and select other programs, that's why they are being released through Shout Factory now. All of DiCs programs were owned by Cookie Jar entertainment which recently changed over to DHX media. DiCs programs are being released through Mill Creek in the US.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Follow up Reply with quote

Thank you for the info SharpFork.

If you stumble over new info or relevant details to add the list please feel free to write again.

It would be nice have at least some of the missing series being released here in the States or in other part of the world that we can buy from.

Happy New Year.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SharpFork, Happy New Year to you.

Anything to add to my last post?

I hope you do.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mayor,
I am well aware of Ioffer, but couldn't find there even one episode of what I was looking for, not to mention the ridiculous high price for low quality.

By the way, I don't know if you checked my recent posts in the ''Other Cartoons Forum''; maybe you can contribute to the topics there. I hope you do.

All the best. Cool

SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New year, Chenchukon!

What companies or programs would you like to know about?

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year to you too.
If you read my late posts, I'd like people like you to fill out the missing info in the listings that I posted. I believe that if we have info we could start ''bombarding'' the rights owners asking them to release at least some of the series/episodes mentioned.

jny5
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Following to the Copyrights of Unreleased Series Reply with quote

Chenchukon wrote:
Hey SharpFork,

I checked again the info you supplied and I have a few corrections.

First, CBS does not hold the rights as part of it's library. Nor are the books authors' the copyright holders of the cartoons made from the books.

Originally, CBS/Fox Company(CBS/Fox Video) had the copyrights. During the years changes of ownership and buyouts moved the copyrights until it landed with Viacom after 20th Century Fox and CBS merged with Viacom. So, since this is the most updated info, we should consider Viacom as the rights holder unless we hear otherwise.

As to the second part of your post, let me do some additional research before I can answer with certainty. Off one thing I'm sure, that the details about Saban are not accurate.

Anyway thank you much for your input, and happy holidays. Wink

This is false info. 20th Century fox is owned by News Corp..not Viacom and CBS is a separated company now and it not owned by Viacom. CBS Storybreak is technically a public domain series. I would suggest you check the facts again.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JNY5,
Thanks for your input.
This is a free site where people exchange views. A lot of info that is not 100% verified goes around, and clarifications are welcomed as long as it's done in good taste.
If CBS Storybreak is in the public domain, as you so surely claim, why can't we find ALL the missing episodes (8 are still MIA).

Have a good day.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome to the forums jny5! Glad to have you here- hope you enjoy the site. Very Happy Cool Thank you for the added information.

As a reminder to us all, let's remember that we always want to encourage the free exchange of ideas. And particularly in the case of this thread, users are welcomed to help keep the copyright information as up-to-date and accurate as possible. In the changing world of business and mergers, things can certainly change with copyrights and information can quickly become outdated.
But let's also try to be kind in posting such new information without foul language or being demeaning to anyone else. (Even if something comes across as rude unintentionally [which, with the nature of the Internet and public forums where users don't have the advantage of face-to-face interactions that allow for facial expressions and tone, is quite easily possible]- as I've said as a reminder to myself before- we can all stand to be more careful about what we say.)
Let's all try to remember to do unto each other as we would have done unto ourselves.
Thanks for your understanding and help with that.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MacGyver. You are a reliable gatekeeper.

Last edited by Chenchukon on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Mac is freaking awesome. I'm definitely encouraged to post in a forum that has that kind of STAFF Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- well, thanks for such kind words, guys. I'm just trying to be a peacemaker like Jesus said in Matthew 5:9. I can't take credit; it's Him. Smile
I'm so encouraged to help with a forum that has totally awesome and kind members like you all! Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On December 22nd I've posted a list of unreleased episodes from various series. among them, was The Puppy's New Adventures series.

First I corrected the number of episodes from 13 to 14. secondly, I am adding below the updated list of episodes:

Clyder the Misfit Puppy
Puppy's Great Escape
Petey and the 101 Seals
The Puppy's Australian Adventure
The Puppy's Dangerous Mission
The Puppy's Amazon Adventure
The Puppy's Great Race
Honolulu Puppy
Puppy and the Reluctant Bull
Puppy's Hong Kong Adventure
Mystery of the Wailing Cat
An American in Paris
Puppy and the Pirates
The Treasure of the Ancient Ruins

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post from 03/01/15 hereon is the list of The Puppy’s Further Adventures, which is the second part of The Puppy's series:
The Puppy Goes Home
The Puppy And The Band Outlands
Puppy Goes To Omega World
The Puppy And The Spies
The Puppy Goes To College
The Puppy Meets The Brown Eyed Girl
Biggest Diamond In The World

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a follow up to my post dated 03/01/15:

The directors of The Puppy's New Adventures Series were: Charles Nichols, Rudy Lurriva.

Interesting though, the directors of the follow up series The Puppy's Further Adventures that was released in 1983 were: Rudy Larriva, John Kimball, Norm McCabe.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again it is worthwhile to mention that the director of the single episode, The Puppy's Greatest Adventures that aired in 1984 was Rudy Larriva, who directed in all the other episodes( a total of 22 episodes between 1982-84).

Last edited by Chenchukon on Tue May 05, 2015 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: