80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Arrow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Arrow Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Moving on with the (delayed in shipping) November releases, we come now to the fourth quarterly item and it's a large scale beast that falls largely into the unexpected category. Presenting Bow's loyal steed Arrow.

Arrow comes in the large scale window box, complete with the Princess of Power logo sticker on the front, much like Swift Wind did, which makes sense as he's another big horse. Something interesting to note is that his brown mailer box has the POP 30th Anniversary logo on the back which we've seen with all the Club Etheria figures so far, but has been missing from the Club Eternia POP characters. Why the horse got it when the ladies didn't I have no idea.

The back of the box shows off other characters in the line and presents a bio for Arrow. There's not too much to talk about in comparison here as Arrow had very little story around him in the vintage line. The one thing you will note is how it mentions him fighting on land and in the air. Take a look at the picture and you'll see it's of a blue Pegasus instead of a brown horse. Well that's the thing with Arrow. His vintage toy was a blue repaint of Swift Wind's mold complete with wings, but in the Filmation cartoon Arrow was portrayed as just a normal brown horse. Here we have a mash-up trying to cover both grounds.

Taking a look at Arrow out of the package you can see he appears pretty much straight out of the cartoon. Admittedly he is a slightly lighter shade, as are his reins which look more pink than they did on the show. For the most part Arrow is a reuse of the Swift Wind buck. He has articulation joints at the hip/shoulder, knee, and ankle in all four legs as well as joints both at the neck and head and his tail is ball jointed. I will note that the joints are very tight so he does balance quite well. Arrow does have a new neck with a different style mane than Swift Wind and he also has a new head. While his saddle is removable, his bridle and reigns are part of the head mold and don't come off.

Arrow does come with something that would have been great to have had back with Swift Wind. He features two plugs that go into the holes in the body where his wings attach. When in they blend in and become an extension of the saddle so you're not stuck with holes in the side of the horse. Again this is something Swift Wind could have used so as to change him to Spirit. I should warn you though these are made of hard solid plastic and snap in real tight.

They do come out though because Arrow comes with optional wings you can plug in. These are the same wings we've seen on Swift Wind and the Griffin just repainted. They plug in with ball joints so as to give plenty of articulation. They're not quite the right colors though. As is they seem very much like Zoar with the red orange and blue. The vintage Arrow's wings were lighter in shade on the blue and the orange parts were actually golden in color.

My vintage Arrow has the wrong wings (those are actually Swift Wind's) but you can still get an idea of the style for comparison. I should point out that the vintage Arrow did not have any reigns or bridle, that comes from the Filmation appearance. I actually do prefer the Filmation version probably because that's the one I'm more familiar with. In fact I only recently got the vintage Arrow. I do admit that without the vintage toy colors it looses something in still calling him Bow's "true blue" horse.

Arrow is another one of those characters where there's nothing really wrong with the final product, but there's nothing really great about it either. The sad truth is he's kinda boring. Unlike Swift Wind, Arrow never really did anything. He had no real established personality, and no plot significance. If Bow needed to be riding somewhere he didn't take a random horse he rode Arrow. That's it, Arrow was just Bow's horse. And that's all this Classics version is; just a horse that's it. Now part of the problem is the knowledge that the line is winding down. If we had confirmation, or at least blind hope, that the other POP horses (Storm, Sundancer, and Moonbeam) were coming as well it wouldn't be so bad. As it stands though, Arrow comes off as a wasted slot, an excuse to reuse the horse buck instead of utilizing the SKU for something more fan demanded. I suppose if you can afford it he makes good custom fodder to build an army of horses for your figures but there are other beasts or multipaks that would've been a better use of resources. (even if you argue limited tooling budget you still could have easily done Clawdeen who would've been more interesting)

Again there's nothing really bad about the actual product, he's just not very exciting. Like all the November items he was taken down during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale so if you want him check back later to see if he's gone back up. Until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much PoP stuff this time around. It's MOTUC not POPC- tung lashor definitely makes up for the crap like Light Hope and Rio Blasts ugly mug.... But come on.... No wonder so many people stopped subscribing. Do more PoP fans collect this then MOTU fans? Id rather
Have more obscure MOTU characters than crap like this! Sorry but it's true. All we needed was the horde and She-Ra. Id rather have a camouflaged Kobra Kahn over Sweet Bee Mad

Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpFork wrote:
Too much PoP stuff this time around.

We had to cram a lot in this year because there was not enough in all the previous years.

Quote:
It's MOTUC not POPC-

If you've been reading my past reviews then you should know that this kind of aniti-POP attitude really pisses me off. POP is part of MOTU no matter what your feelings on it may be. All these calls by the vocal but vastly outnumbered minority of haters to limit and/or segregate this faction from the line does nothing but create anger and tension amongst the fan community

Quote:
No wonder so many people stopped subscribing. Do more PoP fans collect this then MOTU fans?

Actually yes they do. Or more accurately fans who like all factions of MOTU including POP vastly outnumber fans who don't and it is we who buy the subs and kept the line alive. Subscribers jumped ship more because of rising prices.

Quote:
Id rather Have more obscure MOTU characters than crap like this! Sorry but it's true. All we needed was the horde and She-Ra. Id rather have a camouflaged Kobra Kahn over Sweet Bee Mad

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, however going back the the previous point another reason some people stopped subscribing was because we kept getting obscure characters and stupid variants instead of the ones we know love and have been asking for. I'm upset that the line will be ending with us having things like Snake Man-At-Arms but no Starburst She-Ra. I'd much rather have Spinwitt than Oo-Larr.

No we needed to get all the characters and as is we're still getting screwed out of great Filmation and NA characters. (and may I point out that Sweet Bee was a Club Etheria figure-not part of the main sub- and had no day of sale so she did only go to those who wanted her)

I do agree that Arrow is boring and wasn't needed but the actual POP Great Rebellion figures are beloved and needed.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: