80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Our Forum's 10th Anniversary Thread!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Our Forum's 10th Anniversary Thread! Reply with quote

Hello!

The forums' ten year anniversary is coming up next month! (And 15+ years of the website!) Wow! It's been a long time!

A great community has sprung up here, and I'd like to take some time to celebrate that. You have all been pretty awesome. I love the lengths you go to in order to help someone find their lost cartoons. I love the passion you all show for animation. I love the sense of humor around here.

It's reminded me that I need to be here more often. Smile

So, let's hear it. Why are YOU here? What have YOU loved about this place? What experiences would YOU like to share?

Last edited by Aurora on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY for 10 years of 80scartoons.net Very Happy Cool
WOW- I can hardly believe I've been participating on these forums for almost that long too. (Since January 2005, apparently.)
I suppose I would have to say that I mainly came to this site for the usual reason that people post to the "Lost and Found" forums- looking to recapture my youth and remember some of the great cartoons from the 1980s that I remember watching years ago and loving! So yes, I'm a sucker for nostalgia. Smile
In some ways, the site reminds me of happy childhood times and great cartoons from an era when there was still a good range of clean, quality cartoons to watch (whereas it feels like very little of that is on the air today- though there are still some good ones.)
The forums have helped me remember a number of cartoons I had forgotten and definitely informed me on all kinds of other shows I never saw when I was younger. So I have appreciated the research information too.
And the camaraderie and good-natured humor has been nice too. I've particularly enjoyed participating in our long-running "Name That Cartoon Character" game, which I recall teddy0bear starting some years ago. Those are always so enjoyable to play. And the project Aurora started with a recreation of a 1980s Saturday morning broadcast is way awesome too- that was definitely fun to join in that as well.
So I guess the main reason I come to this site is simply because it's FUN!!! Very Happy Cool It's a great break for a while from reality and a fun to remember the simple joys of childhood and good times. As Charles Dickens said in his classic "A Christmas Carol", "...it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself." Very Happy Cool
Thank you to Straydog and teddy0bear for serving as moderators and thank you to Aurora for the honor of being one of the moderators. And most of all, thanks for creating a wonderful Web site celebrating childhood and cartoons (particularly those from the awesome '80s) and maintaining a family-friendly place for people to hang out and enjoy. Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary to realize I joined just four months after MacGyver. I came here, 9 years ago, for much the same reason I joined, what was then called, the Killer List of Videogames (KLOV) forums and became a member, contributor and, this year, approver on MobyGames.com: nostalgia. Some of my best memories are from watching cartoons (Saturday morning and weekday afternoons) in the late 70s and early 80s, the Atari 2600, NES and arcades. I've always liked animation and, even today, am a fan of Pixar's films. When I like a place, I tend to stick around. I've been with MobyGames.com since Aug. 25, 2005 and KLOV's forums since Mar. 16, 2002. Hard to believe it's been that long (twelve years for KLOV!)

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'm definitely a fan of both cartoons and video games in general and it's nice that so many on here can speak to a number of my fandoms. Glad to have you here, LepricahnsGold- you have been a valuable contributor to so many discussions and games. I always appreciate your friendliness and informative posts. Smile Cool

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friendliness is why I tend to stick around. Every place has its problems like KLOV has had trolls (although they often get banned, after a time), this site has had the 'kitchens in (input UK city)' spam postings (but they seem to have slowed) and MobyGmes was sold to GameFly (who tried redoing the site but left bugs and broken items and didn't seem to care about that site) but Blue Flame Labs bought that out and it seems to be doing much better. But, on the whole, they've all been OK.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad to meet ya at last, Aurora Very Happy

Joining here wasnít an easy task for me. Iím not only an extremely shy person, but I also had to overcome lots of terrible memories I had about foreign sites like this one... unless you are a latino like me, you donít really know how much racism there is, and how many people is willing to deliver it.

I joined because I was desperate to find an old cartoon I used to enjoy when I was a wee lad, and I just figured that I needed to ask in one of these sites. I wasnít planning to stay after my doubt was solved, but I kept coming back because you guys seemed SO NICE! You canít even imagine how shocked I was to find such an excellent group just willing to receive me. Even when my english was really bad at the time I signed up, I was really glad to be here and I tried my best to improve... and here Iím, being your most happy member, and loving every second of my stay.

You guys are truly awesome, and, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have joined the rest of the forums I joined ever since I did it here. Iím now a proud member of three more boards in where I met lots of interesting people and I can regard them all as my friends, the same way I do here. So, thanks a lot 80ís cartoons!

For ten more years!

Fernin
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the newest members here, only joined about half a year ago or so, but I've definitely enjoyed my stay here. Like so many others, I joined looking for a particular cartoon... which I still haven't been able to actually see, since tracking down episodes of Alvin & The Chipmunks is harder than finding a needle in a hay factory, it seems, but just having remembered it with their help is good enough for now.

I poked around for a bit after that and was drawn in by the Guess That Cartoon Character game, it has kept me here ever since. I haven't spoken up in too many other places around the forum, but I have read most of the stuff folks have posted (you can check around any other forum I'm on, I barely ever post much xD).

I may have missed out on most of the first 10 years here, but I think I'll be here for the next 10. Smile

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fernin wrote:
I poked around for a bit after that and was drawn in by the Guess That Cartoon Character game, it has kept me here ever since.
The 80sCartoon.net crack. Wink

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha- how true! Very Happy Cool
Glad to have you here too, Fernin. Definitely appreciate your contributions as well. I am also a fan of Alvin & The Chipmunks- I would report more on those DVD releases, but they are so hodgepodge and have yet to do any season sets that I know of. That may be a project for research later.... Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » General Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: