80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Peekablue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Peekablue Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Things are getting pretty busy for MOTU Classics. Thanks to having both the main sub and Club 200X, plus out of sub items, every month for the rest of the year has at least two items, most of them three! July's no exception so let's get on with the Club Eternia figure of the month; Peekablue

Peekablue comes in the standard Masters of the Universe Classics blister card package complete with the Princess of Power logo sticker on the bubble. It's interesting to note that she is packed with her tail feathers pointed down though still plugged into her body. You have to take them off in order to remove her from the plastic tray. But then you'd need to anyway to set the tail right.

The back of the box shows off other figures and presents a bio for Peekablue. Once again taking cues from the old style guide where the descriptions were designed for a "girls doll" line. Hence the proud strutting like a peacock reference -something that goes against her cartoon portrayal where she came off as more shy and timid. Not sure why she was paired off with Man-E-Faces but it doesn't really bother me too much. At least she lived through the whole Second Ultimate Battleground thing. In fact come to think of it, none of the Great Rebellion members were said to have perished in their bios. We were told there were casualties on all sides but no specific Rebels were named. Probably for the best though since we'd just disregard the story anyway.

One thing that the bio does not make clear, and it never really was, is the question of if the feathers are supposed to be part of her outfit or if they are biological. They are the source of her power, that has always been consistent. (The idea of peacock feather eyes providing mystic sight goes back to Hera in Greek mythology.) Note that her mystic vision allows her to see anyone anywhere, but it's in the present. She is not an oracle who can see the future. It is pretty much anywhere though. On the cartoon she was shown viewing events on Eternia while she was on Etheria and vice-versa.

Okay so let's look at the actual figure now. I mentioned before how the vintage version used the same body mold as vintage Netossa, however the Classics version only seems to share the forearms with the bracers. Of course that's not counting the standard female hands, biceps shoulders, and legs that almost all of them use. Her boots appear to be the same mold as used on Mermista's human legs as they have the covered ankle pins unlike Netossa's. She also has a completely unique bodice over her torso, which I must say shows off a bit more cleavage than most females in the line. The bodice, while glued in place, is separate from the torso which is a new sculpt to accommodate her tail feathers. More on that in a bit.

Overall the paint work is very nicely done though her hair is a bit more pastel than most figures in the line. It seems to be actually molded in the green plastic instead of painted, and there isn't any additional wash over it. This doesn't look bad really, but it is noticeably different. Speaking of her hair though, the way it is molded it will get in the way when her feathers are on and all but inhibit head articulation. The rest of her articulation is standard for a female figure in the line, including the yet to be explained lack of boot cut swivels.

For weapons Peekablue includes both the standard POP shield and a brand new weapon in a fan blade. This is a fitting weapon for Peekablue as it goes along with her fanning peacock feathers. I do wish it was done in a different color though. Blue would be more fitting. While the eye does have a metallic wash on it more paint deco would've helped it stand out better. Also I would have preferred just letting her hold it as a normal fan instead of the added handle for gripping, but it's still a good and clever new accessory for the character.

Now of course we come to her main feature, which is those tail feathers. They are massive and spread out wide so you're going to need some extra shelf space to fully display her. Probably need to stick her in the back on a stacked stand so she's not blocking anyone yet can still be seen well. I was honestly expecting her to have the feathers as a clip on, similar to Castaspella's disk thing, but instead she has a unique torso sculpt that has a big hole for the feathers to plug into. This means if they aren't there she's got a big hole in her body, but at least it's in the back so not standing out. The feathers plug in secure and she can balance well in a pretty neutral pose but they can throw off her weight in more elaborate stances. On the vintage figure the tail had a lever that made them fan out, but for Classics they are simply articulated and must be spread manually.

The deco on the feathers is amazingly detailed. The sculpt captures an actual feathered texture to them and the paint job is fantastic both on the eyes and overall feathers which are also given a slightly metallic wash that lets them shimmer much like a real peacock feather does.

Sadly it seems that's where all the paint deco budget went. While it is most important to get the feathers perfect as that is her main feature, it does result in a lack of paint applied to the feather details on her boots, bracers and, most noticeably, her bodice. Now there is a slight wash over these sculpted details so it stands out a bit and isn't blatantly unpainted details, but you really need to have her up close in hand to fully see it. Particularly when next to the vintage figure it becomes very noticeable and feels like a lack of detail in what it otherwise a very nicely done figure. As I said, her tail feathers getting detailed is more important, but I'd rather the bodice detail have not been sculpted (she didn't have this detail on the cartoon) than to have it not fully colored in. I can only assume the Horsemen sculpted her intending it to be fully painted and the costs hit after the fact.

Peekablue is one of those characters I've been eagerly anticipating as I've always liked her unique design and think she makes a great figure and character. Aside from the small paint details I think she turned out great. I'm amazed at how big and vibrant her feathers are and she is an excellent addition to the line. Peekablue is sold out on Mattycollector so you'll need to go hunt her down on the secondary market. Good Luck and, until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pokèmon part was amazing Razz!

Intelligent life is all around us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: