80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Lizard Man

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Lizard Man Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Tine to kick off the final year of Masters of the Universe Classics. Don't fret though, it's not the end of MOTU. After avoiding a direct answer for so long Mattel confirmed in a recent Q&A that they do have a 2016 MOTU line planned and it will be in the same scale as Classics. So the line's not really ending so much as getting re-branded. We'll learn more at SDCC but that's all the way in July, so for now let's concentrate on what's in front of us.

Starting things off this year is a character from Filmation that many fans have wanted to see in figure form for some time; Lizard Man. Lizard Man appeared in only three episodes, and only in supporting roles. Also it's worth noting that his third appearance, a mere quick cameo, had him looking different leading some to speculate it was a different character, but his design left a lasting impression with the fans. So finally we have him in figure form, and in addition he comes with more Filmation artifacts for our collections.

Lizard Man comes on the standard MOTUC blister card package fully showcasing the figure inside, though the top of his head is almost blocked by the logo. The back of the box shows off other figures in the line, along with a bio for the character. Unique to this box there is also a small sticker with instructions and tips for working the glow in the dark accessory, which I'll get to in a moment.

There's not too much new stuff here as there was little to go on due to the character only having brief roles and not taking the spotlight in them. In each appearance he was treated as another team member who everyone already knew and wasn't given any real introduction. (something that's not so bad with characters who have figures, but this was an original new guy) The part about him being tossed to rescue the Sorceress refers to events in "Song of Celice" where He-Man gave Lizzie a boost allowing him to enter Castle Grayskull through the window so he could help the Sorceress who had been rendered unconscious.

The only real part I dislike is how it makes him out to be related to the Snake Men. There's no point to that, he's a lizard not a snake. I have seen this used as canon in fan stories before and I fear it's another example of Mattel just looking at what some fan had suggested online and running with it, even if it doesn't really make sense. No one ever accuses Whiplash of being related to Snake Men, so why do they assume Lizard Man is?

Taking a look at the figure out of the package you can see that, while some extra detail was put into him, he does carry his look out of the cartoon. This does make him seem a bit more animated in style than other figures in the line, but I think it works for the character. The large eyes and big smile might initially seem out of place, but go look at some pictures of certain lizards, particularly geckos, and you'll see it actually is a very accurate look for a Lizard Man.

Lizard Man utilizes the thinner arms and legs from Modulok giving him a much slimmer build than the standard muscular figure in the line. He has brand new feet and a unique torso, of which his tunic is part of the sculpt and does not come off. The torso does not have the "ab crunch" joint, but otherwise his articulation is the same as a normal figure. His head is on a ball joint, able to move side to side and up and down quite well despite his somewhat thicker neck. He's got ball joints at the shoulders and hips, swivels at the biceps waist and wrist, and joints at his elbows, knees and ankles. His tail is not articulated and just stuck to the loincloth piece. At first I wasn't sure if this was all one mold or if it was glued in place. Looking at it very closely I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that it is in fact glued in place meaning it could potentially be reused later when we finally get Saurod. (It's so great to be able to say when and not if)

Lizard Man also features new hands which have webbing in between the fingers. His left is wide open while the right is more clenched to hold an accessory, but it still has it there. A neat feature is that they are cast in a clear plastic and then painted over so that the hands look solid, but the webbing is translucent. This was a feature added by the new head of design Brandon who had taken over after Ruben left and I'd say he's off to a good start.

Lizard Man never had a specific weapon for himself so instead he comes with two Filmation artifacts. The first is Skeletor's sword as seen in a couple episodes. The hilt features the same design as his breastplate and even the handle has a bone like shape. It is done in a flat gray color though and I would've preferred it be more silver, but the sculpt itself is very well done and makes a great addition. We have Skeletor's Filmation axe and sword, now if only they would give us a Filmation Skeletor head!

The other accessory is probably one of the most iconic and fan demanded Filmation accessories ever; The Diamond Ray of Disappearance. Right out of the cartoon and one of the most memorable episodes. Heck the diamond even got a cameo in the 200X cartoon. Unlike the sword, the box is more of a silver color and the diamond itself is made of a glow in the dark plastic. Some fans have said they would've preferred it to be more like an actual gem (like the Sword of Protection or the POP shields) but I believe the idea here was to create the glow of energy the diamond had in the cartoon. As a nice touch the box actually has grooves indented in the bottom so it can actually sit in the clenched hands of Skeletor. (or anyone else for that matter)

Lizard Man may not be the most cleverly named character, but he's a fun figure who makes a great addition to the line. It's always wonderful to get a sought after character who never had a figure before. And the extra Filmation artifacts, particularly the Diamond Ray of Disappearance, just make this all the better to kick off the year. Lizard Man sold out on Mattycollector.com so start looking to the secondary market for him. Good Luck and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never watched He-Man when I was younger. So I never collected any of the old figures but the quality of this newer figure is tops. Thanks for the review.

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the re-branding means no more toy guru Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: