80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Ninjor (Ninja Warrior)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Ninjor (Ninja Warrior) Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

time for another figure who had to be renamed due to trademark issues, but we all know who he is. (or maybe not -he was one of the rarer and more obscure figures in the vintage line) Never really thought MOTU would loose a character name to Power Rangers, but that is who slapped a trademark on Ninjor hence the figure has been released as Ninja Warrior.

Not a horrible alternate name, a hell of a lot better than Double Mischief, but at the same time not too original. Plus it makes him sound more like an army builder instead of an individual character. Perhaps they should have labeled him as "The Ninja Warrior" to clarify. At any rate he comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package. The back shows off a selection of other figures in the line and presents a new bio for the character. There's also a star blurb on the front with a nod to the vintage package message.

Oh NOW they finally use the "Real name unknown" card. Now that we've had to endure Hek-Tor-Kur and Squiddish Rex among other atrocities. Not sure about why it's a spell of light, but it was consistent through his different media appearances that it was a spell of Skeletor's that summoned him. (often the same spell that summoned Scare Glow) The bit about him picking off the heroes one by one comes from the licensing guide, but the part about him being a spy for Horde Prime is all new Toyguru fan fiction and is likewise pointless, doesn't really make sense, and actually detracts from the character.

But by now I'm sure everyone has long since learned to ignore the bios, so let's concentrate on the actual figure. Ninjor is made up of mostly the standard male buck, but features the Kobra Khan forearms and boot tops as well as Skeletor hands and feet. This is keeping in line with the vintage figure who had these parts despite looking otherwise human. One thing I want to point out is that FINALLY they painted the figure with the feet and claws all one color instead of doing the claws a different shade and thus kind of making it look like his nails are poking through holes in the boots, which is something that's bugged me about such figures since the first year.

Ninjor's articulation is standard for figures in the line. His head is on a ball joint; ball joints at the shoulders and hips; swivels at the biceps, wrists and waist; standard joints at the elbows, knees and ankles; and of course the mid torso ab crunch articulation. It's worth noting that his left hand is the more open version, but he still can grip most of his weapons in it though not as tightly.

Like the vintage figure, Ninjor comes with a ton of weapons. He includes a katana, which is nicely detailed and painted in a more metallic look and sculpted with a wrapped hilt. He has a set of nunchucks, though unlike the vintage which had a real metal chain, these are done in all one piece plastic. Now it is a softer plastic so it will flex and you can get two handed poses, but it's still a little disappointing to not have a real chain like the vintage, especially since we have seen real chains in this line before. Then there is his bow which is modeled right after the vintage design with the arrow sculpted in place on the bow itself. As a new feature though he also includes a quiver of arrows. The arrows do not come out of the quiver, but the quiver does feature clips for storing the extra weapons on his back. The quiver has a peg that plugs into the back of the figure's armor, kind of like a GI Joe backpack but the hole's only in the armor not the figure itself. It's also molded in such a way that it only fits in the one position.

One last accessory included is an extra belt/loincloth piece that is not really for Ninjor himself. He can wear it, is shown with it on the back of the package, and it does look pretty good on him, however it is actually modeled after the 200X Jitsu staction's. When Jitsu was released in Classics many fans were upset this part was not included, so it's great to finally get it and it does make him look a lot cooler. Again the red and gold paint job works with Ninjor if you don't have Jitsu, but if you do I feel it looks even better on him. It should be noted that the peg is initially attached in the package and is pretty well hidden on the side so be careful prying it apart to put on the figure. In turn though it is then a bit tricky to get the pin fully back in on the figure, hence why once I put it on Jitsu I decided not to take it back off again.

Now I don't have any of the actual vintage Ninjor weapons, but I do have the gold version of the bow that came with the three towers of Eternia playset. It's the same mold so you can see the similarity, just note the vintage Ninjor's was silver. Also notice that in scale comparison the Classics version is a bit smaller. The other obvious difference is how the vintage figure had a cloth tunic and hood. Given the standard for the line it was to be expected that the new version would have plastic clothing, but the Horsemen went further and designed it so now it looks more like a leather armor with straps. The dragon around the sword logo that was a pattern on the vintage tunic now looks more like an armor breastplate. Also his hood has more of a leather mask look than cloth. These details do look very good though and I'm wondering if the Horsemen did this as a way of working planned 200X designs into the Classics figure as they were not able to get to Ninjor during the 200X line.

The vintage figure's hood could be removed showing his face, (Contrary to common misinformation the vintage Ninjor is not the same mold as Jitsu's head) though it was all one piece with the tunic so it was tough to display him unmasked but not shirtless. The Classics version's masked head is separate and he comes with an alternate head that shows his unmasked version. The face is clearly modeled and updated though there are a couple differences such as the Classic's ponytail sticking out behind the head in a wind swept look while the vintage was more of a Japanese topknot that laid across the scalp. Also both Classics heads feature more demonic eyes that are black with red pupils.

Some fans argue that Ninjor is a bit out of place in MOTU, which I never understood particularly since the same people have no qualms with Jitsu. Personally I find him to fit in perfectly and even be one of the cooler looking villains in the line. The Classics version, I feel, looks amazing and the only real faults I can find are minor nitpicks like the lack of real chain on the nunchucks and how the sash near his waist is lighter, more brownish, than the black of his armor. But overall he turned out great, is loaded with weapons and even has a piece to improve/complete Jitsu. I'm very pleased with the results. Ninjor is sold out on Mattycollector.com so happy hunting and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: