80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Light Hope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Light Hope Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

We've had a few add on mini-subs for the line so far and until now they were made up of just six figures each. This year we got the much needed Club Etheria and with it came a figure no one expected, partly because this was the first time the add on featured a subscription exclusive (usually reserved for the main sub) but also because it's a character that was never expected to have a figure made of him.. owing to the fact that until now he never had a body! For the first time in figure form we have Light Hope.

Light Hope was a regular character on the She-Ra cartoon, acting much in the same role as the Sorceress as he was the keeper of the Crystal Castle and served as a sort of mentor to She-Ra since he was near omniscient about all that happened in Etheria and knew most of the world's history as well. Light Hope was not shown as a physical body though but rather an energy being represented by a shimmering rainbow of light. So how do you make a figure of him? Some creative liberties were taken.

Light Hope comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package complete with the Princess of Power logo sticker on the bubble. The back of the box shows off other figures in the line and presents a bio for Light Hope in the Classics continuity. Although it does seem to contradict the information previously given on the Etheria map bio.

And notice how they use a picture of his Filmation light being appearance. Honestly I'm not liking this bio as it's pretty much a rehash of all the plot points surrounding She-Ra, Etheria and such that I've already gone into detail in previous reviews about how and why I don't like them. It mentions him giving up his physical form but isn't clear on if the figure was what he looked like before or is still an energy form, which is a good question as we look at the actual figure.

Light Hope uses a mixture of old and new parts to create a unique character that gives off both a kingly and wizard like vibe to it. Fitting considering his role in the mythos. His main body is made of a translucent pink plastic that in the right light actually has a rainbowish reflectiveness to it. I will once again point out that the problems that occurred with the Goddess' clear plastic was due to the "sonic welding" assembly process used on that figure and not the actual material. In other words, don't worry about Light Hope being fragile and crumbling apart. That said, I must note that my figure has a loose ab crunch articulation point, though I don't think this is standard.

Light Hope's armor is bright shiny golden in color and the design is reminiscent of the vintage Crystal Castle playset. Particularly when placed against the pink of his body, and with the large gem in the center much like the castle's large crystal. He practically is a "Crystal Castle Man" to go along with Castle Grayskull Man. On his back is a low hanging cape which is done with a white outside and pearled interior that adds to the shiny light reflectiveness. The cape is permanently attached to the armor, though the armor itself is removable like most in the line.

His head is designed with a helmet that is similar to She-Ra's headgear with the large gold wings adorning the sides. The face sculpt has a regal kingly feel to it that may be due the the beard. Despite the beard and high collar his head articulation is not hindered. Many fans do feel though that it would have been a nice and appropriate tribute to have his face sculpted to look like Lou Scheimer. Many feel Lou deserves to be immortalized in figure form for his contributions to MOTU, and since he developed and voiced the character it fits. In a way Lou Scheimer was Light Hope.

For an accessory Light Hope has a staff. The main staff is clear plastic but the head is designed as a miniature of the Crystal Castle as it appeared in the Filmation series. Which like most things was quite different than the toy version and, in my opinion, much cooler and more majestic looking.

Light Hope is an important character in the mythos, however I must admit I have slight mixed feelings about this, his first figure. It is a great looking figure that came out very well and I like it a lot. However, I'm not fully on board with the idea of an actual physical body for him. Unlike Horde Prime, who we clearly could tell was a figure hidden behind smoke and lights, Light Hope was an actual energy being. He wasn't obscured by that beam of light, he IS that beam of light. To be fair there was at least one issue of the UK comic that depicted Light Hope as an actual person, looking like a simple white bearded king, but the majority of his appearances -most importantly his Filmation appearance- was that of a being composed of pure light with no humanoid body form. I can accept him having had a body once a long time ago and later turned into the energy form though, so there is something to work with there, and again this actual figure itself is a very cool design.

Light Hope was the subscription exclusive figure for Club Etheria, so he was not and never will be sold regularly on the site. If you didn't get the mini-cub you're going to have a tough time getting your hands on him. Good Luck and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I see why this line is about to die. Yuck. What a terrible design and color palette. Hate the bearded face, should have been Lou Scheimer or at least clean shaven.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: