80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Ceratus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Ceratus Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Our club 200X series continues on with another character introduced in the MYP cartoon series and it's another one of those guys who looks monstrous and evil, but is actually a good guy. Though in the case of Ceratus here it's a little more excusable to initially think he's a bad guy as he is clearly of the same race as Whiplash. Turns out though Whiplash is actually the odd one out and a traitor to his people. Ceratus was also depicted as a bit more arrogant and foul tempered, but still on the right side.

Ceratus comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package fully showcasing the figure within. Flipping it around to the back you get a look at other figures in the line and a bio for the character. One thing I don't approve of right off the bat though is how he is listed as the ruler of Subternia. He's not, he's just the leader of the Caligars who live in Subternia -along with other races. Heck that's the big plot point in the show; his rivalry with the fellow Subternian race of Speleans.

Some poor choice of wording here too. By saying he fought with Miro makes it sound like they were fighting each other when it should say he fought alongside Miro. (actually it SHOULD say he fought alongside Randor) It's also not stated here, but implied elsewhere in continuity that it was Whiplash who was responsible for the destruction. On that note it's not mentioned here that Ceratus is Whiplash's brother, though it does give his same last name and is stated in Whiplash's bio. To the best of my recollection they never actually mentioned the relation in the cartoon though. Ceratus referred to Whiplash as a traitor and didn't even want his name spoken in his presence, but I don't remember any mention of being brothers.

Out of the package the first thing you need to do is assemble Ceratus' tail. It just plugs into the body easy enough and gives it a swivel articulation point. While similar to Whiplash, it is a complete new sculpt with spikes towards the shoulder blades and the spiky ball tip of the tail which was a trait held by the whole Caligar race in 200X.

Ceratus is made up of a mixture of old and new parts. He has the scaly buck torso with an overlay attached on top. It is a bit different and bigger than the Whiplash version so it does stick out a bit more, but still flows together without really looking like bulky armor. His shoulders are also similar to the scaly ones, but have sculpted spikes on them.

Articulation is pretty standard in addition to the tail swivel. He's got a head shoulders and thighs on ball joints, standard joints at the elbows knees and ankles, and swivels at the wrists, biceps and waist. No boot cut swivels as he is a bare legged character. He does have the mid torso ab crunch but I find mine is kinda tight and hard to move in part because of the overlay which is right up against his belt.

The head sculpt on Ceratus is very well done with the large ears and horns. His face captures that proud stubborn leader look that fit the character. Paint job is excellent all over but especially the little details like his nose ring. That one is part of the head sculpt and painted metallic gold, but his earrings are actual metal pierced through the ears. This not only looks better, but they will dangle and swing a bit as his head moves making it a great detail.

While Ceratus and Whiplash are supposed to be brothers, there is a lot of differences in the figures since Whiplash was done in vintage style while Ceratus is pure 200X. Whiplash did include a 200X style head, however the green on that is a different lighter shade so it doesn't look right on the body nor vica versa. Now a good customizer could repaint it to match and then it would work great for a full Classics 200X Whiplash but as is not so much.

Ceratus comes with one accessory which is his bone axe/scepter thing. I'm not really sure what it is, but he had it in the cartoon and the weapon matches the look as seen.

Ceratus is another one of those characters I wasn't pining for and wouldn't have been upset if we never got, but now that we do have him he is a good addition to the line. I do wish the Whiplash head worked with the body better, but that's more a case of Whiplash being done too bright than a fault of this figure. Ceratus came out very well sculpted and looks great standing with the other Eternian Council members. Looking at them all together now I actually want a Queen Andreno to go along with them and expand the lineup.

Ceratus is no longer available on Mattycollector.com so happy hunting and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up, always love your MOTUC posts!

Check out my YouTube channel and subscribe please! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely- totally agree. You always do a great job with it! Very Happy Cool

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by me." - Jesus (John 14:6)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: