80sCartoons.net Forum Index

The Mysterious Cities of Gold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mendoza
Radical

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: The Mysterious Cities of Gold Reply with quote

Hi guys. Long while since I've posted on here, but I wanted to share my views in an arena that'd appreciate them.

I've just completed my decadely watch of this stunning TV show, every May when the year ends in 3 I watch all 39 episodes, and what a stunning acheivement it is.

I have often said that Thundercats is my all-time favourite cartoon, but it isn't perfect, Snarf's presence is a major downer and not every episode is up to the high standards of the very best ones...

...But MCOG is flawless. It's a mindblowing epic, a sheer tour de force of gorgeous animation, genius conception, superb characterization and a sublime narrative which is kept at the same thrilling pace for the entire run. That's not the mention the score which has never been equalled.

It's an absolute honour to be able to indulge myself in this outstanding series and watch in awe the adventures of Esteban and co, and to enjoy the fabulous Mendoza whose true intentions you're never quite sure of to the very end.

This show pulls no punches with its audience, it will depict pain, suffering, death and murder, it will feature a 13 year old boy rammed into the side of a mountain and a plot to steal the cells of children to empower a dying race of underground creatures.

I enjoyed it as a child and I have enjoyed it equally so as an adult, so enriching is its tapestry and its legacy, I can't really say enough about it, other than its greatest animated series in the history of worldwide television.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- some high praise indeed. I haven't seen "The Mysterious Cities of Gold" myself, but I've heard much about it. Maybe one of these days I will get a hold of the DVD to watch it.

However, on this point-
Quote:
I have often said that Thundercats is my all-time favourite cartoon, but it isn't perfect, Snarf's presence is a major downer and not every episode is up to the high standards of the very best ones...

ThunderCats is one of my all time favorite cartoons (though I don't pick one as my favorite, since I love so many cartoons)- but this is a great one. And I love Snarf myself, but anyway- I don't want to sidetrack the thread on that-lol. Laughing

I like the music for "The Mysterious Cities of Gold" and the history and fantasy it draws on for the story. It seems like one I'd probably like if I ever got a chance to see it- I think this must have been a cable show that I just didn't get as a kid...

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Mendoza
Radical

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need to see this series. It's unspeakably brilliant

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep it in mind, especially after such high praise. Very Happy Cool

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally just picked up the DVD set, it really is a wonderful series! One of the more obscure English dubbed Anime series from the early 80s. I remember back in the day it was being broadcast simultaneously on the Bible Channel and at 6 AM on Nickelodeon.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this show really count as anime? I thought it was a French [or if not there, somewhere in Europe] production...

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Does this show really count as anime? I thought it was a French [or if not there, somewhere in Europe] production...

It is a French and Japanese coproduction. It was animated by a Japanese company. Produced by DiC and Studio Pierrot. Same deal as Ulysses 31.... Since they were animated by a Japanese company and look exactly like anime style, I consider them to be an anime series despite being produced for a foreign market. There actually quite a few anime series that Americans and French produced that never made it outside Japan.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I guess it does have the same kind of anime style- but this show is one of the rare anime shows that I do like then. (I am open to most all kinds of style as far as animation goes, but anime is just not a favorite for me- except for a select few shows.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: