80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Favorite heroes, villains, and funny animals of the 80's!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReComposed
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Favorite heroes, villains, and funny animals of the 80's! Reply with quote

I haven't posted a summary topic like this for awhile, so here goes: in general, who were your favorite dashing heroes, dastardly villains, and/or wise-cracking animals of the animated 1980's? There will be a lot more than on this list, but just to get started...

G.I. Joe: Lady Jaye and Cobra Commander! As far as heroes went, I was all about LJ as a kid. Of course, Cobra Commander is legend in his ability to come up with gonzo plots that nevertheless would have worked out exactly as he wanted if the Joes hadn't been there to stop him.

Transformers: Starscream! Popular character, I know, but it's not for nothing - he walks the line between terrifying and hilarious and can land on either side (or both) in any given episode. Prowl is fun, too!

Ghostbusters: Egon and Samhain! Egon had some of the best lines in the series, especially in his banter with Peter. Samhain was unique among the villains in that he was sympathetic - he genuinely thought he was in the right and you could see why he was doing the things he did - without that diminishing his threat or making a "woobie" out of him.

Dungeons and Dragons: Eric and Venger! Eric's character growth was wonderful to watch, and Venger's one of the most no-nonsense villains ever; he doesn't mess around with elaborate deathtraps or pull punches.

Thundercats: I loved Pumyra; she didn't get a whole lot of air time, but the one episode she got to herself- Mumm-Rana's Belt- is bar none one of the best in the series. Goes without saying I love Mumm-Ra, because of course I do.

Inhumanoids: DeCompooooose! And Sandra Shore, naturally. I still love Sandra whipping the thugs her brother tried to send after her, and her transformation. DeCompose, meanwhile, is a far more clever, subtle villain than he looks like he'd be, with a cool lair to boot.

Mostly I included the animal category for my cousin, who loved Heathcliff and Rude Dog. Smile

And many more! So, anybody else?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ReComposed- nice topic idea! Very Happy Cool

So, you're looking for animated Heroes and Villians? Here you go. Cool Wink

(Couldn't pass up a Beach Boys reference- love that band!)
Smile

Anyway- there are tons that could be listed [and some will be rather obvious], but some of my favorites....

G.I. Joe- Duke and Gung-Ho would be some of my favorites.

Transformers- Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.

ThunderCats- I'm Lion-O! Smile

(By the way, I'm wearing my ThunderCats T-shirt while posting this. Laughing )

SilverHawks- Quicksilver mainly- and definitely Bluegrass for that awesome guitar riff in the opening theme song!
(Random Youtube post to go with this- footage of I'm guessing a fanmade video game based on the cartoon. Smile)

The Comic Strip- [TigerSharks]- Mako and Dolph because he's funny.
[Karate Kat]- Karate Kat, of course. [Street Frogs]- um... Moose the Loose, I guess. Honestly, while it's okay- this was probably my least favorite of the series- but I'll still watch it anyway. [The Mini-Monsters]- Hard to say because I love a lot of them... maybe Frankie and Dracky and Mumm-O- those three are usually a good team for laughs. And Sherman and Melissa serve well as the straight men.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Well, I think most say Michelangelo, and I do love the dude- really, I love all of them- but I think Leonardo was always one of my favorites. (But hey- Donatello and Raphael are cool too [but Raph's rude- according to the theme song. lol])

(You may notice a trend here- I love all the leader characters typically...)

Bravestarr- Bravestarr. Very Happy

The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers- Okay, here's one exception. He wasn't really the leader of the group, but he was definitely "the cool one", if you will. (Kinda like how Wolverine is typically viewed of The X-Men.) - I definitely go with Goose on this one. This is one of my favorites from childhood.

Defenders of the Earth- Well, mainly the leads- but Flash Gordon and The Phantom particularly, since I remember reading The Phantom comic strip a lot as a kid.

Superman (1988 cartoon)- Superman, of course! (Who is my favorite superhero ever!)

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends- Spider-Man, Iceman and Firestar! Love them all!

Inspector Gadget- Inspector Gadget, Penny and Brain- and Chief Quimby. (Seriously- I'm no good at picking just one character.)

I can definitely do more action series, but here's one that's not really an action series, but I think still counts as a hero.

The New Archies- Archie Andrews - the everyman hero. Smile

but let's move on to funny animals-

Heathcliff and Garfield. Enough said. Very Happy

(But other favorite animal characters [not sure that they're all that funny necessarily though- some are though.])-

The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin- Teddy Ruxpin

The Raccoons- Bert Raccoon

The Smurfs- Brainy Smurf and Jokey Smurf (Smurfette for being the conscience of the group and Papa Smurf served in that role some too.)

The Snorks- All Star

Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers- (I count this because it started in 1989)- Gadget Hackwrench and Dale. (But of course, I love Chip, Monterrey Jack and Zipper too.) I'm really no good at these sticking-to-one-character things. lol

The Adventures of the Gummi Bears- Cubby and Tuffy and Zummi.

Not a funny animal, but definitely a funny alien I have to list-

ALF: The Animated Series and ALF Tales- ALF Smile

And I'm sure there are others I forgot.....

Very Happy

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
ReComposed
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, great list (and great T-shirt, lol)! I can't believe I didn't mention any Turtles (Donatello was my fave but they're all great) or Disney characters (like Scrooge McDuck in DuckTales).

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah- thanks. (about the T-shirt)
Very Happy

Oh yes- definitely DuckTales! (Woohoo!) Very Happy - I would go with Uncle Scrooge too. In many ways, he fit the bill as his literary predecessor, but he's definitely the Ebenezer of Christmas Day rather than the one of Christmas Eve. He's a miser with a heart of gold.

Talespin stretches the boundaries as it started in 1990, but if I can list that one- I would go with Baloo and Kit, of course. (Though Don Karnage is always hilarious too. I also like Baloo and Becky's relationship, as well as the team of Baloo and Louie.)
(Coincidentally, I just picked up a few Talespin comic books at random at an antique mall the other day.) Smile

Do the animals of Muppet Babies count for the funny animals category? 'Cause all of them would be in there- Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Skeeter, Animal, Beaker, Bunsen, Janice, Bean Bunny and Uncle Statler and Uncle Waldorf- and of course, Nanny. (Okay- not all of those are actually animals.) But I love them all!

And he was around long before the '80s, but he also had a number of cartoon incarnations unique to the 1980s- thus, I would love to include Scooby-Doo (mainly for his appearance on "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo"- which I LOVE!) That whole series is such a funny take on Scooby-Doo...much funnier than I feel the "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo" series will be. (Which is supposed to be airing this week on Cartoon Network and/or Boomerang, by the way. [Not sure which].)

For another character who was around long before the '80s but also had iconic cool cartoon series in the '80s- Yogi Bear.
Yogi's Treasure Hunt is a great '80s cartoon series featuring Yogi Bear and much of the Hanna-Barbera funny animals gang- Quick Draw McGraw, Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound, Boo Boo, Snagglepuss, etc. I like them all, but Yogi and Boo Boo would probably be favorites for me on this one. (I also like Quick Draw and Top Cat and Snagglepuss a lot in their own cartoons as well.)

In the same category as well- The Flintstone Kids. I loved this adaptation of the Bedrock gang- and it's hard to list Fred Flintstone without also listing Barney Rubble and of course, Betty and Wilma. And Captain Caveman and Son showed up on there too.

Speaking of shows with sons- here are a few other favorites from the '80s.

Popeye and Son - I'm probably one of the few Popeye fans who actually enjoyed this iteration.

Pink Panther and Sons- I don't remember this one terribly well, but I did used to have a Pink Panther stuffed animal most likely released in connection with this series. And I certainly love the classic Pink Panther cartoons and the unforgettable Henry Mancini theme song.

And he's kind of a hero in his own rights- so I'll include Richie Rich on this list, who did have his own cartoon series in the early '80s- alongside none other than Scooby-Doo! (and Shaggy and Scrappy-Doo, of course.)

Yabba-Doo was also a creation unique to one of the many '80s versions of Scooby and I would count him as a favorite too.

Also- one more to shoehorn in- The Jetsons had new episodes created in the '80s, so I can technically list them as favorites too, right? (George Jetson has to be a hero for the working man and woman everywhere, right? Smile )

ReComposed
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, the Muppet Babies! I loved Rowlf especially. Gonzo was fun, too. I remember the time they were discussing who their babysitter was going to be, and Gonzo suggested Darth Vader.

Also, Skeletor. I liked Skeletor. (And He-Man, too, but really I was showing up for ol' bonehead.) Shredder from TMNT was a grate... I mean great... villain, too.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Shredder ever needed a backup career, he could have tried out for The Grateful Dead. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: