80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Cy-Chop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Cy-Chop Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

We're up to number 5 of the 6 figures in the MOTU 30th Anniversary sub line. Another all new character never seen before is introduced, and it's a bad guy this time. Presenting Cy-Chop.

Cy-Chop was created by Mattel designer Terry Higuchi, who has worked on the MOTUC line, as noted in the star burst on his package. His bubble also features the Evil Horde logo but is otherwise the standard MOTUC bubble package despite the oversized weapon hands. He's actually not as crammed in as Draego-Man was. As usual, the back of the box shows off other figures in the line. Most of them seem connected to him but Battle Armor Skeletor is there for some reason also.

Since this is a brand new character we have to rely on his bio to tell us about him. I can't really be overly critical since this is all new material but there are a couple things I question. The way it is worded it sounds like he fell from space to the surface of a moon. I also wonder what he looked like before the accident. (well I guess accident may not be the accurate term here) Are those his original arms and legs? How did they survive when everything else got smashed up? Why, if he was injured escaping the Horde, would he turn around and work for Hordak? And is Boa Jet a typo and meant to be the Bola Jet from the New Adventures line?

Looking at this figure you can see how he mixes old and new parts to create an undeniably unique look. Terry Higuchi stated that when he designed this character he went for a Japanese anime style look. I can see how that came out, or perhaps more of a Super Sentai look as he could pass for a Power Rangers monster.

Cy-Chop has a new head featuring a cyborg metal look with bright blue eyes. It does bear a slight resemblance to the Filmation villain Strongarm in this regard. His shoulders, biceps, legs and feet are all reused from Beast Man's buck painted blue. This gives the impression that, assuming these are his original organic limbs, he resembled X-Men's Beast before becoming a cyborg. Of course these legs do not have the boot top/calve swivel joint. The joints are for the most part tighter than Beast Man's were, though the right bicep on mine seems a bit loose. That may simply be due to the weight of the giant scissor hands however. These things are quite large and they do tend to throw off the figure's balance making it hard to pose him to stand on his own. He uses the Roboto forearms so his scissor hands do swivel at the "wrists". They are also articulated to open and close.

Of course since they are the Roboto arms, the attachments are removable and interchangeable with other parts from the other weapon hand figures in the line. As you can see Horde Prime's hands work really well with the figure without any color clashing. Cy-Chop himself does not include any additional arm attachments beyond his big scissors. He does however include a belt with loops similar to Trap Jaw. This is probably a nod to his past working with Kronis though as there is no indication in his bio that the scissor hands come off.

Speaking of that belt and Horde Prime, you actually can take the belt off the figure and if you combine it with Mighty Spector's body you can actually pull off a much closer to comic accurate version of the UK Horde Prime. So that's something for customizers to think about.

Cy-Chop features a reuse of the Roboto torso, though this time it's done in a more translucent teal blue instead of straight clear. This does of course mean he likewise has no mid torso ab crunch articulation. In place of moving gears though, his chest houses some of his organic guts in gruesome detail. They do not move like Roboto's gears do, but then would you want them to?

You kind of have to feel a bit sorry for this guy. Evil as he may have been, look at what's become of him! Not only in appearance but think about how he has to live. You can see his stomach and intestines in his chest so he must still need to eat, but how can he feed himself with those giant scissor hands? While he does have his digestive track preserved, there is no sign of a heart or lungs in his chest! Does he not need them but does need the other guts? If he doesn't need to eat anymore why preserve the intestines at all? Seriously, how is this guy even alive?

Cy-Chop is one of the more interesting new characters from the 30th Anniversary line. Draego-Man is still #1, but this is one figure who I can see fitting in as though he was around in the vintage line. However, I do think if he had been made back then, his scissor hands would not have been so huge. I think they would have been a much more practical size and then blown up like this for the 200X line. Well Mattel does call the 200X style "Hyper anime detail" and Cy-Chop was designed with anime detail in mind. Still I do think they perhaps should have made them smaller. They may seem like a cool weapon, but would be cumbersome and difficult to use effectively in battle if for no other reason than enemies would avoid them. If you saw someone with blades that big coming at you wouldn't you keep your distance? I mean who would be stupid enough to come within range of those things?

just joking around Scott

As of this posting Cy-Chop is still available on Mattycollector.com, but is marked as Almost Gone so if you want him you'd better hurry. Good Luck and, until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea Tim Burton ripped off Edward Scissorhands from this guy. Laughing

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
petterchan
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice review dude i like the scissor hands as his weapon looking good

hasondea
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Burton ripped off Edward Scissorhands from this guy. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: