80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Sir Laser Lot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Sir Laser Lot Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

We're up to our fourth figure in the 30th anniversary sub line of Masters of the Universe Classics. How does he stand up to the rest of the line? Is he at least more interesting than the Mighty Spector? Let's take a look at Sir Laser Lot.

Sir Laser Lot comes on the standard MOTUC blister card package. The front of the bubble features a Powers of Grayskull logo sticker as this new figure is a Preternian character who worked for King Grayskull. There is also a star blurb letting you know that Sir Laser Lot was created by Geoff Johns of DC Comics fame. The back of the box, as always, features other figures in the line, all Preternian (Or at least time traveled), and gives us a new bio to tell us some more about the character.

Oh great, NOW they start using the "Real name: Unknown" thing. Where was this when we were getting stuck with Squiddish Rex and Hec-Tor Kur? You'd think I'd be happy they finally started doing it, but as I understand it this was done by request of Geoff Johns and won't become a normal thing.

I don't really have a problem with this guys' back story until we get to the part about him being brought to the future by a time agent (Toyguru confirms it was Spector) to be the new Man-At-Arms. First of all it's already established that Clamp Champ took over for Duncan. So why do we need yet another one? What happened to Clamp Champ? was he yet another character to get killed off, or did he just get kicked out of the kingdom after he apparently killed Duncan, right when he was turning back into a human? Secondly, if you're going to go back in time and bring someone to be the Man-At-Arms, why not just prevent Duncan from dying?

Toyguru gave an attempted answer that basically they can't change history but Sir Laser Lot was a special case as Spector was able to snatch him away at the moment of what would have been his untimely death thus history remained unchanged. I don't accept that. I have to basically call on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: the mere fact that you are present changes the outcome. So history is going to be altered no matter what, you might as well try to change it for the better. And besides that, He-Man and Mighty Spector participated in the first Ultimate Battleground so they clearly don't have an issue with changing the past.

There is another take on his story. Geoff Johns did a short digital comic which you can still download now from comicXology for only 99 cents. It gives us part of a background for his powers and an alternate take on how he winds up in the future as it is set in a different continuity than the MOTUC bios. Frankly though it seems to raise more questions than it answers, though it does show us what he looks like unmasked.

Oh and the thing about He-Man's son Dare... well that's from the proposed but rejected spin-off animated series "He-Ro Son of He-Man". Apparently it's being worked in to the actual canon now. Dare was not He-Man's biological son though, he was found and adopted. The search for who his real parents were was going to be a running plot point and ultimately it was going to turn out he was in fact Adora's long lost son. We'll have to wait and see where they go in the new continuity though. Of course with the reworking of the line after the subscription scare we may not get to concept characters like this for some time if at all now.

So let's look at the actual figure now. Aside from his armor and head he is a reuse of existing parts. He uses the standard buck for the majority of his body, the gloved forearms and hands, Roboto loincloth, and Bow's boots and feet. his head features a knight motif, but also has some futuristic looks with the silver visor and the small gun on the side. There is a plume coming out of the top which is translucent red as though it is made of laser as well. It is glued in place and does not move. Originally I think it was going to but the final product does not. Unlike Stratos' wings the glue seal is not easily broken and I've heard some people who've tried it damaged the figure so I don't recommend it.

His armor, with the attached cape, is actually very similar to He-Ro's, and at first I thought it was the same mold slightly remodeled. Having it in hand though I can see it is in fact a new mold. There isn't as much sculpted muscles as He-Ro and the pegs are different. He-Ro had two round pegs on each side while Laser Lot has one long slot peg on each side. Then, of course, there is the red triangle in the center, which is his Gem of Talmadge. Since it's a gem it would have been nice to have it translucent like the plume. This could not be done though because they could not make the whole armor out of the translucent material. (Not quite sure why it couldn't be tooled with the other translucent parts then glued on the armor but...) Alternatively they could have used a metallic red paint to make it shine at least.

Laser Lot includes three accessories that all are designed as though they are energy weapons, fitting in with the name Laser Lot. First is a translucent blue shield featuring white deco patterns. It clips onto either arm, but because of the size of the clip it is too loose when put right on his wrist and must be positioned further up his glove, which can be a bit tricky to get on. Next is a spiked mace with a translucent red top. The handle is long enough to get a good two handed pose out of him, but seems to fit better in his left hand and slips down in his right.

This is probably due to him coming in the package with his sword already in his right hand. This, sadly led to some nasty paint rub off on mine. Still, the sword itself is pretty cool, it's a laser sword those are always cool, and hopefully we'll soon see a similar one on a certain Adora loving pirate.

So that's pretty much it. He's not my favorite, but I do think he's more interesting than say Mighty Spector (or to use a vintage character Rotar) and the whole knight with laser weapons fits into the MOTU world. I think what bothers me really is the color scheme. I've seen photoshops of him done in a black and silver color scheme and I thought he looked much cooler that way. The blue outfit with the silver face plate is very Cobra Commander looking and the red and blue also seem very Superman like.

Oh and by the way, when you take off his armor his neck area is painted red as well... so I am now obligated to make a Jeff Foxworthy joke here.

At the time of this posting Sir Laser Lot is still available on Mattycollector.com but is marked as Almost Gone so if you want him better hurry. Good Luck and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a G.I. Joe fan, I really appreciate the Cobra Commander comparison in this one. lol Laughing (Not to mention the Jeff Foxworthy joke- nice. Cool )

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: