80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Battle Armor He-Man

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Battle Armor He-Man Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Today we're going to take a look at a figure not currently up for reissue, but I took these photos to do the review a while back and never did so I figured now's as good a time as any. So let's take a quick look at Battle Armor He-Man.

BA He-Man was the first official quarterly variant in the MOTUC line. We had gotten bonus figures of Zodak and The Goddess the months before, but they were straight repaints using existing parts and were also made individual characters. This figure was an actual alternate version of the main hero and utilized new tooling.

BA He-Man comes in the standard MOTUC packaging. There's a blurb on the bubble describing his feature with his armor showing dents, though as we'll soon see it is done rather different than the vintage figure. The back of the box shows off other figures in the line and presents a bio for the character.

I really liked it better when bios were like this, explaining the figure/character itself without creating a whole new continuity that just doesn't work. Overall I think this is a good bio but there does seem to be one contradiction. First it says Adam gets new armor to adapt to new enemies and situations, then it says the Battle Armor was used in early battles. Well why would he turn to using less armor when bigger dangers showed up?

Moving on to the figure itself, there is little difference between it and the regular He-Man mold wise except that BA has the flat ab torso which is painted silver to go with the armor. Otherwise it's the same all over, though sadly my figure has rather weak ankles. I know this is not the norm. (Pixel Dan stated his had very tight joints) I just tend to display mine sitting on Battle Cat rather than fight to get him to stand.

Battle Armor He-Man's armor is made of a hard plastic and comes apart much like the hard plastic armor of the vintage figures, with tabs at the top and bottom. They are not as brittle as the vintage figures' but I would still advise caution when removing the armor. And you have to remove it if you want to change the battle damage. The vintage Battle Armor figures had rotating drums in their chests that moved when struck to turn to the new damage. Since the Classics line lacks action features, and also has a limited tooling budget, the Four Horsemen created a way to switch out the battle damage. The center of the armor has removable plates that pop out so you can snap in a new one to show the amount of damage you want.

While creative, this does make the figure lack some of the appeal of the vintage. It can be a real pain having to constantly take off the armor to switch things out.

Another problem is these chest plates count towards the accessory budget and therefore BA He-Man comes with only one weapon; his battle ax. While a lot of vintage box art depicts Ba He-Man with his ax, if you can only give him one weapon it really should be his Power Sword. There's just something really wrong about a He-Man figure that doesn't have his Power Sword.

In comparison, the look of the vintage figure was perfectly captured and updated, though the spinning drum is missed. It obviously would have blown the budget to produce a new torso with an action feature, so I do think this was a good way to get out the display options.

Now there was a 200X figure named Battle Armor He-Man but it shared only the name and was in no way an update of the vintage figure. They did later release an actual update of BA He-Man in staction form but, alas, it is one of the two stactions I do not own. The best I can do is show you this stock photo. As you can see It greatly captures the look though there is no battle damage feature on any kind.

Much as I love MOTU I'm not a big fan overall of variants. To be fair that's largely due to the overabundance of ridiculously pointless ones in 200X which, let's face it, was the #1 factor that killed the line. Battle Armor He-Man is one of the cooler looking ones and a classic vintage one so he is more welcome but I must admit without the action feature he lacks something. Nevertheless he is a good display piece. For some reason I liked the Classics Battle Armor Skeletor more even though he has the same issues. That's probably because villains are just plain cooler looking I guess.

Battle Armor He-Man is sold out from Mattycollector.com so if you want this figure you need to check the secondary market. Good hunting and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: