80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Life in the 80s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain S.
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Life in the 80s Reply with quote

As someone who was born in the 90s, I don't know what it was like to live in my decade's predecessor. So, tell us about it! What was your experience? What were the news, culture, and everything in the 80s?

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the ladies (and many men's) fashions sucked.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1980s was a great time to be a kid. One of my fondest memories was trying to decide if I should stay awake all night, so I could catch the beginning of the Saturday Morning Cartoons blocks that began at 6am, or risk going to sleep and oversleeping. This was the big decision I faced in my youth.

The rest of the week was spent anxiously awaiting the new issue of Nintendo Power, so I could stay up to date on the latest and greatest video game news. For example, did you know that Kirk Cameron was a big fan of the NES. This is the kind of hard-hitting news Nintendo Power brought to my young mind every month. Smile

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I always DID love about the 80s: Classic arcades. Great places to hang out.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems that Nintendo Power and the Arcades were a really big part of that decade (weren't they also Skating rings?).

squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
Yeah, it seems that Nintendo Power and the Arcades were a really big part of that decade (weren't they also Skating rings?).

Skating rinks were not very popular in my area. However, there there is one that has been hanging on since the 80s. I have no idea how it stays afloat, but it is still in the same decrepit building it has occupied for 30 years.

squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LepricahnsGold wrote:
One thing I always DID love about the 80s: Classic arcades. Great places to hang out.

In the late 90s I worked at an arcade in the local mall. The pay was terrible, but I would spend hours after closing playing all the latest and greatest arcade titles. At least once a week the guys from the pizza joint would bring pizza and drinks for everyone and we would turn the machines to free play. Great fun was had by all.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's absolutely amazing, squidbee Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 1980s was a great time to be a kid. One of my fondest memories was trying to decide if I should stay awake all night, so I could catch the beginning of the Saturday Morning Cartoons blocks that began at 6am, or risk going to sleep and oversleeping. This was the big decision I faced in my youth.

The rest of the week was spent anxiously awaiting the new issue of Nintendo Power, so I could stay up to date on the latest and greatest video game news. For example, did you know that Kirk Cameron was a big fan of the NES. This is the kind of hard-hitting news Nintendo Power brought to my young mind every month. Smile

LOL! This right here sums up a lot of my memories of the 1980s. Well done. Smile Cool

I also fondly remember the arcades and days of Saturday morning cartoon blocks- those were awesome!
For the record, not everyone wore the fashions LG posted above. But yeah- there was certainly a look of the times, but I've never cared about fashion, so I can't really comment. (Though I do recall having some acid-washed jeans as a kid that were a thing around then.)

As for news events though, it's kinda surreal to remember news events about when the Berlin Wall came down (November 9, 1989) and then to see how relations between the USA and Russia have changed.
And I also remember the Baby Jessica story (about a baby girl being rescued from falling down a well)- that was big news in 1987.
I don't recall it quite as well, but the Challenger explosion in 1986 was also a big news story- and quite a sad one too, of course.
And there were some other sad stories like that in the late '80s- the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown in 1986 and the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989...
And of course, we had the first President George Bush then. (Kinda funny to remember both President Bushes now.)
And, of course, I remember when there was a country called Yugoslavia, which doesn't exist now. (It turned into a bunch of 'Stans', when the USSR fell. Smile )
Oh yeah- all kinds of stuff going on in the '80s.......

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Optimus Prime
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LepricahnsGold wrote:
In my opinion, the ladies (and many men's) fashions sucked

You never had a shellsuit?
Mikey
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well firstly, the 80s is by far the greatest generation of all time. The 80s was the perfect time to be a kid. Things were so much more simplistic back than. I don't know where to began. We had the best cartoons, tv shows, movies and sitcoms. We didn't have anywhere near the technology of today, but it was absolutely so much more fascinating. Kids back than weren't glued to the television like today, kids today are stuck inside playing the game consoles, as opposed to back than, kids were a little bit more creative and original. We went outside to have fun, play at the park, flying kites and riding bikes. Those were normalities for us. Kids dressed differently back than also, there were no pants hanging down or holes in pants. School was also incredibly different compared to today. Children were so much more respectful to the teachers back in the great 80s. If a kid was misbehaving in class, the teacher would warn the child that they were going to call there parents, the child would immediately straighten up. If a teacher says that to a kid today, they would probably just laugh in their face.

I always enjoyed going to the grocery store with my Mom, especially seeing how they had a television booth. Those were booths that were similar to a photo booth, but had a small television inside. I would put a dime in the coin slot and watch episodes of Woody Woodpecker, Casper, Chip and Dale, Donald Duck, etc. On Saturday Mornings, we had the best cartoons EVER. I woke up at around 6:30am and would watch cartoons all the way into the afternoon. They were on practically every channel. Superfriends, Smurfs, Turbo Teen, Alf, Spider-man and his Amazing Friends, Incredible Hulk, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Mr. T, The Littles, The Wuzzles, Hulk Hogan Rock and Wrestling, Superman, Heathcliff, Gummy Bears, Pound Puppies, Get Along Gang and Blackstarr to name a few were remarkable.

Around Christmas time, it was great to get out and enjoy the Christmas festivities. Practically everywhere you went in the 80s, it was decorations. Everyone was incredibly nice around that time of year. I enjoyed going out with my Mom when it came to Christmas shopping, especially the times we did last minute shopping. On Christmas mornings, I would wake up very early, around 5:00am. I would knock on the door of my parents before my brother and I went downstairs to open gifts (I did that because they wanted to take pictures) My Father would tell me to go back to bed just for a little while longer. They were probably exhausted from the night/morning before from staying up so late getting the gifts of my brother and I together. They had to make sure we were sleep. I didn't get to sleep until around 1:00am. When my brother and I did make it downstairs, we were greeted with all the gifts that we asked for and than some. We always got everything we wanted on our Christmas list.

Growing up in the 80s was very special. I will always remember the 80s as the greatest generation of all time.

Optimus Prime
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Christmas in the 80's, I remember me and my now ex brother and my sister, sitting in the bedroom one year and we all heard jingle bells, not the song, but actual bells coming from the roof, and well to a 7 year old, magic.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty cool and magical Christmas story. Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Optimus Prime
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

My mam and dad quickly told us to get to bed soon after, so we never got to find out who it was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: