80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Help name this toon or atleast tell me I did not imagine it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dross
Radical

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Help name this toon or atleast tell me I did not imagine it Reply with quote

Ok I have probably one of the most challenging 80s cartoons to remember. I have asked people for years now if they remember this cartoon and I am starting to feel I am the only one in the world that watched it so lets see if someone out there can please tell me the name it is killing me not being able to name it

It was set in Colonial America and was about a boy about 11-13 years old he lived on a farm with his mum, dad and a pet dog his best friend's name was Podawing and he lived a few miles away. Podawing had a larger family grand parents mum dad brothers sisters. It focused on them growing up in these times hunting bears wolves cougars and other adventures. Two of the major episodes was the giant grizzly bear that was threating the farms and how the main characters dog saved his life and fought the bear. The other episode was very sad and unexpected his best friend podawing dies of an illness.

If someone knows the name of this show or even says yes yes i saw it too but do not know the name i will be very happ

thanks peeps

Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try,...

Futterwing

-------------

dross
Radical

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Futterwing i think that was the name of the main character but i just did a search for the name on this site and on google but nothing at all where could i found some more info on it please if you know

Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click for Rottentomatoes.com entry
Futterwing

-----

dross
Radical

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at futterwing but the link to it seems to have a problem at the rottentomatoes site. It was about a boy with wooden wings strapped to his arms tiring to fly. I now do not think that was the name of cartoon i am discribing it was about colonial american farmilies living on farms please if someone knows what this is please help me

I can not get this out of my head it is bugging me thanks Straydog for your help so far but Futterwing is not it

Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked about a cartoon before
It's description sounds similiar to yours

click to view post
http://80scartoons.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312&highlight=futterwing

dross
Radical

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is exactly it so there is one other person in the world who knows this show thank god atleast for that I am not going crazy. Yes Futterwing was the kids name and it was his friend Podawing who dies of an illness we must get to the bottom of this it was a great show. It sounds boring to discribe but it was a good adventure cartoon like Belle and Sabastion or lost cities of gold.

Thanks heaps for your help so far straydog I have seen you have found most peoples lost cartoons on this site but I know this would be a hard one

dross
Radical

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey straydog i got in contact with the person who asked about the same cartoon about 3 years ago. He was absolutly thrilled to hear from me confirming that i had also seen the same cartoon. He is still trying after 3 years to find its name and I am also still in the hunt. It is amazing that in this modern day of the internet that still only 2 people know this show hehe.

If anyone reads this and knows this cartoon please post here you will be joining a very very exclusive club

Poit
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there were three!!!!!

I, too, remember that cartoon, and have spent the last two hours on the internet trying to find a trace of it. I ended up here and was delighted that two other people have seen it. Like Matt, in Sydney, I watched the cartoon on ABC in Australia, and absolutely loved it.

My memories of the show were very hazy (the boy dying is my most vivid, remember his chum woke up in the night thinking he'd heard the other boy calling his name to come and play...but that was the moment he died...). Thanks for reminding me of some other details...I now recall the episode with the bear.

Still no name though...

Icemage
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Straydog got it right the first time (as he often does).

There's precious little information about this cartoon anywhere on the Internet, but I did find this:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800327599/info

Quote:
Part of the Kids Club Series, which is designed to provide the best in non-violent family entertainment. Jody's friend Futterwing is secretly building a wooding flying apparatus. Their mission? To fly with the birds.

It mentions the main character Futterwing by name, and apparently the only media you can request from North American movie rental service Netflix is on VHS cassette, so it's entirely possible that it has never been released on DVD.

The show's name is actually called "Taking Flight" (1996)

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking Flight could be the single episode. Futterwing could be the series name (or the name of a group of cartoon movies). There could be another episode (or movie) with the info you mentioned.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Lost and Found All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: