80sCartoons.net Forum Index

The GoBots are going to DVD!!! :-)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! We now have a confirmed date.
"Challenge of the Gobots" - The Series Volume One DVD will be released on May 6th, 2014. (just about 2 weeks away)
It will be a Manufacture on Demand title from Warner Archive. It's a 3 disc set containing the first 30 episodes of the series. We should see a second volume come later down the road with the rest of the episodes for the series.
Nice to finally see this 1980s classic come to DVD! Very Happy Cool
Check out the cover art at the link.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Challenge-GoBots-The-Series-Volume-1/19725

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome news!

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool news!

Im looking forward to read your opinion of the DVD set once you get it, Mac Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we'll see. Smile
I remember seeing the Gobots some as a kid, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. I may want to rent it before I would buy it- I'm just always excited to see more 1980s cartoons on DVD- at least it's good to know they're available for whenever I have the money for them. Cool

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin with, I have bootlegs of the series and happily have my pre-order all lined up for the official release. Since I feel like I should support releases like this, especially, if I have vhs or other media copies.

I probably would say that very few things that I reacquaint myself with from my childhood live up to those memories. The series is, sorry to say, kinda lame. As a kid I watched the show, I had the toys, and at the time Tonka (who owned the US rights) was still a Minnesota (home state pride thing) company.

But, unfortunately, people (me) make the comparison with arguably a much better product all around with the Transformers. There are reasons why Transformers did better. Mattel eventually buying Tonka and not wanting two competing products, and generally the better product was what Mattel was already promoting. Also, the stories are just okay, and don't require to much thinking.

I enjoy GoBots for the memories the cartoon and toys gave me. But, me today, would probably have passed on it. I guess what I am saying is if this series was a favorite and well remembered, I would say go for it for the nostalgia. If this cartoon only filled a very minor slot when Transformers were not on, skip it, save some Energon Cubes and get the "other" aliens who are robots and also vehicles cartoon! Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't recall watching a ton of Gobots as a kid, but I feel like I probably saw an episode here and there. I agree; it was kind of the cartoon to watch when Transformers wasn't on. I think even as a kid, some folks kinda knew [or held the view] that Transformers was the real deal and Gobots was the clone- lol. Still- I would probably enjoy watching some Gobots again- but it would definitely be a rental for me. But it's a fun '80s cartoon and in my opinion still way better than a lot of stuff on today- so yeah, I'm happy to see it available on DVD.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall having a Gobots toy though- pretty sure I had Mach-3 (or a toy close to him- I know it transformed into a jet about his same size, but I recall it being white...
http://tfu.info/Gobots/Guardians/Mach-3/mach-3.htm

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
I do recall having a Gobots toy though- pretty sure I had Mach-3 (or a toy close to him- I know it transformed into a jet about his same size, but I recall it being white...

Leader 1 was pretty similar, kinda greyish white. Maybe he is your dude?

http://tfu.info/Gobots/Guardians/Leader-1/leader-1.htm

ps Thanks for the link to a neat site!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom! I'm pretty sure that's the dude.

Quote:
ps Thanks for the link to a neat site!

You're welcome. Glad you enjoy the site. Smile

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this?

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpFork wrote:
Any updates on this?

I got my set in early June from shopwarner.com, and they look and play really nice. They are remastered from original film, and look much better than my bootlegs. Very Happy

Here is what the package looks like...

My bootleg, for comparison...

Also this set is now at amazon.com, which is a plus for international buyers. I hope they release the remaining episodes, as this is only the first 30. All in all I am happy with the outcome.

Hope this helps! Very Happy

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:

My bootleg, for comparison...

Also this set is now at amazon.com, which is a plus for international buyers. I hope they release the remaining episodes, as this is only the first 30. All in all I am happy with the outcome.

Hope this helps! Very Happy

Ya know? what really kills it is that so uninspired "disc 2" printed on the front of the disc. Otherwise it looks really neat.

Nice to know that you got the real thing, though. And thank you for sharing that useful info for us outside the US.

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
Ya know? what really kills it is that so uninspired "disc 2" printed on the front of the disc. Otherwise it looks really neat.

Nice to know that you got the real thing, though. And thank you for sharing that useful info for us outside the US.

It is pretty goofy looking! It is a paper laser printed label, stuck on the dvd, and there are 9 dvd's in that case. My potato photo doesn't truly reveal the awesomeness of the utter crappiness of the beast! Very Happy

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
IceDragon wrote:

It is pretty goofy looking! It is a paper laser printed label, stuck on the dvd, and there are 9 dvd's in that case. My potato photo doesn't truly reveal the awesomeness of the utter crappiness of the beast! Very Happy

I have had discs that looked way worse than that, thatīs for sure. In fact, most of them are just blank DVDs scratched with a black marker =P!

But to be fair, your picture does make it look somewhat nice. I can't say so for the cover art, though.

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! glad to see the first half of the series is out! Fingers crossed that the remaining episodes get out in a volume 2! Wink

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
I have had discs that looked way worse than that, thatīs for sure. In fact, most of them are just blank DVDs scratched with a black marker =P!

But to be fair, your picture does make it look somewhat nice. I can't say so for the cover art, though.

Oh man, you and me both! Laughing If I wasn't as organized as I am, I shudder at all the horribly marked and labeled media I have getting all mixed up. VHS tapes are the worst! I ain't got time to list every single "whatever" may be on a tape, so most just say "keep" or "cartoons" or nothing at all.

That would be a fun thread. Show your most horribly marked, if at all, tape or disc, and see if people can guess what is really on it! Very Happy

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
IceDragon wrote:

Oh man, you and me both! Laughing If I wasn't as organized as I am, I shudder at all the horribly marked and labeled media I have getting all mixed up. VHS tapes are the worst! I ain't got time to list every single "whatever" may be on a tape, so most just say "keep" or "cartoons" or nothing at all.

That would be a fun thread. Show your most horribly marked, if at all, tape or disc, and see if people can guess what is really on it! Very Happy

I like the way you think, Mr West Cool

And I certainly like the idea you proposed, but my camera still is missing in action :/

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpFork wrote:
Awesome! glad to see the first half of the series is out! Fingers crossed that the remaining episodes get out in a volume 2! Wink

Thanks, and a volume 2 would be super! Maybe even the Rock Lords movie, too!

IceDragon wrote:
I like the way you think, Mr West

And I certainly like the idea you proposed, but my camera still is missing in action :/

Great minds think alike, greater minds remember were they put a camera only 2 seconds ago! Cool Laughing

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this is Great news! Thanks Mayor West! Fingers are crossed that the remaining episodes see a release as well! Very Happy I love this series more so than the Transformers!

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpFork wrote:
Again, this is Great news! Thanks Mayor West! Fingers are crossed that the remaining episodes see a release as well! Very Happy I love this series more so than the Transformers!

You are totally welcome, and I hope the same! It is a rare person who will say they love the GoBots more than Transformers, but that is a person worth knowing! Wink Cool

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: