80sCartoons.net Forum Index

3 Series about Puppies by Ruby Spears Co.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chenchukon
Gnarly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: 3 Series about Puppies by Ruby Spears Co. Reply with quote

Ruby Spears released 3 Series - The Puppy's New Adventures, The Puppy's Furthers Adventures, and The Puppy's Greatest Adventures - between 1982 to 1984.

Since then, I was unable to find even 1 episode on the internet or to buy any of them.

Any ideas?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see (and buy if you have a few hundred dollars to spare) production cels here if you're interested- http://www.thedeeparchives.com/anim_main_frame_tab1.php?studio=rsp&ctgy=aa

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also enjoy this interview with the show creators, Joe Ruby and Ken Spears. I'm not sure if this series is mentioned or not though, but it was brought up in the comments on the site, so maybe it is.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat familiar with this series because it ran for a while with the Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo shorts and the Scrappy-Doo and Yabba-Doo shorts in a series known as "The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scooby_%26_Scrappy-Doo/Puppy_Hour)

A few episodes of the Scooby episodes have been released to DVD here and there, but none of The Puppy's Further Adventures series as far as I know.
It'd be great to see this whole series get released to DVD as it originally aired, with both the Scooby and Puppy cartoons included. Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the opening intro and closing credits for the show.
Here's an episode of The Puppy's Further Adventures in Portuguese and here's one in English. Very Happy Cool
And here's an ad for the series.

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
You can see (and buy if you have a few hundred dollars to spare) production cels here if you're interested- http://www.thedeeparchives.com/anim_main_frame_tab1.php?studio=rsp&ctgy=aa

That is a neat site, I could waste a lot of time (and money!) there. Very Happy

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Series about Puppies by Ruby Spears Co. Reply with quote

Chenchukon wrote:
Ruby Spears released 3 Series - The Puppy's New Adventures, The Puppy's Furthers Adventures, and The Puppy's Greatest Adventures - between 1982 to 1984.

Since then, I was unable to find even 1 episode on the internet or to buy any of them.

Any ideas?
According to Wikipedia, there a series of specials called the Puppy Series:

The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (1978)
The Puppy's Great Adventure (1979)
The Puppy's Amazing Rescue (1980)
The Puppy Saves the Circus (1981)

AKAIK, these are what the 80s series are based on.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're correct in that.

Quote:

That is a neat site, I could waste a lot of time (and money!) there.

Yep- very true for a lot of us, I'm sure. Laughing

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:

Unfortunately those prices are quite absurd and the majority of those cels were purchased in bulk lots off of ebay for peanuts (literally like $60 for 40 cels with backgrounds).....if you are interested in obtaining animation cels I suggest sticking to ebay (only time you'll ever hear me say that! haha), literally thousands of cels are used in the production of a single 24 minute episode- they are quite common and should not be priced higher than $30 for large significant character images. Only those character model sheets are worth about $30-70 depending on the character, as they were only used in-house as color guides and are much harder to come across. Wink

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpFork wrote:
MacGyver wrote:

Unfortunately those prices are quite absurd and the majority of those cels were purchased in bulk lots off of ebay for peanuts (literally like $60 for 40 cels with backgrounds).....if you are interested in obtaining animation cels I suggest sticking to ebay (only time you'll ever hear me say that! haha), literally thousands of cels are used in the production of a single 24 minute episode- they are quite common and should not be priced higher than $30 for large significant character images. Only those character model sheets are worth about $30-70 depending on the character, as they were only used in-house as color guides and are much harder to come across. Wink

That is good to know. It was the model sheets that I liked the most, especially signed. Though without documentation, hard to know if authentic. It would have to be pretty personally meaningful to drop some of the coin they are asking for rather generic cels. I will try not to follow in Bart Simpson's shoes! Laughing

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMm (beware that this can be really stupid) I know that the animation cels are collector items and such but... I don't know guys, judging by what I'm seeing, I would prefer just screencap an episode and frame it (because, ya know, those prices are quite high and most of the cels are unfinished...).

I know that you are much more hardcore collectors than I'm, but it's back to crazy-arse moody printer for me.

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
MMm (beware that this can be really stupid) I know that the animation cels are collector items and such but... I don't know guys, judging by what I'm seeing, I would prefer just screencap an episode and frame it (because, ya know, those prices are quite high and most of the cels are unfinished...).

I know that you are much more hardcore collectors than I'm, but it's back to crazy-arse moody printer for me.

No, your idea is faaaaar superior, in no way way would I consider myself that hardcore! My problem, if it can be called one, is it is so fun to look at those cels and it is hard not getting caught up in nostalgia, and then crazily thinking, "I could actually own 1/10000th of a cartoon I fondly remember?"

Nope. You have the best plan, my friend. Wink That nostalgia is a monster, a cash loving monster!

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
IceDragon wrote:

No, your idea is faaaaar superior, in no way way would I consider myself that hardcore! My problem, if it can be called one, is it is so fun to look at those cels and it is hard not getting caught up in nostalgia, and then crazily thinking, "I could actually own 1/10000th of a cartoon I fondly remember?"

Nope. You have the best plan, my friend. Wink That nostalgia is a monster, a cash loving monster!

Well... I'm kinda embarrassed to say that, no long after I posted that, I found something I would TOTALLY buy... but before I say you what that is, just take a guess about what could it be... it's a duo of characters... come on, take a guess... yes, this. $350... NO WAY I would do that (but holy cow I want to!).

Last edited by IceDragon on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guard your wallet, I smell the Nostalgia Monster.... Laughing

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
Guard your wallet, I smell the Nostalgia Monster.... Laughing

Yeah, especially when I can buy a motorcycle for the price of that cel xD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: