80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Which 80s cartoons do you recommend?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain S.
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Which 80s cartoons do you recommend? Reply with quote

I looked around and didn't see a topic like this, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Self-explanatory title.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread, Captain S. Smile

I suppose it would depend some on who I am recommending the '80s cartoon for.
'80s classics for young girls, for instance- Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony. Those are the four big ones to me. (Also ones I remember from childhood watching with my sister here and there- or just ones that I remember being on, but not really watching.)

'80s classics for young boys- G.I. Joe, Transformers, ThunderCats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- there are certainly tons others, but those are four big ones that come to mind for me.

(Somewhat) obscure '80s cartoons that don't seem to get talked about as much as other bigger ones-
Police Academy (I loved this cartoon as a kid, but don't seem to see it mentioned too often), The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, Bravestarr, Spider-Man (1981 series that just featured Spider-Man, as opposed to the more popular 1981 series, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends- both are awesome though.), Superman (1988 cartoon series), Lazer Tag Academy, Turbo Teen, Kidd Video (okay- those last three do get talked about at times- usually as ones people are trying to remember!) and of course, The Garbage Pail Kids.

And this one definitely gets talked about at times and it's one I was actually talking about to someone just the other day- Inspector Gadget- one of my all time favorites.

Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kissyfur is sweet and innocent, but truly funny. So that's my recommendation.

I think that Kimba: The White Lion is an 80's cartoon as well... but it is the exact opposite. Only watch it if you feel like watching something good, but crude.

And since you mentioned liking My Little Pony, you might actually enjoy watching the original one as well.

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to some of the cartoons mentioned, I rather liked Smurfs, Snorks, Disney's Ducktales, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Disney's Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, and I always liked traveling to the realm of Dungeons & Dragons.

On the movie front, I liked Disney's The Little Mermaid (it came out in 1989, so it counts).

Even though it is not animated, I can recommend The Dark Crystal. LOVE that film.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many 80s cartoons that I love and highly recommend; however, I will try to narrow it down to a couple of series.

One of the most memorable series to me is CBS Storybreak. It is remembered fondly by most that grew up during its airing, but I rarely see it mentioned. From the memorable theme song to the--in my opinion--fantastically animated intro it is an unforgettable show. Some of my favorite episodes would be Hank the Cowdog and Chocolate Fever.

Another favorite of mine would be Dink the Little Dinosaur. After Land Before Time was a hit many companies scrambled to release dinosaur-themed series. This was one of those knock-offs, but I think there was a certain charm to it.

Captain N is another great 80s cartoons even though I believe it was released in 1989. One of the defining parts of the 1980s was the rise of Nintendo, and I embraced the video game culture with every ounce of my being. I played the games, ate the cereal, and watched this "classic" cartoon. There are some aspects of the show that might be off-putting to some video game purists (did we really need a green Mega Man that put Mega as a prefix to EVERYTHING?) but if you can overlook the faults it is an entertaining series.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In addition to some of the cartoons mentioned, I rather liked Smurfs, Snorks, Disney's Ducktales, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Disney's Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, and I always liked traveling to the realm of Dungeons & Dragons.

On the movie front, I liked Disney's The Little Mermaid (it came out in 1989, so it counts).

Even though it is not animated, I can recommend The Dark Crystal. LOVE that film.

YES! I LOVE DuckTales, Gummi Bears and Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers! Those are great ones too. (I could basically say The Disney Afternoon cartoon block in general- and that would include Talespin and Darkwing Duck and Aladdin- and others- but those last three are '90s cartoons. But they're great too.)
And of course, The Little Mermaid also had a cartoon series in the early '90s, which is a great companion series to the classic 1989 movie.
I'm not big on Dungeons & Dragons, but I totally second Smurfs and Snorks- love those too!

And I couldn't let a mention of "The Dark Crystal" go without notice- being a huge Muppets fan in general, I love that movie- along with the 1986 Jim Henson fantasy movie, Labyrinth. Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are so many 80s cartoons that I love and highly recommend; however, I will try to narrow it down to a couple of series.

One of the most memorable series to me is CBS Storybreak. It is remembered fondly by most that grew up during its airing, but I rarely see it mentioned. From the memorable theme song to the--in my opinion--fantastically animated intro it is an unforgettable show. Some of my favorite episodes would be Hank the Cowdog and Chocolate Fever.

Another favorite of mine would be Dink the Little Dinosaur. After Land Before Time was a hit many companies scrambled to release dinosaur-themed series. This was one of those knock-offs, but I think there was a certain charm to it.

Captain N is another great 80s cartoons even though I believe it was released in 1989. One of the defining parts of the 1980s was the rise of Nintendo, and I embraced the video game culture with every ounce of my being. I played the games, ate the cereal, and watched this "classic" cartoon. There are some aspects of the show that might be off-putting to some video game purists (did we really need a green Mega Man that put Mega as a prefix to EVERYTHING?) but if you can overlook the faults it is an entertaining series.

Given your current avatar, I'm surprised Blackstar wasn't mentioned. Wink

And by the way, we have at least one other fan of CBS Storybreak on the forums who has been campaigning for a DVD release.
(You may like to checkthis thread.)

And I totally second Captain N: The Gamemaster. Great, fun cartoon series for Nintendo fans. (of which I am definitely one- and Mega Man is one of my favorite video games, so it's great to see him included there. Though, I agree, the characterization wasn't the best. His solo 1990s cartoon is a much better version of the character, in my opinion.)

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Quote:

Given your current avatar, I'm surprised Blackstar wasn't mentioned. Wink

And by the way, we have at least one other fan of CBS Storybreak on the forums who has been campaigning for a DVD release.
(You may like to checkthis thread.)

And I totally second Captain N: The Gamemaster. Great, fun cartoon series for Nintendo fans. (of which I am definitely one- and Mega Man is one of my favorite video games, so it's great to see him included there. Though, I agree, the characterization wasn't the best. His solo 1990s cartoon is a much better version of the character, in my opinion.)

Simon Belmont in Captain N sucked! It's like "What did they DO to you?"

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackstar would have gotten a mention, but I am still fuming over the price of the dvd set on Amazon. I bought my now-lost copy from a bookstore for 5 bucks, and I refuse to pay more than that for it.

Sad

squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Simon, he was so busy saving the princess that he missed leg day. I don't know where that characterization came from, but the artist should feel bad. Sad

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find "Captain N" to be an unwatchable show. I hate all the artistic decisions they made.

When the first Sonic cartoon (which I actually grew up with) looks good by comparison, you know you screwed up.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't play Castlevania (well, I may have played it at least once at some point) as a kid, so I'm not too familiar with the video game or how Simon Belmont should look. And I haven't seen Captain N in quite a while- for me, it's just a fun cartoon I remember enjoying as a kid.

Optimus Prime
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll always advocate Visionaries.

A great cartoon which sadly, only lived for 13 episodes, we own 4 copies of on DVD, we like it that much

Also have a few action figures of in a custom built stand.

I can post photos of it if anyone is interested?
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Prime wrote:
I'll always advocate Visionaries.

A great cartoon which sadly, only lived for 13 episodes, we own 4 copies of on DVD, we like it that much

Also have a few action figures of in a custom built stand.

I can post photos of it if anyone is interested?

Please do Smile

Optimus Prime
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these are in the wrong place, then please move them.

Permanent home :-
Captain S.
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are helpful comments; thank you! Mr. Green

Optimus Prime
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulysses 31 is pretty cool too. I haven't watched disc 3 all the way through yet though, but it is based on Odysseus in Greek mythology.

And get the theme tune, it's catchy as owt.
Mikey
Gnarly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I recommend all of them. The 80s was the best.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: