80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Comics!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Comics! Reply with quote

GASP!

I went to the library and found a Thundercats comics. *shock* I've seen Transformer comics out there, are there any other comics based on 80s shows that i should be aware of?

dan_sedulous
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually have all the original Thundercats comics!
Besides the obvious Batman/Superman stuff I'm not sure. I know there was a Star Wars, but excluding the usual Marvel & DC................?
I'll have to go check my box of comics at home!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! That's neat the your library has some ThunderCats comic books! I've got a few of the original Marvel comics ThunderCats run- back from the 1980s. But recently, somewhere around 2002 or so- there was a resurgence of 1980s cartoons in general- and specifically in the comic books. I've got a 2003 graphic novel compilation of ThunderCats comics from Wildstorm comics (an imprint of DC Comics)- this is the "Reclaiming Thundera" story arc.
There's also recently been a Voltron comic, which I think is still running. I seem to recall a new Ghostbusters comic book as well, I think. And I'm pretty sure there was a new He-Man comic book series out for a while- in congruence with the 2002 cartoon series. And of course, there's been new Transformers comics out (from IDW Publishing, I believe)
And Devil's Due has been doing an incredible run on one of my favorites- G.I. Joe!!!!
And of course, it helps that they brought back Larry Hama, original writer on Marvel's G.I. Joe comic book series (that started in 1982 and ran until 1994 for 155 issues!!! I've got issues 1 and 155 and a couple in between. Wink )

Now I should clarify at this point- are you talking about current comic books based on '80s cartoons and shows- or just comics from any time period? Because there's been tons based on various '80s cartoons and even some live action shows. (For example, I have all 3 issues of The A-Team comic book! Cool )
And lots of '80s cartoons got comic books, if only for a limited edition run, during the cartoon's original run- like Transformers, G.I. Joe, ThunderCats, SilverHawks (I've got all 7 issues of this!!! Very Happy ), Police Academy (which has been 7 great live action movies, a late '80s cartoon series, a late '90s live action series and an '80s comic book series! And an action figure line! I wonder if that 8th. movie ever really will come out? Hugh Wilson was talking about it at one point- even had Steve Guttenberg lined up to come back as Mahoney..)
- Back to comics- there's been ALF (I love this comic book line! Almost more than the actual show- it's THAT good!), Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies (both Marvel and Harvey did runs on this), He-Man (DC did a few issues- don't miss the He-Man meets Superman special! Wink ), M.A.S.K. (DC did a limited 4 issue series and then picked up a few more past that), Voltron, Bravestarr, C.O.P.S. (the '80s cartoon- not the FOX show!), Smurfs, Heathcliff (I mean besides the newspaper strip- Marvel Stars comics also had a Heathcliff series), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (of course- they started as a comic book series- but Archie Comics later did a run based more on the '80s cartoon series), Visionaries (http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=93324959446&snumber=1),
Get Along Gang (http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=35086430044&snumber=1)

- and I know there's lots more. (a lot of Disney cartoons got comics- like DuckTales, Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Aladdin, etc.)

There's also been a few great movie-based ones like Marvel's "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" (34 issue run- not too bad) (and Dark Horse did further comics in the '90s) (And in 2008, Dark Horse will be rereleasing those Indy comics!!! And there will be a comic book version of the new movie of course- "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"- May 22, 2008!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!! Cool )
And Harvey did a fun comic book series based on the Back to the Future cartoon.
And there's even a short-lived "Saved By the Bell" comic book series from Harvey.
I've also got what's pretty much the one and only comic book released based on "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" and one based on "The Incredible Hulk" (the early '80s cartoon). (Both of these are essentially comic book versions of episodes.)

(And yes- I have some/all of these last few series mentioned. Wink )

If you're interested in comic books based on 1980s cartoons (and/or live action shows) made in the 1980s- then I would strongly suggest checking the back issues racks at your local comic book store- along with the bargain bin- you never know what you may find in there.

And check the listings at www.milehighcomics.com
This is a GREAT online comic book seller and they've got lots of titles listed, along with scans of the covers and sometimes even of the first few pages.
If you're really ambitious, you can always get the Overstreet Comic Book Pricing Guide.

Oh yes- and I have to mention this- while we're talking about comic books, I would also recommend this excellent comic book series- The Hardy Boys!!! (Papercutz is doing a fantastic job with this title- and there's the equally great Nancy Drew series as well.) I love reading the actual books too of course- but the comic books are great too.
And there's also a graphic novel based on another classic children's series that just started recently- The Baby-Sitter's Club! Yes, I am not kidding! Check Barnes & Noble- they've got it.

Oh yes- and just last year, Marvel published a really incredibly cool one-shot Spider-Man comic book that actually featured a tribute to "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" and featured a story with Iceman, Firestar and Spider-Man all together! (And it's in continuity!!!)
That is a really cool treat that I definitely recommend checking out.

Oh yeah- and Wildstorm has been doing some pretty cool Star Trek: The Next Generation comic books too- and Tokyopop has a manga series of the original Star Trek series as well. Smile

But there's all kinds of titles out there- some you'd never have thought existed.

(Like the issue #2 I have of "Sledge Hammer!" from Marvel comics!)
Or the Laff-a-Lympics comics I recently discovered the other day.

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=78084858754&snumber=1

(There's the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends comic book from 2006 I mentioned.) Wink

And who wouldn't want the Madballs series?
http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=enlarge&issue=49885077352%201

Or Centurions from DC Comics?
http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=15685175514&snumber=1

And Sectaurs from Marvel Comics?
http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=72888456292&snumber=1

Just try a search for any '80s cartoon you like- never know what might pop up.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, you can always check on Ebay and local thrift stores and antique stores and the flea market... the thrill of the hunt! Razz

teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I maybe bringing this up again as I just got back from the comic and toy expo in my city. Which, is always a lot of fun.

I was thinking of the new ThunderCats that came out a few years ago. I have a couple of the trades now and it's actually pretty good.I have a couple of the original ThunderCats comics (9/24) and they're pretty good to. I've seen the Ghostbusters and Volton new comics but I haven't had the pleasure to read them yet. Although...I almost bought the Voltron collection earlier today but logic intervened.

I'm impressed by your Silver Hawks collection. I have....1. I don't actually have any complete collections yet Sad . I'm getting close, but not quite there. I'm missing 1 spiral zone, 2 biker mice from mars, 1 centurion, 4 captain planet and about half of cops. The rest I don't have a big enough dent in yet to mention. Sigh. So many comics to little time.

I'm actually liking this Mile High Comics site. Mainly because it lists how many there are in the series. It's always slightly frightening when you pick up 2 comics thinking there are only 3 in the series and then discovering their are 14. Case in point, Count Duckula. 15, yikes. (...i have #1...and #14...lol). Also, apparently my one awesome Silver Surfer comic is only worth $11. *sigh* oh well. It's not like I was going to sell it anyway.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a Silver Surfer comic book worth $11? That's pretty decent for comic books. Is this a Silver Age title perhaps?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah- and regarding the SilverHawks- I actually found that set at comic book shop all bundled together so I was able to get the entire 7 issue run one time for a fairly cheap price. That was a nice find. But for other titles- it's a bit trickier tracking them all down. I just pick up random issues every now and then at this point- I wouldn't mind finding the rest of the ALF series- I have a number of those comics and love reading them. I didn't even realize Spiral Zone and Biker Mice From Mars got comic books! Cool! I've got some of the Captain Planet comics too and one issue of C.O.P.S.
And my G.I. Joe and Transformers comics have been really thinned out over the years, but I still have some. (Finally sold #155 though- needed some extra cash and that particular title is a pretty popular and kinda hard to find issue.) Of course, now Larry Hama has come back to revive that series starting back in with issue #156. (okay- and the promotional #155 1/2 - which I did grab that a while back on Free Comic Book Day.)
Also of interest for '80s cartoons fans- Boom! Kids has been recently publishing DuckTales comics again in the pages of their "Uncle Scrooge" title. And they recently kicked "Darkwing Duck" back up again with a 4 part mini-series, which is also supposed to be leading to a full-on series again. And I've also heard that Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers is making a comeback too!
Oh- and be sure to check out their comic book version of The Muppet Show- that one has been a great read as well. (Particularly for me being a big Muppets fan in general.) Very Happy Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: