80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Count Duckula: Season 1!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Count Duckula: Season 1! Reply with quote

Released back in October of 2005.
Well, it might have been released in October in the states but here in Canada it took till December before I found it on shelfs. Frustrating.

About:

Meet Count Duckula, a once villainous vampire brought back to life after a near fatal stake to the heart. His butler Igor and bumbling main Nanny revived Duckula with a transfusion of ketchup…not blood. Now a vegetarian with mild manners, Duckula spends his time teleporting in his castle on madcap adventures all over the world.

Contents:
3 discs, 26 eps and a few special features. No pull outs.

DVD design and accessibility:
(i'm interested in this industry so this is important to me-it's going to be long so skip if it's not high on your priority list)
The discs are folded together inside a sleeve that you need to slip them out of through the top or bottom. It's actually really snug (took a little effort to get out) which is good but might pose a problem once the disc portions gets a little wear. The middle disc's plastic holder is also glued in unevenly which makes it poke out a little. It annoys me.
I REALLY like how on one of the sides of the cover they list ALL the eps with descriptions. Very handy! There are some typography widow issues that bug me with the descriptions but I'll let it go.
They have also decided to show some of the characters colour sketches as part of the design. Not sure how i like this. It works well on the back of the sleeve but it seems to be out of place on the discs. I'm not a big fan of the backdrop behind the disc holders. It's all 1 colour and doesn't seem to add to the design (and is probably why i'm not sure about the discs design). I really like all the other pictures/designs on the package. Everything is very colour and complements the shows fun loving weirdness.
The dvd menus themselves seem thrown together. Have a power-point quality. Vola! BACKDROP *slide in characters* and…go!
What REALLY annoyed me is whenever you select an ep (hit enter) it takes you to a separate screen where it gives you a summary and you have to hit enter (yet again) just to watch it. Functionality wise, it is to many clicks. If they simulated a rollover it might have worked better. Also, they already have the discription on the package so it isn't necessarily needed. There are also some functionality differences between the main menu's and the bonus features menu (if you can figure out what, kudos).

Bonus Features:
Interview with Brian Cosgrove (co-fonder, cosgrove hall) and John Doyle (senior producer/artist): These interviews were…nice. You really got to see the pride and joy they felt for their work. Also learned a couple of interesting facts about the show.
How to Draw Count Duckula: I…can't draw without computer aid…so I skipped.
Restoring Count Duckula (split-screen test): This is where they get to show off. But it was so short! and i could bairly see a difference. I had hoped they would do more with this.
Photo Gallery: Not many pictures a couple of good ones.

Memorable Moments (some spoilers):
British humor. Beware the horribly awesome puns and dialect fun. There is also a re-accruing "what do you do with a drunken sailor" song that was random and fun. In "One Stormy Night" Duckula does this FANTASTIC "did i put a mirror here? or is that a person who looks like me" sketch. (think about it). In "Vampire Vacation" we meet one of Duckula's relatives who's evening plans include taking all the fat villagers and chopping them up into small pieces and then eating them and playing BINGO. He joins the circus, goes to the Arctic, Australia, Africa, Scotland, Paris. Plays detective, rents out his help and is starred down by broccoli. No matter where he goes really awesome bad puns are sure to follow.

Overall:

This whole thing seems slapped together. On the bright side, not a lot of extras makes it cheaper. I like it's simplicity but it makes me sad that they didn't go all out for this show like they could have. I would have LOVED if they including the 2 eps of Danger Mouse that started it all and if they had done some more behind the screen work. Like how Duckula's appearance changed from when he first showed up on Danger Mouse. Buy this one for the show. Even if you've never seen it if you enjoy the wickedly awesome bad puns of British humor this is a good addition to your collection.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, teddy0bear! I never grew up with this cartoon (or at least I don't remember watching it as a child)- but after having viewed it, it is a pretty fun cartoon.
Seems like I recall Danger Mouse better than I do Count Duckula- but both are really fun, in any case. By the way, are there further seasons for Count Duckula yet to be released?

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
By the way, are there further seasons for Count Duckula yet to be released?

The rest of it has been released in the UK (oooooo fancy snazzy covers!) but no sign of it being released in North America (although the amazon.co.uk listings do state that it is multi regional everything is in pounds and no free shipping to us out of towner's *sad*)

Schuyler
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It use to air on nick, but really early in the morning like around 4am or 5am not sure, but around that time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: