80sCartoons.net Forum Index

What are your favorite games and systems from the 80s?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWiSTeDMeTaL
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: What are your favorite games and systems from the 80s? Reply with quote

Though I never owned one I really wished I had gotten the Turbo Duo and some of the games like Lords of Thunder. I had an NES don't get me wrong the NES wasn't a bad system it's just that at the time my video games skills only allowed me to play simple games and most of the games for other systems were at a skill level I didn't have. Crying or Very sad Naturally my parents got the system I could play but I'm having a hell of time trying to find a fair priced turbo Duo. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

However there were games that I loved from the NES like Blaster Master, TNMT 3 (1 again at that time was too difficult for me oi),Super Mario brothers, Spy vs. Spy, strider(how the hell I beat that game at my skill level I have no idea)Rescue Rangers, Monsters in my Pocket,................I think I'll stop here otherwise the list would be absurd.

As for the Genesis SONIC loved that game could play for hours on end Gunstar heros, Earth Worm Jim, Golden axe series, Alien Storm, TMNT tournment fighters(kicked the snes version hindquarters PERIOD),Rolling Thunder, Splatterhouse.

Though there is a huge bleamish on the Genesis' record Moonwalker. Kinda wonders what the developers thk now that Micheal Jackson is on trail for child molestation.

ANd what ARE YOUR FAVORITES ?

Kyliee
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite games on the Atari was this game with an eskimo and you had to jump across on these patched of ice avoiding obsticles.

On the PC I loved Golden axe, Blues brothers, wolfenstien, duke Nucem, Kings Quest, commander Keen, lemmings, battle chess, cool crocs, xargon.

I i cant remember if these games were made in the 80's but i remember playing them when i was younger.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My favourite games on the Atari was this game with an eskimo and you had to jump across on these patched of ice avoiding obsticles.

I've played that! It's an awesome game! Very Happy

I think it's actually called "Ice Climber". I'm pretty sure I've played it on Nintendo. If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it's now also available on Gameboy Advance. (Along with many other NES classics, including Excitebike, Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 and 3 and Donkey Kong, etc.)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
badkitty0404
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice climber was a cool game for the 8 bit nes. I played that game for many an hour. The game Kyliee was talking about was for atari 2600 and it was called Frostbite.

I really loved the Nes and everything about it. There weren't as many system choices in the 80's like there are today. I really miss the comradery that came with the nes, just about everyone talked about it or had it. It was in movies, magazines, tv , toys, hapy meals everything! AH the good ol days!

My favorite games were: Final fantasy, megaman, shinobi, contra, mario 3, a boy and his blob, maniac mansion, california games, zelda

80's Freak
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite systems
Atari, Nes
games: Final fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Blaster master( I think it came out then but I can't remember)

80's Will live on Forever!
80's Family: Aurora, teddy0bear
redlilac
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commodore 64-Maniac Mansion, spy vs spy, olympics, impossible mission, oh so many i can't remember their names but MM was always awesome. loved razor

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I never did answer the original question. My favorite systems are definitely Atari 2600 and the Nintendo Entertainment System!!! Those are the main two I played in the 1980s. Although I do remember playing the original 1987 Wheel of Fortune game on a friend's computer (and by this point, I may have even been playing it in the early 90s) and I remember being totally wowed by it!

I've already listed many of my favorite NES games in this thread.
http://80scartoons.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22

And as for Atari, my all time favorite would probably be Centipede. That's the main one I remember playing in the 80s. (I didn't have one, I played it at a friend's house.) Although I've also played a Tennis game and the infamous E.T. game. I suppose that would be fun if I knew what in the world I was doing in the game. The same goes for the Raiders of the Lost Ark game. And of video games in general, Pac-Man is still my favorite. Pong is pretty good too. Very Happy

Aussie
Gnarly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, Spy vs Spy! I remember that game for sure. I used to have a hard time getting my dad to let me have a turn because he was addicted to that game. Smile

The DVD Guy
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember the SNES video game system. This was my fav, I had a huge assortment of cartridges for the SNES my fav games were:

Super Mario World
Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
TMNT V: Tournament Fighters

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly remember the SNES, though it doesn't quite meet the qualifications for being from the 1980s! But that's okay.Cool
They were some cool games on the SNES too. There were some awesome Star Wars games. There were games for Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. They're all awesome! Also, probably one of the best Back to the Future games I've ever played, the Back to the Future Part 2 game for SNES. (I believe it was only released in Japan though.- Figures. "All the best stuff's made in Japan." - Marty McFly, BTTF III) Also, there's a great Indiana Jones' Adventures game. You got to play all 3 of Indy's movies in the game. It's definitely the best version of Raiders of the Lost Ark that I've ever played. (Seeing as how the only other version is the 1982 Atari game! - And this could be fun if I had any clue what I was doing!)

badkitty0404
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Rpg and The legend of Zelda:A Link to the Past were my two favorite games for super nintendo. In my opinion they are also the best mario and Zelda games ever made. The more I think about the snes was probably one of the best all around systems made and probably the best for early rpgs. The graphics were good, the games were great, the system was sweet. Chrono trigger, Mario Cart, Mortal Kombat, Illusion of Gaia, Romance of the three kingdoms, ogre battle, populous, beais and butthead, secret of mana, wanderers from Ys 3, Drakkhen, dungeon master. I kept my system and the legend of zelda. I'm gonna have to find it and rebuy all those games! GOOD TIMES!

TWiSTeDMeTaL
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can download them in rom form and playthem on your computer using an emulator.

Try Romnation http://www.romnation.net/
You don't have to vote at all I don't and nothing wrong with the rom.

days
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favourite was air sea battle and warlords for the atari,

jay
Gnarly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want old skool, you got old skool...

http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/arcade.htm

Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Atari stuff, there's [url]AtariAge.com[/url]. For retro gaming in general, try [url]PinkGodzillaGames.com[/url].

I found a place that's selling an NES and SuperNES, but slightly high-priced and without games. Bah. If they had a warranty, that wouldn't be so bad. But they don't. Bah.

Butcher
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember Operation wolf, Rambo 3. These where my favorites.

Also Golden Axe was pretty awesome.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Axe on NES was awesome! My brothers and I played that quite a bit. And it's true that a lot of the arcade games, Atari, Coleco, Commodore 64, Intellivision, Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, even Nintendo 64, Playstation, and I'm sure by now Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, Playstation 2, XBox, Gamecube, etc. can all be played through emulators on the computer. And I can see playing the classic systems that are made anymore and that generally aren't making their companies any profits through that system. But I certainly don't support emulation on current systems available in stores.
And as fun as it might be playing Pac-Man on my PC, it's never the same as going and playing it at an arcade! That's why I'm always thrilled to plunk in a quarter whenever I can find a Pac-Man arcade game somewhere! You can't beat that. Same goes for playing Atari or Nintendo. The keyboard, mouse, or gamepad is never the same as the Atari joystick or Nintendo game pad. Remember when you could do everything with two buttons? Very Happy

By the way, I've recently heard about a new gaming system- I think it's from Nintendo- (codenamed Revolution) that will give players the option of getting classic NES games to run on the system. That would be pretty cool to get the whole Super Mario Bros. collection again and the Mega Man series, etc. I think Nintendo would have quite a lot of sales on that. It's actually supposed to be backwards-compatible with NES, SNES and N64 games!!! And then there's all the new games made for the system too! Pretty cool deal. Here's a link from Nintendo's web site.
http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746&page=other
Very Happy Cool

TWiSTeDMeTaL
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't hold your breath macgyver companies boast alot but usally only partially follow through. though if nintendo did that it rock but I don't think nintendo realizes that they need to attract a new audience not just cater to the fans.

Icemage
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoah, late entry to this thread but here's some quick comments:

Nintendo's Revolution is their answer to the upcoming PlayStation 3 and XBox 360. I'd take any and all claims about capabilities with a grain of salt at this point in time, though.

I do agree with MacGyver about games just not feeling the same on a PC emulator vs. the original arcade... but some of those older games simply don't exist anymore in arcade format, especially for more obscure titles.

Favorite games from the 1980s: In this list I include games which were memorable for me in terms of being either ground-breaking, or just the best of their type

Arcade:
Arkanoid
R-Type
Shinobi
Ninja Gaiden
Smash TV
Strider
Double Dragon
Gauntlet
Golden Axe
Galaga
1943: The Battle of Midway
Cadash
Ghosts and Goblins

Console (NES and Genesis):
Metroid
Castelvania
Mega Man
Zelda II
Bubble Bobble
Life Force
Altered Beast
Earthworm Jim

Icemage

Ben Woods
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I only play intellectual games like Hungry Hungry Hippos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Video Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: