80sCartoons.net Forum Index

News, Releases, and Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Digging in ABC Weekend Specials Status Today Reply with quote

20th Century Fox bought the rights to distribute the ABC Weekend Specials Series and other 12 additional specials from Anchor Bay Entertainment.

I realize that a major reason why ABC Weekend Specials series is so difficult to find or to be reproduced on DVD, is that each aired episode was independently written, developed, and produced, after which it was purchased by ABC Entertainment in agreed in advanced contracts.

From the right owners’ point of view it’s very difficult to reach agreements with each copyright owner separately for each episode to re-distribute the material; it is both time-consuming and it might also waste resources because there is no way to know in advance if the old series, even on DVD, will be interesting enough for the young generation. Also, the quality of some of the series or the episodes can’t be improved digitally.

Nevertheless, I still hope that one day the series is going to be released to the public in a new DVD format. Very Happy Cool

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Ownership Rights - buys and sells Reply with quote

I wrote about changes in ownership regarding old cartoon series that are yet to be released. Since there is no solid info about any change on the part of the rights’ owners or their intentions, we have to wait, of course, until the distribution companies actually decide to release them. What’s left for us to do is to follow up closely. Below is the info available regarding change in ownership, if anyone wants to contact them.
1. Warner Brothers bought the rights of 6 mini series - CB Bears, Blast Off Buzzard, Posse Impossible, Heyyy, It’s the King, Shake, Rattle, and Roll, and Undercover Elephant, 13 episodes each, totaling 78 segments, from Hanna Barbera
2. Warner Brothers bought the rights of Mister T, the complete second season of 17 episodes, from Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears
3. Warner Brothers bought the rights of Popeye and Son, the complete series, of 13 episodes (26 segments), from Hanna Barbera
4. Warner Brothers bought the rights of The Puppy’s Great Adventures, and re-runs of the 2 Series, The Puppy’s New Adventures and The Puppy’s Further Adventures, of 22 episodes, from Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears
5. 20th Century Fox Entertainment bought the rights of - ABC Weekend Specials, the complete 17 seasons 133 episodes and other 12 additional specials, from Anchor Bay Entertainment
6. FVI belongs to 20th Century Fox. ASSE and HBP made cartoon series for CBS Entertainment. CBS and Fox made and distributed cartoons and ran it on CBS Cartoon Network. CBS Storybreak the complete series of 26 episodes, ran on their network
7. Walt Disney bought the rights of Little Wizards, the complete series of 13 episodes, from Marvel Productions and Saban Entertainment

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Update regarding ABC Weekend Specials Reply with quote

For those of you that like ABC Weekend Specials series, I've found an episode on Youtube that wasn't there before. It's called ''The Trouble with Miss Switch'' and this is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXukVg0O2jM

Enjoy.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: New Info, Latest Updates Reply with quote

I found new info of these 14 cartoon series episode of;
ABC Weekend Specials on Youtube.
I also found the theme song from CB Bears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhTmK2G5cw (Blast Off Buzzard, Posse Impossible), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXgaXmR4nU Heyyy, It’s the King, (Shake Rattle and Roll, and Undercover Elephant). Also, from CBS Storybreak I found Hugh Pine cover art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKSRwUdjIhk.
Here is the intro and theme song of Little Wizards http://www.retrojunk.com/content/child/intro/page/39621/little-wizards#/content/child/intro/4396/show; Mister T, the complete second season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoeuCIX4xg;
The Puppy’s Great Adventures re-runs the two series, The Puppy’s New Adventures and The Further Puppy’s http://www.retrojunk.com/content/child/intro/page/39837/the-puppys-further-adventures#/content/child/intro/4713/show.
And finally, here is the link of the episode Don’t give up the picnic from Popeye and Son. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTpkOwoG7Yc

More information I intend to post in the near future, as it becomes available.

Last edited by Chenchukon on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the present situation regarding ABC Weekend Specials and some CBS cartoons; none of the 17 seasons of the Short Story Specials (the alternative name), and the 12 additional specials were ever released to the public. Back then they survived by airing episodes that had educational content. But, to my sorrow, since none was ever released until now, it could be that it will never happen.

The same situation exists with the CB Bears, (Blast Off Buzzard, Posse Impossible, Heyyy, It’s the king, Shake, Rattle, and Roll, and Undercover Elephant), CBS Storybreak, Little Wizards, Mister T The Complete Second Season, Popeye and Son, and The Puppy’s Great Adventures Re-runs the two Series The Puppy’s New Adventures, and The Puppy’s Further Adventures.

In any case, if one day some solid information about possible releases indeed becomes available, I’m sure that we will quickly post it.

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wish they'd release Mister T second series.
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Rights and Releases Reply with quote

More info about ABC Weekend Specials that I’m posting, after rechecking some info for accuracy.
- First, 20th Century Fox bought the rights of ABC Weekend Specials from Anchor Bay Entertainment.
- Also, some episodes were released in the old VHS format, for example, The Velveteen Rabbit. Occasionally, during that timeslot, ABC aired a series of other specials under the title ABC Saturday Morning Specials, of which, two ABC's Wide World of Sports for Kids specials were produced in 1994. I posted the list previously.
- For sure, ABC Weekend Specials survived by being politically correct and pro-educational, while competing against similar programs like CBS Storybreak that was based on children’s literature.
- Charles A. Nichols was the director for all the following 6 mini-series - CB Bears, Blast Off Buzzard, and Posse Impossible, Heyyy, It’s the King, shake, Rattle, and Roll, and Undercover Elephant
- Those mini series “survived” by being politically correct. CB Bears was about Hustle, Boogie and Bump, crime-fighting bears who receive their orders from a female named Charlie via a citizens band radio. Blast-Off Buzzard and an out-foxing snake named Crazy Legs, a hungry buzzard (Blast-Off attempts to catch himself a decent meal. Those characters are non-speaking. In Posse Impossible an Old West sheriff, and his bumbling deputies (Stick, Blubber and Duke), attempt to maintain the peace in the town of Saddle Sore. Heyyy, It’s the King. Days, a spoof hip-talking lion, and his friends Big H, the Hippo, Clyde the Ape; Sheena the lioness, Skids, the Alligator, Yukayuka, the Hyena, and Zelda, the Ostrich. Shake, Rattle, and Roll who run the Haunted Inn, a ***** for the unearthly. Undercover Elephant, is a failed U.S. government agent, and his assistant (Loud Mouse) battle evil.

- FVI belongs to 20th Century Fox ASSE and HBP made cartoons for CBS Entertainment. CBS/Fox made and distributed cartoons that ran on CBS Cartoon Network.

If you’re right there will some day be some solid information on DVD releases to post as well.

- WD bought the rights from Marvel Production, and Saban Entertainment to distribute the Little Wizards series. Little Wizards survived by being politically correct

- WB bought the rights from HB and RS to distribute Mister T - the complete second season.

- WB also bought the rights from HB to distribute the Popeye and Son series.

- WB also bought the rights to distribute The Puppy’s Great Adventures re-runs as the two series - The Puppy’s New Adventures, and The Puppy’s Further Adventures

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Rights of Distribution & Releases Reply with quote

Since 1985, Anchor Bay Entertainment has taken care of ABC Weekend Specials distribution. They even renewed their agreement in 2011.

20th Century Fox has been for a longtime the company that was supposed to distribute this series. In the meantime, Lionsgate Entertainment bought Anchor bay, therefore, it is not 20th Century’s fox decision not to release any DVD. Rather it is Lionsgate that is preventing the release because they compete with 20th Century Fox, the same as other companies that hold rights to other old series.

But Warner Archive keeps releasing old series from time to time, although it is unknown how they make their decisions and what and how they decide. The following from CB Bears series is a typical example of it.

ASSE HBP made cartoons for CBS entertainment. CBS and Fox also distributed CBS Storybreak, and ran it on CBS Cartoon Network.

Walt Disney bought the rights from Marvel Productions and Saban Entertainment, produced series. Some of them were released during the years, but most are still in their archives. Such an example is the Little Wizards series.

Another example is the Popeye and Son series that WB bought the rights from HB. In 1987, 8 episodes were released while 18 episodes were not. WB also bought the Mister T - The Complete second season rights from HB and RS. They also had reruns of The Puppy’s Great Adventures, The Puppy’s New Adventures, and The Puppy’s Further Adventures.

scroeffie
Gnarly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Wizards << i totaly forgot about this cartoon i love you guys merry christmas and a happy new 2017 Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, scroeffie! Love and peace to you and all- and Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year 2017! Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Little Wizards Reply with quote

Hi MacGyver,

Regarding the Little Wizards series, do you know a source or site, beside Amazon, where I can find an english version that is not in VHS?

Thanks

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chenchukon,
No, I don't. The only official release in the English language I know of for "Little Wizards" is the 1991 VHS tape released that you can still purchase from Amazon.com
Unofficially, you might try this Youtube link. It's in Italian, but you can put on the closed caption settings and set it to auto-translate to English, so you could at least watch some episodes that way.
You might also try this link.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MacGyver,

Thank you for the information.

I know that the series in VHS is available on Amazon, but the price for it in VHS, mind you, is not reasonable.

Also, I find iOffer to be an unreliable source. I tried to purchase some stuff in the past and found that they offered unknown sources to buy from, or the information was questionable.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Help needed Reply with quote

Besides the business and popularity aspects in the cartoons industry, is if anybody knows what the guidelines upon which production companies decide which old series to release?

Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I'll check it out.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: What I'm looking for Reply with quote

I hope there will someday be more solid information from Lionsgate, 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers Archive, and Walt Disney, regarding updates on repacked box sets and DVD releases, before there are announcements from these production companies maybe this year.

But it seems as if people are not interested. If they do mention old cartoons, it’s usually about old cartoons that I don’t like, or that I never heard about.

I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I hope that things will change for those like that like old cartoons. We’ll wait and see.

Usually, repacked old series includes a new cover art, and updated storyline, and the episode titles.

What I am looking for, is ABC Weekend Specials Short Story Specials, 17 seasons 133 eps and 12 Additional Specials; CBS Storybreak 26 eps; CB Bears 13 eps; Blast Off Buzzard 13 eps; Posse Impossible 13 eps; Heyyy, It’s the King 13 eps; Shake, Rattle and Roll 13 eps; Undercover Elephant 13 eps; Popeye and Son 13 eps (in 26 Segments); The Puppy’s Great Adventures 1 ep; The Puppy’s New Adventures 13 eps; The Puppy’s Further Adventures 8 eps; Mister T The Complete Season 17 eps; and Little Wizards 13 eps.
Question Smile

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Anyone? Reply with quote

Regarding my post dated April 25th: anyone?

Can it be that no one on this website is interested in cartoons that are earlier than the 80's?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this Web site is dedicated to 1980s cartoons, so that will always be the primary focus. I personally cartoons from the 1980s, of course, and a number of ones both before and after the '80s.
I'm sure other members probably feel the same. However, it would seem there just isn't much interest in the particular series you asked about. In any case, yes- it'd be great to see all of those shows get DVD releases, but unfortunately it just may not be happening.

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first series of Mister T is already out, unless you mean series 2?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: