80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Manimal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Manimal Reply with quote

Since we recently had a thread about a classic short-lived 1980s scifi show ("Automan"), which was created by Glen Larson, I thought it might be fun to have a thread for another infamous short-lived 1980s scifi show he created- "Manimal".
I never saw this in the original run, but I have seen some of it in reruns on the SCI-FI Channel. I would love to see the whole series at some point. (Hopefully the library can get this on DVD next.) Smile Cool
The show only ran for 8 episodes in 1983. It starred Simon MacCorkindale as Jonathan Chase, a man who had the power to transform into any animal he chose. He worked for the New York Police Department and used his powers to aid his work. The transformation process and makeup involved was very impressive for its time, in my opinion. I still think it looks pretty cool! Smile Cool
Probably due to cost and technical issues, the show only did a few animals for transformation during its run, famously a black panther as well as a hawk at times. There were other transformations too though.
Even though the show only lasted 8 episodes, it did generate some merchandise. In the UK, there was a "Manimal" annual book released. I had thought that was about the only thing released for this show, but just last night I discovered another merchandise item that's way cool!
There were toys made for Manimal! As far as I know, the only toys released were toys of Chase in mid-transformation. Check out this blog post for information and pictures.
Smile Cool
Though I wouldn't seriously track them down to collect them myself, I just found that really cool and thought someone here would appreciate it.
The show has been released to DVD in both Region 2 and Region 1, with some extras- but unfortunately, it's not as complete as it could be.
In 1998, Glen Larson was working on another show- a superhero show called "Nightman". (Based on a Malibu Comics' character- which is an arm of Marvel Comics.) And on this show, he had one episode called "Manimal", where Simon MacCorkindale resumed his famous role as Jonathan Chase and did some transformations with updated technology. It was a really cool episode and I wish it could have been included on the official DVD.
Anyway- if anyone else has some information on "Manimal" or other memories to share, join in! Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manimal is one of my friends favourite shows, but never knew it was that short lived.

When we had the channel Zone Thriller here in the UK, they showed it, I believe, on a Sunday night, possibly Saturnday too. But, alas when it was rebranded CBS Action, they stopped showing it. Shame really, as it was a fun show.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Yeah, it is a fun show. Glen Larson was doing this show in 1983, right around the same time he was working with "Automan". I wonder if the strain of working on both "Automan" and "Manimal" at the same time contributed to the early demise of both?....

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possible.

I know the strain two projects at the same time can cause.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- the other thing that I know was a huge factor for "Automan" (the cast and creator have said as much in interviews) was the cost of making the series. "Manimal" was probably equally expensive, what with all the animal changes and the makeup it required and special effects. Having two big budget shows at once was a ton for Larson to have on him, I'm sure.

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, especially if he was overseeing those effects too, to ensure they looked right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: