80sCartoons.net Forum Index

What are your favorite games and systems from the 80s?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- that's quite a few video games. Those are all some great, classic video game systems!
I enjoy playing some games for newer systems too (assuming there is a video game I'm particularly wanting to play)- but I don't really keep up with all the newest systems and such. I'd much rather play classics like this- and I do still pull out my Game Gear and play it every now and then. (The only video game system I own right now.)
I got a NES system for like 5 bucks from a Goodwill a while back and contemplated restarting a collection of just the classic NES games I love....but I soon realized why I got the system so cheap- as it was quite beat up and didn't work correctly. (I was looking into ways to fix it myself and get it going again- but I just didn't really have the time or space for such projects. Maybe one day.)
There's nothing holding the classic controller in your hand and playing it again though. There's a bookstore I go to at times (which also sells tons of other things like DVDs, CDs, LPs, comic books, toys, vintage video games, etc.) and they had a Retro multi-video game system on display for a while- and every now and then I'd go and play Super Mario Bros. on it again. Fun stuff. (Though, of course, I've beaten that game a few times... Laughing )
Hey Fernin- no Virtual Boy on the list though? Also, if you want to add another short-lived video game system to the list, there's the 1997 Game.com system from Tiger, which had literally about a handful of games. I believe there was a Wheel of Fortune game though and it's one of the few systems that was graced with a Batman & Robin video game. Smile Cool [Yes, based on the "classic" 1997 movie. Wink Which I half-jokingly proudly say, I saw in theaters. Haha- that movie's a trip. And I still don't think it's the worst superhero movie ever- it's fun.]

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look into Gizmondo (which was short-lived).
Fernin wrote:
I'm not going to list my favorite games, or we'd be here for the rest of the month, but I will say, I'm a collector of old systems... in rom and emulator form. A couple years ago, I started working on snagging and organizing complete rom sets for a couple of my favorite old systems (NES, SNES, Game Boy, a few others), and it sort of snowballed from there. EmuParadise has been a godsend in that they have complete romsets pacakaged and ready to download, but there's still a /lot/ of work left, in that when they say complete, they mean /complete/.

Every game will have anywhere from 2 to 15 copies, as they include every international release (US, Europe, Japan, or otherwise), every fan translated version (into English, French, Spanish, Polish, you name it), bad dumps, over dumps, alternate dumps, hacks, betas, prototypes, and all sorts of other things. I pare it down to just a single copy of each game, then make sure I only have a single release of it. Being American, I keep the US version whenever possible, gotta check through every game to find out which ones were released with different names in different regions, though.

At present, I have the following in complete, working and playable form:

Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Intellivision
Colecovision
Commodore 64 (cartridge files only, haven't gotten the tape files working yet, so I guess that's half complete)
ZX Spectrum (tapes and cartridges)
Atari Lynx
Atar Jaguar
MSX
MSX2
Sharp X68000
Watara Supervision
Vectrex
WonderSwan
WonderSwan Color
Sega SG-1000
NES
SNES
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
Sega Genesis 32X
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
TurboGrafx 16
Game Gear
Nintendo 64
Arcade (through MAME, though this is very hard to check, given the sheer number of games)
Neo Geo
CPS1 (Capcom arcade)
CPS2 (Ditto)

I'm still going through the GBC roms, once I finish that, GBA will be next. I only just got a new, bigger hard drive, so I'll finally have the space to start delving into the CD based consoles. TurboCD, 3DO, PS1, Sega CD and a number of others are on the list that I have my eye on at the moment. I don't think I'll ever be done collecting systems in this way. Very Happy

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set of systems.

I collect for several but the NES is probably my first choice. The arcade titles are some of my favorites.

The 3DO is another great system.

bianor
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great collection.

Best game I guess mario and legend of zelda Smile

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinice wrote:
Great set of systems.

I collect for several but the NES is probably my first choice. The arcade titles are some of my favorites.

Dude, that's terrific! Are those yours?

Can I break into your house now? Laughing

thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is all mine. I also collect for several others. Space has become a premium and these photos were taken before things went in storage.

squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario Bros 3 is one of my favorite 80s games of all time. My brother received it as a birthday present one year, and we played it non-stop. Plus it was in the greatest movie of all-time, The Wizard. Smile

I was a weird kid, so I have to mention my love for Bandit Kings of Ancient game and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha- LOVE The Wizard! Yes, it may have been a 90 minute long NES commercial, but it was also just a fun and even touching movie. Very Happy Cool
(Plus, I'm thinking it was also the world's first glimpse of Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES- so that's way cool too.)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wizard. Friend of mine had the Nintendo Power Glove. It did not work as well as the movie portrayed it. Some games would play fine and others not so good.

Never played Bandit Kings of Ancient China, squidbee. Always wanted to. I am a big fan of all the Koei series games. Genghis Khan, Romance of the Three Kingdoms and on the SNES Aerobiz and Liberty or Death.

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Haha- LOVE The Wizard! Yes, it may have been a 90 minute long NES commercial, but it was also just a fun and even touching movie. Very Happy Cool
(Plus, I'm thinking it was also the world's first glimpse of Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES- so that's way cool too.)
Cal-li-FORN-ya!

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:

It took me 17 years to made it past the first level on Super Mario 3... not because I couldn't beat it, but mostly because I couldn't stand the game. Weird, I know.

Now I play it (among other many other games) on my coffee and bathroom breaks on my MP5. The built-in save-state option makes it way more bearable.

I've seen the movie a few years ago with my brother... it was quite nice, yet a little annoying.

Mikey
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinice wrote:
I am more a classic gamer but I do play modern games.

Atari, Coleco, Intellivision, NES, Odyssey 2, Sega, TG-16

Vectrex

Incredible!

Mikey
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinice wrote:
Great set of systems.

I would be stuck in the house for days with all this. I would absolutely never get bored.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Video Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: