80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Dragstor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Dragstor Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

We've come down to the last regular character from the vintage line to get the Classics update. (regular meaning not variant, beast or vehicle) It's a personal favorite of mine both as an Evil Horde member, and just as part of the line in general. So naturally I'm partly overjoyed to finally have him, and partly miffed that he ended up as the last one to be released but anyway, here is the super speedster; Dragstor!

Dragstor comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package fully showcasing the figure within. However, for some reason, he is lacking the Evil Horde logo sticker on his bubble! The back shows off other Evil Horde figures in the line and presents a bio for the character.

This is one of the better written bios in the line but, being such a fan of the character as I am, I still must point out a few problems. There are two official versions of the story that I know of and in neither is it implied Theydon underwent the transformation to Dragstor willingly. (Theydon is his real name from the UK comic so kudos for getting that right) Granted in the mini-comic it doesn't really say one way or the other but he was strapped down to the table and didn't look happy to be there. Plus Hordak referred to him as a simple weakling which goes against the idea of him being a superior athlete. In the UK comic he was a super athlete who was captured and transformed against his will. Either way it is made clear memory tampering and brainwashing was involved. The line about him dragging people back to Hordak is taken from the old licensing guide, but was clearly written by someone who didn't understand the idea behind his name. He's called Dragstor as a play on the word dragster -as in a drag race vehicle.

Dragstor was always a special figure to me because, aside from just plain being an awesome looking character, the story of how I got my vintage one is kinda sentimental. At the time I had never heard of or seen the figure before. I simply came home from school one day and my mom gave him to me. No special occasion, no reward for anything, she had simply been out shopping while I was at a school, saw this new figure she'd never seen before either, and SHE actually thought he looked cool and I would like him. Boy was she right he was cool and I did, and still do, really like him. Plus I never forgot that she got him for me just because. No special reason, she just did it to be nice.

So naturally I was super excited to get an updated version of this guy I loved. So how did he turn out?

Dragstor looks almost exactly like his vintage figure, just updated with more detail and articulation. And in the end isn't that the whole point of Classics? While the vintage figure was all a unique sculpt, the Classics utilizes some reused parts and as such he has most of the same articulation as most figures. Head, shoulders and thighs are on ball joints, swivels at the biceps wrists waist and boot cuts, standard joints at the elbows knees and ankles. He does have the standard torso with the ab crunch, however his overly armor largely inhibits this from being used.

And that's one area where he differs from his vintage figure. The vintage's action feature was his unique torso that had a spinning wheel in it along with gears for ripcord action. The ripcord fit through a hole in his belt area next to the wheel and when zipped out sent him racing along on his chest. It would have been great to get a Classics version that had the same spinning wheel even without ripcord action. Many fans were upset we didn't, particularly after they did give a unique torso to Buzz Saw Hordak, but the plain fact is it was impractical to honestly expect it. Don't forget BS Hordak originally wasn't going to have the open torso and only got it due to an error with Mattel spending the budget for the 200X King Hiss torso on it. With all the detail on Dragstor he would've needed a much bigger budget and cost a lot more to get such a feature.

What he does have is an armor overlay that features the look of his wheel but doesn't spin. What they did do though is to give the wheel more detail with sculpted tire treads. It is worth noting though that he doesn't balance on his chest as well as the vintage what with it not being an actual wheel. His overly also features the look of his ripcord hole, but it doesn't actually go through the figure.

One thing they did do wrong though is they gave the Classics Dragstor a black torso when it is supposed to be blue like his arms and legs. Now despite my love of the character, I am not so nitpicky about this detail and still think he looks great. I will note that this does somehow make his chest wires seem to stand out more, however the flip side of that is this seems to be more of a camera lighting issue. In hand and to the naked eye they look exactly right, but somehow looking at them in pictures, or even just through the camera, the black fades together and it looks a bit like he has coiled wire draped over his shoulders instead of bionic tubing in his chest. Again though this is an optical illusion I find, and in hand he is fantastic. Likewise some fans claim his legs look too thin, I disagree and think that they are they way they should be.

The vintage figure had molded closed fists on both arms and simply came with a crossbow that clipped onto his arm. It wasn't even a unique design, they just gave him Hordak's bow painted grey. For the Classics version the figure has the gloved forearms and hands so he can hold weapons in each. The Four Horsemen chose to give him an updated unique crossbow fitting his motif. It is designed like an engine with exhaust pipes. Worth noting too is that Dragstor's rocket pack now has a small loop on the top where the crossbow handle can be inserted letting you store it on his back while giving him extra booster pipes. Sadly this is the one issue I had with my figure in that the crossbow came out of the package slightly bent and warped mainly in the tip. Disappointing, but I still give credit for the cool design matched up to the character. His other weapon is basically the vintage figure's ripcord re-imagined, as we've seen many times with similar items in the line, as a whip weapon. Unexpectedly though they gave the whip a bladed end piece and also molded it out of a stiff plastic that stays in the one twisted position.

Dragstor never made it into the 200X line, however years later the Horsemen showed off concept art revealing they had been working on plans to include him. Sadly the line ended before he could be released in any form. The way the pipes stick up in the shot makes me wonder if this is the inspiration for letting his crossbow plug into his back for the Classics. At any rate though we didn't get to see what he would've looked like so all I could do at the time was make my own custom figure and get a bit radical with the redesign.

And while I do think I did a pretty good job, it's not the same as having an actual official updated product. Finally after all these many years Dragstor has a new figure and I love it. I may be a bit biased due to my fondness for the character, but on the other hand that also makes me critical about getting him right. As I mentioned, in pictures there can seem to be slight things off and I was picking on those before I actually got the figure. In hand though those problems I saw seem to vanish, aside from the wrong color torso, which I'm honestly not torn up about. A working actual wheel would have been even cooler, but since I never expected him to get one I'm not let down over it. He looks great in hand, he fills a hole that's been in the collection too long, and I am thrilled to have him here at long last.

At the time of this posting Dragstor is still available on Mattycollector.com, but I suggest you grab him quickly because, even if he doesn't sell out, Mattel is likely to take him down before Black Friday. Good luck and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Maybe my eyesight isn't great or I missed seeing him but I don't see Loo-Kee anywhere.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to Loo-Kee really hard for him. Wink Laughing

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay yeah, I got so caught up in finally having Dragstor I forgot to slip Loo-Kee into a picture.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: