80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Flutterina

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Flutterina Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

it's with a bit of a heavy, or at least worried sick, heart that I go into my reviews for the month as we very well may be looking at a premature end to them. It seems the subscription sales for 2015 only hit 90% and Mattel is saying that's not good enough. The sub sales will be reopened from Friday through Monday (8/22 -8/25) to try and get those last numbers in but otherwise they are really threatening to pull the plug leaving us incomplete when we were sooooooooooooooooooooo close. I say Mattel is being stupid and greedy. With numbers that close there are plenty of options to take besides cancelling the whole thing. The most obvious one is make 2015 sub only -no day of sale for any figure. Really when you consider the inevitable backlash and bad PR that would follow a full cancellation they'd be loosing even more money to not go ahead. Still I'm not the one in charge, so please do what you can and maybe buy a sub this weekend so we can finish properly.

That said on to the review: The ranks of the Great Rebellion are getting some much needed expansion this year, both from the Club Etheria mini-sub and from the main Club Eternia wherein we get this month's beautiful flying fighter: Flutterina. Flutterina comes packed in the standard MOTUC blister card package complete with the Princess of Power logo sticker on the front. The back of the box shows off other figures in the line and presents a bio for the character.

This bio is clearly taken more from early toyline back story instead of Filmation. In the cartoon Flutterina was a slave servant known simply as Small One who was injured while helping free She-Ra from her evil slave master. She-Ra took Small One to the Crystal Castle where Light Hope placed her in a magic cocoon and, like a caterpillar transforming, she emerged in her new winged form. She made a few more appearances where she demonstrated other powers including being able to change into an actual, normal bug sized, butterfly. (She's also apparently got increased strength and she was shown holding up two men while flying with no problem)

By "Randor's new man-at-arms" I'm assuming that means she hooks up with Clamp Champ in this continuity. Don't misinterpret this but, somehow I'm not a fan of that pairing. Probably just because I've never been too wild about Clamp Champ's character and his role in the Classics continuity did not help his case. At least it does confirm Flutterina survives the Second Ultimate Battleground, which is a hell of a lot more respectful to the character than what they did in the awful "New52" MOTU comics.

Now when you take Flutterina out of the package, the first thing you need to do is plug her wings into the body. Like most winged characters in the line they are unattached in the package due to the large wingspan being too big to fit in the bubble. Flutterina introduces a new female torso sculpt with holes in the back of the actual body, not just the clothing. It also features a choker/collar that is actually part of the sculpt. (This torso will be showing up again real soon with Sweet Bee and I could see them using it for Angella too) You'll notice also that Flutterina's hair is molded in such away that it goes around and over the wings allowing them to move. The wings are on peg joints and plug right into the body -though make sure you push them in all the way or they'll just fall off when you try to adjust them. Thanks to the joints the wings are articulated and can be posed spread or back. Despite their size they do not seem to throw off her balance at all, I've had no problems keeping her standing. (Unlike Extendar who decided to fall over again the other night knocking several figures off the shelf and making a huge racket that woke me up at 2:30 in the morning!)

Fully assembled with her wings, the pattern side should be facing out as seen here, Flutterina is a beautiful figure. Her face sculpt is especially pretty with great details such as the curled makeup at the corners of her eyes. She features a lot of bright coloring both in her wings and her outfit, especially the gold bracers, belt and choker. Both her forearms and boots are new sculpts, and sadly she also does not feature boot cut articulation -which is now seemingly the standard for females -but she does have the rocker joints in the feet. On the subject of articulation though, it should be noted that her side to side head movement is hindered because of her hair hitting the wings. One other thing about the wings that confuses me is that the patterns are actually sculpted on, and thus are slightly raised. An actual butterfly's wings would not have raised patterns, they are simply colorings. Though I will say it is right to have them solid and not semi-translucent plastic as some fans suggested. Again, butterfly wings are solid colored and not translucent.

For accessories Flutterina comes with the standard POP shield done in two tone orange with a purple gem. She also includes a sword, which is the same mold that came with Battleground Teela and Queen Marlena, this time painted with a pink hilt.

Classics Flutterina is based more on her Filmation appearance but, as you can see, she was one of the characters who didn't differ much from vintage toy to cartoon. I do think they made the right choice in giving her simply articulated wings rather than some attempt to recreate the look of her vintage action feature. It worked much like Webstor's grappling pack in that there was a pulley rope through the wings/backpack that when pulled would make her "fly" along the line while her wings flapped quickly.

I was surprised when she was announced ahead of Angella or Mermista, but I have no objections to the final product. I love how beautiful Flutterina turned out. She ranks alongside Castaspella as one of the prettiest female figures in the line and looks great standing among her fellow Great Rebellion members. She fully captures the beautiful butterfly angle of the character, but at the same time manages to pull off the butt kicking warrior look and doesn't come off as (for lack of a better term) "too girly".

As of this posting Flutterina is still available on Mattycollector.com, but is marked Almost Gone so hurry on over to pick her up, and while you're there don't forget to sign up for the 2015 sub! Until next time, and hopefully many times after that, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: