80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Real people with '80s cartoon names

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Real people with '80s cartoon names Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else has ever had this happen, but I think it's funny when I meet people with a name that I immediately associate with a 1980s cartoon character (even if they and probably their parents don't. Laughing )
And I'm not talking cartoon names like George (as in The Jetsons) or John (as in Blackstar), etc. I mean more like the names that you just don't seem to hear every day.
For instance, just today I have met people named Cheetara and Octavia. Very Happy Cool (I work at a school so I meet lots of new people.)
(No, they didn't look like this:

)

And there's a book there I refer to as 30/30 (which is the start of its full name)- and every time I see it, I think of this guy-

(Marshall Bravestarr's trusty robotic horse sidekick on "Bravestarr".) Very Happy Cool

(Of course, I've also met a few Karas at different times and I think of Supergirl's Kryptonian name too- lol.)

Thankfully, I haven't met any Skeletors or Mumm-Ras just yet. Wink
I'm pretty sure I've asked this fun little trivia question before, but there are also two real Biblical people with 1980s cartoon names (more unusual ones, that is)- anyone want to take a guess on them?
Does anyone have any other stories of encounters like this?
And just to clarify- I don't believe in making fun of people's names and that's not the purpose of this thread. I just thought it was a funny coincidence and that you guys might appreciate it. Smile Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm looking forward to name my daughter after a cartoon character, that's for sure Razz

I haven't met, however, any person around the globe whose name resembles a cartoon character (with the exception of one Octavia, but I didnt know about the character that time Laughing).

Nice topic, Mac!

Quote:
And just to clarify- I don't believe in making fun of people's names and that's not the purpose of this thread.

I dont believe in that either, but there´s always gonna be people willing to do it. I call them "!!"(!)="(!" Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, IceDragon. Smile
Yeah- there are lots of interesting cartoon characters to choose from for names... Cool

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome Smile

Rhonda (as for Rhonda Rabbit) and Jane (as for the vixen in Legends of Treasure Island) are my biggest bets for a name. Only problem... nobody would ever let me xD

Last edited by IceDragon on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartoons? No, afraid mot. I knew a woman who named her daughter's middle name after T'Pring from Star Trek but spelled it Dupring. My late cousins first and middle names were Crystal Dawn.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly the same, but, we did name our cat Muta. After the cat of the same name in Studio Ghibli's The Cat Returns. We also had a cat named Odie because he was so dog like, though he just came from the pound with that name as well.

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also known a Leia who might have been named for the Star Wars character (she was the right age to have been born near or after then).

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha- that's cool. Pet names can fit in the thread too- in fact, I imagine there are probably a number of pets named for TV show/movie characters. I initially had the example of '80s cartoon characters in mind, but yeah- any sort of example is fine. Very Happy Cool
Those are some great examples. For that matter, that reminds me of the time I met a real life Michael Knight- but I don't think he owned a talking car. Smile Cool

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little fun fact for you MacGyver: Richard Dean Anderson (THE MacGyver) and I share the same high school alma mater. Wink

On another tangent, sorry, but hearing about Michael Knight this came to mind.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa- that's totally awesome, Mayor West!
As you might can tell, I'm a HUGE fan of MacGyver- it's still my all time favorite show! So yeah- that's way cool that you and Richard Dean Anderson went to the same high school. Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran across this thread again and remembered this little bit here-
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've asked this fun little trivia question before, but there are also two real Biblical people with 1980s cartoon names (more unusual ones, that is)- anyone want to take a guess on them?

For the record, if anyone's interested, I'm referring to none other than that famous brother and sister duo, He-Man and She-Ra! Very Happy Cool
(I don't think the Biblical people were related and yes- their names are spelt a little differently- but I figured it's close enough.)
I just ran across this in reading The Bible a while back and thought it was pretty cool.
You can read about Heman, a musician who by the inspiration of The Holy Spirit wrote one of the Psalms (Psalms 8Cool, in these passages here.
And you can read in 1 Chronicles about Sheerah, daughter of Ephraim and granddaughter of Joseph as well as great-granddaughter of Jacob/Israel, and of course, great-great-granddaughter of Isaac and great-great-great-granddaughter of Abraham! Very Happy Cool Befitting to her name (considering the cartoon character bearing her namesake), Sheerah was a builder of towns, who built upper and lower Beth-horon and Uzzen-sheerah. You can read about her and her family here.

I wonder if the writers of the cartoons purposely drew from The Bible in naming the characters or if it was just a neat coincidence. I tend to think it's just a cool coincidence, but anyway- there's some Biblical trivia for you if you like. Smile Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: