80sCartoons.net Forum Index

When did you get your NES?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: When did you get your NES? Reply with quote

I got mine when i was 6 for my birthday and i became a gamer since, i got it with Super Mario/Duckhunt and Zelda then got SMB 2 and Zelda 2 for christmas that year.

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine, hmm, I bought it myself so I was in my twenties. Ours had SMB/Duck Hunt with Zapper. We had or rented SMB2, SMB3, Zelda, Zelda II, Star Tropics, among others. We rented a lot. I know we owned SMB/Duck Hunt, Zelda, Zelda II and Star Tropics. I'm not sure what else we owned.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started gaming on a stand-alone Pong clone that had 4 games and the control knobs were on the machine (early 80s). Moved from that to Atari 2600 then Commodore 64 the NES.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also remember playing the Atari 2600, though I never owned one myself. I think the Nintendo Entertainment System was the first home video game system I ever had. (Actually, the only one really- though I later got a portable one- my Sega Game Gear, which I still like to play every now and then. Smile)
I think our family got the NES somewhere in the late '80s for Christmas one year- I was probably 6 or 7 maybe...

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Mayor West
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my NES with some serious chore money in 1987. K-Mart Pong then graduated to the 2600. Rocked my world to play the NES the first time. Even being a arcade hall bandit for so long the Nintendo seemed too cool!

IceDragon
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine just a few years back, in 2007. It came with the classic SMB/Duck Hunt combo-cartridge (which I had to buy separately, even when it was the same seller and at the same time ŽŽ) and I also bought a very beaten-up copy of Rad Racer (which only costed me $3 dollars) and a Double Dragon 1 cartridge... that one worthed $5, but itīs general status was not so good either. I did not bought or have played anymore games on that NES, because they were so expensive, but I am still on the mood for some SMB. Just like old times Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I have thought of investing in a NES again just to relive some old video game playing time of my youth. Very Happy Cool
Double Dragon is an excellent fighting game- one of my favorites. And of course you can't beat the Super Mario Bros. games.

Mayor West
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unbelievable hype and anticipation for the release of SMB 2 was crazy! Stores sold out so fast and were giving away so many rain checks, I thought I would never get my hands on it.

The best part of getting back into the old systems and games is that they are so cheap (US anyway). My original Sega Genesis and Sega CD were lost years ago, but I recently replaced them and a few games for under $30.

Also, emulators on the PC rock! Wink

Ps My friend never understood why I would not use the brakes in Rad Racer...MAX SPEED of course!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The unbelievable hype and anticipation for the release of SMB 2 was crazy! Stores sold out so fast and were giving away so many rain checks, I thought I would never get my hands on it.

Do you mean Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario Bros. 3? I remember the hype for the third one more so than the second. And yes, that was huge- I remember getting SMB3 for Christmas in 1990. That was pretty awesome. Very Happy Cool

Mayor West
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to believe, but the hype for 2 was huge! Most kids I knew heard it was coming only to see it delayed and release date(s) pushed further and further back. I think, but am not positive, that SMB2 was supposed to be a completely different game, they just added sprites of the Mario characters to get something out the door. This gave them time to completely polish off SMB3 (would have been 2).

When 3 came out, man, that was pretty insane, too! So different, it really solidified the franchise.

That was a great Christmas gift you got, I remember it being one of the most expensive games at that time! I had to drool over my cousins copy for what seemed like an eternity. Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- of course, SMB3 was kind of a big gift for me and my brothers as we all would play the NES and share the video games of course. Very Happy Cool

The whole thing with SMB2 about the Mario sprites being added on top of an existing game is true though. (I still love the game in any case though).

Here's a Wired article on it- http://www.wired.com/2011/04/super-mario-bros-2/

You can actually play the original game intended for the title of Super Mario Bros. 2 on the Super Nintendo system- on the "Mario's All Stars" game, there is a game called "Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels" that you can play- that one is the game in question. And it is pretty hard and challenging, but I think that's a good thing as it's more fun to tackle it.

IceDragon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
I remember getting SMB3 for Christmas in 1990. That was pretty awesome. Very Happy Cool

That must have been pretty awesome, Indeed Very Happy!

Quote:
The best part of getting back into the old systems and games is that they are so cheap (US anyway). My original Sega Genesis and Sega CD were lost years ago, but I recently replaced them and a few games for under $30.

Yeah, there are some more-than-interesting deals on Ebay and other sites. I recently bought a very nice Gameboy (plus a game) for next to no money Very Happy... and I wanted one really badly since I was a kid.

Congratulations on getting your stuff back for such an excellent price man.

Mayor West
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The shipping was almost as expensive as the console, but I suppose being in Argentina it must be really difficult. Not just the shipping cost but I guess even finding someone who will ship internationally.

I have a good friend who lives in Chile and whenever somebody visits they usually take a large suitcase filled with goodies. The extra baggage fee is a lot cheaper than shipping it! Have you found many good regional sites for your collections? Do you do use any emulators for video games and consoles?

TTFN Very Happy

IceDragon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
Thanks! The shipping was almost as expensive as the console, but I suppose being in Argentina it must be really difficult.

Not just the shipping cost but I guess even finding someone who will ship internationally.

Yeah, most time the shipping alone kills the good offers, but sometimes you have to risk that extra price. I just love it when the box arrives Razz

Quote:
I have a good friend who lives in Chile and whenever somebody visits they usually take a large suitcase filled with goodies. The extra baggage fee is a lot cheaper than shipping it!

TTFN Very Happy

A friend of mine got a SEGA Genesis that way, and yes, itīs a LOT cheaper (and you dont have to wait either). I would like to try it sometime Smile

Quote:
Have you found many good regional sites for your collections

Very few actually, I used to buy my stuff in Game Stores and collecting stores. I dont like it anymore because of the "collector's price" (overpricing stuff).

Quote:
Do you do use any emulators for video games and consoles?

Yes I do Smile NES and GBA specially. Which consoles do you emulate?

Mayor West
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get too far off topic I guess...

As far as emulation goes I have a hobby of building arcade machines with PC game emulation software. So pretty much anything that is available console wise I do, except for current or still common platforms Wink. I use a program called HyperSpin that runs them all through a customizable GUI.

This is a book that really got me started and was super fun and informative:

Project Arcade: Build Your Own Arcade Machine. by John St. Clair (Feb 1, 2011) Second Edition projectarcade.com

Do you use 220 volt AC? Do many people get systems based on 110v and have success using converters? Very interesting stuff!

IceDragon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:

As far as emulation goes I have a hobby of building arcade machines with PC game emulation software. So pretty much anything that is available console wise I do, except for current or still common platforms Wink. I use a program called HyperSpin that runs them all through a customizable GUI.

Project Arcade: Build Your Own Arcade Machine. by John St. Clair (Feb 1, 2011) Second Edition projectarcade.com

Do you use 220 volt AC? Do many people get systems based on 110v and have success using converters? Very interesting stuff!

That is REALLY cool man! I have seen a few videos explaining the idea before, but I have never got to meet someone who actually did it.

As for the volts... that is really a problem sometimes. All my systems work with the 220v standard, but the foreign ones I got from the Internet do it at 110. Of course, If you plug in those into our walls sockets, you could destroy not only the console, but most of the electrical circuit.

Most consoles I have seen came with converters anyway (and if not, they still are surprisingly cheap) so most people dont have any kind of troubles playing with their new machines Smile

Very interesting indeed!

EDIT: Thanks for the book info, I will give it a look as soonest as I get some spare time.

Mayor West
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
That is REALLY cool man! I have seen a few videos explaining the idea before, but I have never got to meet someone who actually did it. .

It is really fun. I teamed up with my brother-in-law who builds the cabinets, while I handle software and electronics.

Granted not everybody has space for a huge cabinet, so lots of times people just build a PC and link it to a TV screen, then use whatever controller they like the most.

IceDragon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
IceDragon wrote:
That is REALLY cool man! I have seen a few videos explaining the idea before, but I have never got to meet someone who actually did it. .

It is really fun. I teamed up with my brother-in-law who builds the cabinets, while I handle software and electronics.

Granted not everybody has space for a huge cabinet, so lots of times people just build a PC and link it to a TV screen, then use whatever controller they like the most.

Yeah, thatīs exactly what I saw in that video. Unfortunaly, I cant remember the channel nor the video title, but It was a cool and very lovely machine (based on Windows 7 if I remember correctly) with images and gameplays for every game in the DB. Iīd love to have one of those around Razz

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mayor West wrote:

That is REALLY cool man! I have seen a few videos explaining the idea before, but I have never got to meet someone who actually did it.

As for the volts... that is really a problem sometimes. All my systems work with the 220v standard, but the foreign ones I got from the Internet do it at 110. Of course, If you plug in those into our walls sockets, you could destroy not only the console, but most of the electrical circuit.

Most consoles I have seen came with converters anyway (and if not, they still are surprisingly cheap) so most people dont have any kind of troubles playing with their new machines Smile

Very interesting indeed!

EDIT: Thanks for the book info, I will give it a look as soonest as I get some spare time.

Just to echo the comments here- WOW! Way cool! Very Happy Cool
If you care to do so, I'd be interested to see some pictures here of your finished products.

Last edited by MacGyver on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
IceDragon
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not find the original video that I was talking about, but this one seems pretty cool too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o4XSUbfkmQ

The NES-PC is notably easier to build, but its still an expensive project! (and you need to "waste" an NES to do so).

Last edited by IceDragon on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Video Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: