80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Plundor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Plundor Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

We've reached the last figure of the 2013 subscription and we're going out with sinister diabolical villain. A character coming to us for the first time now that we have the Filmation rights. Read on and I will tell you of him.

BUT read on only if ye be brave! For this is a villain so horrible, so vial that no one, save He-Man himself, as ever been able to stop his path of destruction. He drains the very life force of planets leaving nothing but a smog filled wasteland devoid of life! So He-Fans and She-Ravers, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further for death awaits you all (with nasty big pointy teeth). I give you Plundor the Spoiler!

....... Look that's no ordinary rabbit!

Okay seriously, despite his rather goofy appearance, Plundor was actually one of the most evil villains He-Man ever fought. Many fans dismiss Plundor because he's just a big pink bunny, but that is a large mistake. First of all he's purple not pink, but more importantly his non-threatening appearance was pretty much the whole point of the character.

Plundor appeared in the episode "Quest For He-Man" written by Paul Dini. Dini purposely created a villain who was silly looking yet diabolical in nature. Plundor represented corporate robber barons, their lack of proper environmental policies, and the characters used by many companies to target children directly for their audience to sell products like Joe Camel. Pludor was a warning for children to not trust those characters that seemed friendly and good-natured because there was something sinister going on beneath the surface. While most villains like Skeletor were motivated by a lust for power, Plundor cared only about wealth. Plundor took over an entire planet to strip it of its natural resources for a profit. That was the big reveal of his nature. At first it seemed he was the typical "take over and enslave or destroy anyone who opposed him" villain. I mean he has his own army of flying robot minions, but then he explains his plan is solely to exploit the planet's resources for profit. Destroy an entire planet and wipe species out of existence just for money? Plundor "would do anything for money!"

Okay let's look at the actual figure now. Plundor comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package. The back of the box shows off other figures in the line and gives us a bio for Plundor.

I have to admit while I like how it acknowledges his full title of "The Spoiler" I find it agrivating that his real name is said to be Plundor when so many other characters have been given stupid real names that were uncalled for. (I'm looking at you here Hordak!) Otherwise though, like most of the new Filmation figures, his bio does a fine job of summing up the episode's story without going off on weird tangents about the character that make up ridiculous new information. It might have been a good idea to mention that He-Man got his memory back before defeating Plundor but that's nitpicking.

As goofy as the character design may be, I love how this figure turned out. The detail is right out of the cartoon and scaled up to really make him stand out. Plundor uses the Hordak gloved forearms and hands plus the Keldor shins and boots, however instead of just the standard buck he actually used the Beast Man mold for his torso arms and legs. Therefore he has the sculpted furry body and doesn't simply have a rabbit head. There's also a great deal of shading on both his armor and body. This guy wasn't just slapped together quickly. The Four Horsemen actually put the full effort into him and it shows.

Plundor has all the standard articulation and his armor is soft and flexible, plus it's free sitting, so it does not interfere at all. One thing I do have to mention though is that his right hip seems a bit low. While he stands up straight and doesn't lean to the side, the joint is more visible than on other figures. I'm not sure why that is. I don't think this is a major issue though as it easily becomes hidden once he's posed around a bit, But I did notice it's not symmetrical with the other leg.

I really like the head sculpt on him. The Horsemen put a lot of detail into it, first with fully sculpting his furry appearance. His ears are molded into a unique pose instead of just sticking up straight. Most of all though is his expression. Many were worried he would be given a goofy grin or basically a look that wasn't evil enough. Instead his eyes and mouth carry a sinister scheming smirk that leaves no question that this is one bad bunny.

Plundor didn't really use any weapons in the episode, but the figure includes two. Although one isn't really meant for him. The first is just a repaint of Webstor's gun. It's a generic weapon, but it works fine for him. Personally I think he looks best holding it with both hands. In the cartoon Plundor basically just let his mechanical "rabbots" do the fighting for him. It would have been cool to get one of these but realistically it couldn't happen as it would be a whole 100% tool figure in and of itself.

The other accessory included is the Filmation battle axe for Skeletor. This is an accessory fans have wanted for some time. When Battle Armor Skeletor was released in Classics he included a simple repaint of He-Man's axe as a nod to this weapon, but much like Keldor's swords it wasn't the actual product. Now we have what it was supposed to be, done in a more blue tone and, most importantly, featuring a large crystal ball on top. I will say that it looks a tad too long in the space between the ball and the blades, but overall this is a good weapon and much better translation from the cartoon.

Skeletor used this in the very first episode "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" mainly in place of his Havoc Staff. The axe could fire magic blasts from the orb and he could use the orb like a crystal ball to scry on enemies. I could have sworn he used this in a few other episodes too, but I'm not finding any others.

So that's Plundor the big evil bunny rabbit. Silly as he may be, I really like this figure. I was more interested in getting him than Strong Arm. Many fans may find that odd, but again while Strong Arm was a cool design, he didn't really do anything in his appearance. Plundor on the other hand was the main villain for his episode and is more memorable as a result. That said, I will admit he and Sea Hawk should have swapped places in the lineups. This is more a reflection on Sea Hawk though. The way it was done Sea Hawk was the sole good guy and the sole recurring character in the Club Filmation mini-sub. Plundor should have been released in Club Filmation thus making it uniformal with all once shot villains, while Sea Hawk should have been in the main line with other major characters -and also given full day of sale availability.

Regardless though, Plundor is a awesomely weird addition to the collection. As of this post he is still available on Mattycollector.com. Until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."

Last edited by Lord Skeletor on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome review! Plundor is in my all time favorite top 5 MOTUC figures released thus far.

My fingers are crossed that they step into the foreign variations, which would more or less all be repaints. I want me some Fuerza-T and a camouflage Kobra Kahn in MOTUC style!

I'd also really like to see an Eldor figure and others based off of unreleased prototypes and designs. Also, Modulok in his original Filmation form, three legs and all! Also a Multi-Bot pack with swappable parts would rule! They have so much to work with in this series, I hope it lasts the next ten years and they put out EVERYTHING and EVERYONE imaginable!

Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for any dead picture links you're seeing here -Photbucket is f-ing with me again! I've notified them about the problem, but honestly I don't expect them to do jack about it.

@Sharpfork: While Fuerza-T figures were made with vintage MOTU molds (that Mattel had sold off) the characters and property in general are not owned by Mattel and are not actually part of the MOTU franchise. Mattel would have to work out a license deal so I wouldn't expect to see them.

Camouflage Kobra Khan can be done and was one of the choices for the fan select poll last year but lost to Geldor. That doesn't mean he won't ever get made though.

Eldor is highly fan demanded so he stands a fair chance of showing up.

Modulok is coming in February but is based more on the toy. Apparently he will be designed so you can make a Filmation three legged look, but you'll need to acquire a third matching leg. (MOTU_Maniac over on He-man.org is selling off individual pieces from his extras so you could try him. He's good to work with -he got me my Granamyr)

Multi-Bot is scheduled for the line but we're 99.9% sure he's not coming until 2015. So let's keep this line going so we get everyone!

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Skeletor wrote:
I apologize for any dead picture links you're seeing here -Photbucket is f-ing with me again! I've notified them about the problem, but honestly I don't expect them to do jack about it.

@Sharpfork: While Fuerza-T figures were made with vintage MOTU molds (that Mattel had sold off) the characters and property in general are not owned by Mattel and are not actually part of the MOTU franchise. Mattel would have to work out a license deal so I wouldn't expect to see them.

Camouflage Kobra Khan can be done and was one of the choices for the fan select poll last year but lost to Geldor. That doesn't mean he won't ever get made though.

Eldor is highly fan demanded so he stands a fair chance of showing up.

Modulok is coming in February but is based more on the toy. Apparently he will be designed so you can make a Filmation three legged look, but you'll need to acquire a third matching leg. (MOTU_Maniac over on He-man.org is selling off individual pieces from his extras so you could try him. He's good to work with -he got me my Granamyr)

Multi-Bot is scheduled for the line but we're 99.9% sure he's not coming until 2015. So let's keep this line going so we get everyone!

Thats wonderful news!

Fuerza-T repaints would be cool, but Im sure the licensing would be a fiasco, Was Top Toys even permitted by Mattel to use the vintage molds for the Fuerza-T figures? There might be some sort of loophole. Guess Ill have to get a few customs made!

Id really love to see a Kamo Kahn soon, I really cant believe Geldor won over him! Mad

Do you think they will bring back the all new characters? I think they are a very important part to the line and really expand the universe. Sure, some of them suck (like Spector and Cy-Chop), but characters like Draego-Man and Castle Grayskull-man really fit in to the storyline! (Photog too! but I consider him more canon with the vintage line since he technically has been known about for 30 years)

Would they be able to produce any of the exclusive characters that appeared in Marvel Comics? Theres one "Brain Alien" on the cover of issue 10 that looks suspiciously like the drawing of a purposed character for the vintage toyline...

How about the Laser Power He Man and Skeletor? Meteorbs? Ro-Tar and Twistoid? Saurod, Blade or any movie characters?

I know they have pulled a lot of characters out of very obscure references (Strobo, Gygor), Id really like to see some characters based off of Knock-Offs like the Speclatron figures or Monsters of the Galaxy. Also, figures based off of straight up Bootleg figures! like the "Guerreros Del Espacio" figures (The Skeletor with huge goat horns on his head is awesome!) or the characters featured on the left and right of this bootleg Italian dart gun:

I know Im dreaming on a lot of this, but this is literally one of the best lines out right now and has the potential to become INCREDIBLE!

Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30th Anniversary figures were stated up-front to be a one time deal and would not be getting re-releases. Actually now they're not re-doing anyone anymore but old figures do pop up when they sell off old customer service stock. As far as I know though they sold off all remaining stock of the 30th guys during last year's Black Friday sale.

However, the characters are now part of the franchise. It has been stated that even when Classics eventually ends the MOTU franchise could life on in other forms including a possible new line of figures (ones that would be likely smaller and with less articulation) so they could come back in that form but don't expect to see them again in the Classics line.

I'm not entirely sure if they can do the Marvel/Starr comic characters. I think they can but aren't actively pursuing it. I seem to recall in one Q&A someone asked about getting Lt. Andra and Toyguru stated it was possible, but they wanted to do more important/popular ones first. Basically it's like "would you rather have the brain alien or Tung Lashor?"

The plan right now is to have everyone who had a figure in the vintage line and the POP line out by the end of 2015. (along with a few major characters from Filmation and NA) So yes, Rotar and Twistoid are on the roadmap. They want to get to the vintage variants including the Laser Power ones too. The Meteorbs they can do, but are concentrating on the figures for now so I wouldn't expect to see them soon.

As for the movie characters, they can only do the three who had figures in the line already. Blade is coming in April, Saurod and Gwildor will follow either in '14 or '15. (I believe Scott said we'd get two in one year and one in the other but wouldn't specify which) Characters like Karg or movie costume variants they can't currently do . The movie rights are currently held by Warner Bros. and thus weren't included when they got the Filmation rights.

any bootleg guys would probably fall under the category of they don't own them, and even if they could do them they want to do less obscure ones first.

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Skeletor wrote:
The 30th Anniversary figures were stated up-front to be a one time deal and would not be getting re-releases. Actually now they're not re-doing anyone anymore but old figures do pop up when they sell off old customer service stock. As far as I know though they sold off all remaining stock of the 30th guys during last year's Black Friday sale.

However, the characters are now part of the franchise. It has been stated that even when Classics eventually ends the MOTU franchise could life on in other forms including a possible new line of figures (ones that would be likely smaller and with less articulation) so they could come back in that form but don't expect to see them again in the Classics line.

What I meant was do they plan on creating anymore original characters for the MOTUC line or is that idea completely done with?

Thanks for all the information! I try to keep up with it all but Ive really just recently started collecting these figures and I really love them. I started off with the DC Classics figures but the quality control with them is terrible, one in five figures Id get would have some awful problem. So far MOTUC figures are very high quality, Ive only heard of a few figures that have paint problems (orko ears, although I see this as an easy fix) and few plastic problems (Green Goddess is brittle or something?). Anyway, Thanks again for the info and all the great reviews! You have really helped me get into the MOTUC line!

Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpFork wrote:

What I meant was do they plan on creating anymore original characters for the MOTUC line or is that idea completely done with?

Thanks for all the information! I try to keep up with it all but Ive really just recently started collecting these figures and I really love them. I started off with the DC Classics figures but the quality control with them is terrible, one in five figures Id get would have some awful problem. So far MOTUC figures are very high quality, Ive only heard of a few figures that have paint problems (orko ears, although I see this as an easy fix) and few plastic problems (Green Goddess is brittle or something?). Anyway, Thanks again for the info and all the great reviews! You have really helped me get into the MOTUC line!

They had been planning to release some more brand new characters but the reworked road-map has pushed those ideas to the back burner until 2016 at the earliest. For the next two years the focus is going to be on getting the rest of the vintage characters out along with some fan-demanded characters who will be getting figures for the first time, though the characters themselves have been part of the franchise for years (e.g. Scorpia, Madame Razz...)

I post updates on the reveals over in the "New He-Man" thread in the 80's toys index but to recap what we know so far:

2014:
Jan: Two Bad
Feb: Glimmer
March: Hydron
April: Blade
May: Scorpia
June: Extendar
July: Flogg
August: Flutterina

1st Quarter (Feb): Modulok
2nd Quarter (May): Battle Lion
3rd Quarter (July?): Intergalactic (NA) Skeletor
4th Quarter: ??? $38 item

sometime in 2014
either Tung Lashor or Sssqueeze
Madame Razz with Broom
Loo-Kee

sometime in 2015
Mara
Blast-Attak
Multi-Bot
Huntara
either Sssqueeze or Tung Lashor (whoever doesn't come in 2014)

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the future line-ups! 2014 looks good aside from a few of them! I really hate the inclusion of the 90s He-Man figures, they should save all of them for when the line is about to end for good. I mean seriously Hydron and Flogg get released before Tung Lashor/Sssqueeze, Multi-Bot and even Blast Attack? UGH. Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: