80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Real life celebrity cartoons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Real life celebrity cartoons Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this topic recently. It's pretty funny to think of all the cartoons that have been made that are based on real life celebrities- some that are actually pretty good and some that are just hilariously crazy.
I watched some of these shows as a kid and some I have seen recently again- and that got me started thinking on this. So here I am trying to list the various ones I can think of, though I am sure there are probably more I'm not aware of. Feel free to add more if you know of others.

(Note: I'm thinking more of shows that are actually based on the celebrity's life or at least a fictionalized version of the person. For instance, I would want to include "The Gary Coleman Show" here but, although we do have an animated character with the likeness of Gary Coleman, the character portrayed is actually Andy LeBeau, an apprentice angel- as that whole cartoon series is based on the 1982 TV-movie Gary Coleman starred in- "The Kid with the Broken Halo". However, Gary Coleman has also appeared in animated form as himself in the 2001 Cartoon Network-produced special, "Night of the Living Doo", wherein Scooby-Doo and the gang meet David Cross, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Matthew Sweet and Gary Coleman. [Note: This special is largely a parody of the Scooby-Doo cartoons, but nonetheless- Gary Coleman does appear as himself in this special.])

Comedians/Comic Acts
Laurel & Hardy (1960s cartoon series)
Abbott & Costello (1960s cartoon series)
The New Three Stooges (1960s cartoon series)
The Robonic Stooges (later known as The Three Robonic Stooges) (late 1970s cartoon series)
Will The Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down? (1970s cartoon)
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids (1970s cartoon- also ran through the 1980s) [Note: Featured live action appearances by Bill Cosby as well as an animated teenage version of Bill Cosby. The show is based on his childhood memories of himself and his friends.]
Little Rosey (1990s cartoon) [Note: Features an 8-year-old animated version of comedienne Roseanne Barr in a show based on her childhood memories. There was also a follow-up prime time special called "The Rosey and Buddy Show" aired in 1992.]
Life with Louie (1990s cartoon) [Note: Features Louis "Louie" Anderson providing his voice for an animated version of himself as a kid.]

(Honorable mentions-
The Mad, Mad, Mad Comedians (1970 animated TV-movie special) [Note: Featured numerous comedians in animated likeness with many voicing their own characters as well. Appearing as themselves- Jack Benny, George Burns, Phyllis Diller, George Jessel, Jack E. Leonard, Groucho Marx, Dick Smothers, Tom Smothers, Flip Wilson, and Henry Youngman. Paul Frees performed the voices of W.C. Fields, Chico Marx, Zeppo Marx and the Announcer. Joan Gardner provided the voice of a character named Josephine.]
Clerow Wilson and the Miracle of P.S. 14 (1972 animated special) [Note: Features animated version of Flip Wilson- Clerow Wilson, Jr. is his real name.]
Clerow Wilson's Great Escape (1974 animated special) [Note: Features animated version of Flip Wilson- Clerow Wilson, Jr. is his real name.]
The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley (1980s cartoon) [Note: Featured the animated likeness and voice of Martin Short as his comic character Ed Grimley.]
Bobby's World (1990s cartoon) [Note: Featured live action appearance of Howie Mandel at the start of each show as well as an animated version of his likeness and voice, but he portrayed fictional character Howard Generic. Nonetheless, the cartoon is based at least in some part on his own childhood and how he viewed the world as a kid.]
Waynehead (1990s cartoon) [Note: Based on Damon Wayans' childhood, with the main character being a young boy called Damien "Damey" Wayne- presumably his appearance is based on the likeness of Damon Wayans.]

(Note: These cartoons are more based on the stage comic personas of these people rather than their real personas. Also, Laurel & Hardy and The Three Stooges had appearances on "The New Scooby-Doo Movies", but then- so did a lot of other real life celebrities- for the purposes of this list, I'm looking more for real life celebrities who had cartoons based on them, rather than just appearing in a cameo appearance or guest star role on 1 special or whatever, etc.)

Politicians
Lil' Bush (2000s cartoon- satirical cartoon version of President George H.W. Bush and First Lady Barbara Bush as they raise President George W. Bush as a child. First Lady Laura Bush also appears. Many other politicians appear, as do President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama. Even foreign leaders like Tony Blair and Osama bin Laden appear, as well as the devil himself. Apparently, actors like Arnold Schwarzneggar and Chuck Norris also appear in this cartoon, making it twice that Chuck Norris has been seen in animated form.)
(For a more extensive list of the various real life celebrities that appear- mainly politicians- check the Wikipedia page [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil'_Bush]here[/url].

Movie Stars
Mr. T (1980s cartoon)
Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos (1980s cartoon)
Camp Candy (1980s cartoon featuring John Candy as himself, both in animated likeness and voice. The show involves John Candy running a summer camp for kids.)

(Honorable mentions-
"Rick Moranis in Gravedale High" is a 1990s cartoon that featured the animated likeness and voice of Rick Moranis but he portrayed a character named Max Schneider on the cartoon.)
"Wish Kid" is a 1990s cartoon that featured the animated likeness and voice of Macaulay Culkin but he portrayed a character named Nicholas "Nick" McClary on the cartoon.)

Musicians
The Beatles (1960s cartoon)
The Jackson 5ive (1970s cartoon)
The Osmonds (1970s cartoon)
Mission: Magic! (1970s cartoon- featured Rick Springfield as himself)
The New Kids on the Block (1990s cartoon)
Kid 'N' Play (1990s cartoon)
Hammerman (1990s cartoon- featured MC Hammer as a superhero- in the cartoon he was called by his real name- Stanley Burrell)

(Honorable mentions-
Meatballs & Spaghetti (1980s cartoon)- supposedly based on rock singer Meat Loaf (real name Michael Lee Aday).
Simple Plan appeared in animated form on an episode of "What's New Scooby-Doo?" in the episode "Simple Plan and the Invisible Madman". The band's music was also used in different episodes and the band performed the theme song itself as well.)

Sports stars
I am the Greatest: The Adventures of Muhammad Ali (1970s cartoon)
The Harlem Globetrotters (1970s cartoon)
The Super Globetrotters (late 1970s cartoon)
Hulk Hogan's Rock 'N' Wrestling (1980s cartoon)
Pro Stars (1990s cartoon featuring Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky and Bo Jackson as superheroes)

(Honorable mentions-
Willie Mays and the Say-Hey Kid (1972 animated special featuring an animated version of baseball star Willie Mays; aired as part of The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie series.)

And of course, the greatest Superstar of all-
Jesus Christ- (as depicted in Hanna Barbera's 1980s cartoon series "The Greatest Adventures: Stories From The Bible" and Japanese 1980s series- "Superbook" and "Flying House". And I'm sure a number of other direct-to-video series as well. These are all true to the depiction of Christ as God in The Holy Bible and true to the Christian faith.) Very Happy Cool

Other depictions-
God, the devil and Bob (2000s cartoon)- features God and the devil making a bet with the destruction of the world as the stakes. As far as I can tell, I don't know if a particular religion is mentioned here, but it seems to be a sacreligious parody of God and the devil as The Bible details them.)

And of course, Disney's Hercules: The Animated Series (1990s cartoon) featured Greek mythology's take on God and the devil, as represented by Zeus and Hades, respectively. And of course, a number of other gods and heroes and heroines of Greek mythology showed up.
Also, "The Mighty Hercules" (1960s cartoon) also offered more representations.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O

Last edited by MacGyver on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 13 times in total
Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Cosby
Fat Albert

Damon Wayans
Waynehead

Flip Wilson
Clerow Wilson's Great Escape
Clerow Wilson and the Miracle of P.S. 14

Rossane Barr
Little Rosie

Mad, Mad, Mad Comedians (rankin/bass special)

Globetrotters

Willie Mays and the
Say-Hey Kid

--

Last edited by Straydog on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for adding to the list, Straydog. I can't believe I forgot about Bill Cosby on "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids"- the Bill character is supposed to be him as a teenager, so that definitely counts.

I was familiar with the Globetrotters cartoons and the Roseanne Barr special- just forgot to mention them. (I don't believe "Little Rosie" went past a pilot, did it?)

I was not familiar with the Willie Mays or Flip Wilson entries though- nice. Very Happy Cool

And now that you mention Waynehead, I recall that too- wow, it's been a while since that was on...

Last edited by MacGyver on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would these count? Technically they all are based around comedians and actors, but they are portraying fictional characters to begin with...hmmmm

Mork and Mindy Animated Series

Laverne and Shirley in the Army

Fonz and the Happy Days Gang

Gilligan's Planet

My Favorite Martians

Brady Kids

Punky Brewster the animated series

And thanks for posting a link to that Muhammad Ali series, MacGyver!

I never even knew it existed!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for mentioning those cartoons, SharpFork. I am aware of them all and would love to see them all available in their entirety on DVD.
Yes, technically they are animated versions of real life people- that's true. But I was trying to think of cartoons that were created specifically around a real life celebrity. (i.e. either based on their real life or even a fictionalized version of their real life.)
In the case of all these shows, they are more based on fictional characters that actors and actresses have portrayed on live action shows. (Though that would be a fun category to do in a separate post- animated versions of live action TV shows and/or movies, of which there are quite a few.)

And yeah- I didn't even know about the Muhammad Ali cartoon myself until I ran across it by accident. Glad you liked it. Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added Bobby's World to the list as an honorable mention- I can't believe I forgot that one. I used to love watching this as a kid.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added Hulk Hogan's Rock 'N' Wrestling cartoon to the list under sports stars. Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I added a few more cartoons that I'd honestly rather not have added- mainly because they get more into parody/satire of real life people and I don't really like cartoons that lambast people or their beliefs.
But, in an effort to be as complete as possible, I've added "Lil' Bush" and "God, the devil and Bob" to the list.
(I realize there are a number of other animated shows I could add that feature appearances of God and other religious deities and other mere mortals and so forth, but I'm really only looking for cartoons that are specifically about one main character, not shows where celebrities have made cameos and such- as that list could go on for quite a while. Thus, I am not including Adam West's recurring appearances as a fictionalized version of himself on both "The Fairly Oddparents" and "The Family Guy", though it's worth at least mentioning, I suppose.)
(This also gets into a bit of a question of distinguishing between cartoons clearly aimed at children and the whole family versus shows that are essentially animated sitcoms definitely aimed at adults- like say, "The Simpsons", "The Family Guy", "American Dad", "South Park", etc.)
There are tons of celebrities that have had cameo appearances on these shows and there are separate Wikias for that kind of cataloging, so I will leave it at that. In any case, I'm really looking for shows specifically based on real life celebrities and not just cameo appearances, so that's why I'm not including those shows.)
Also, just to clarify, I'm not counting Internet flash cartoons and such- I'm just looking at animated shows that ran on network or cable channels or even some that are Web originals with later DVD releases, etc.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added some of the one-off appearances of celebrities in TV-movies and specials and such to the main list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: