80sCartoons.net Forum Index

80's movies/ tv shows remakes & sequels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badkitty0404
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: 80's movies/ tv shows remakes & sequels Reply with quote

Well with the 80's remake craze I figured I'd add a post about non-cartoon tv shows and movies from the 80's being remade and made into sequels. Some you may know about and some you may not. So without further adu here is the good, the bad and the Ugly of Hollywoods 80's addiction.

2006=
-The A-Team: Four Veterans help people while on the run from teh milatary

-Back To School: A remake of the rodney Dangerfield classic starring none other than....dum dum dum.......Cedric the Entertainer, please hold your applause

-Curious George: Will Ferrell is the man in the yellow hat

-Die Hard 4: Yes Bruce Willis is back this time with his kids. Hollywood geriatrics at its best or worst, look just don't tell me there will be another Rambo!

-Rambo 4: Spoke to soon

-Indiana Jones 4: noooooooooo...say it ain't so....what have you done George? What have you done? nooooooo......Drop the Camera Mr. Speilburg please don't make this mistake that Cameron did with T3

-Terminator 4: Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the theater. Come on! It just keeps getting worse, I even hear they are casting again for yet another John Conner. Could they really not get Eddie Furlong? I mean it's not like he's busy or anything.

-Evil Dead: Please don't ruin this me Sam. Let's just hope for the best

-Miami Vice: THIS IS NOT A JOKE! but then again they did cast Jamie Foxx as det. Tubbs and Colin Farrell as Det. Crockett. Watch this movie bring back hot pink shirts and sports jackets with rolled sleeves. Oh well if nothing else we get to stare at Collin eye candy for an hour and a half.

-The Power of the Dark Crystal: I am looking forward to this one, it's the long awaited sequel to the Dark Crystal. The crystal splits and Jen & Kira, who are now king and Queen, have to save the world once more.

-How to Eat Fried Worms: I remember this on CBS Storybreak or something like that. I also remember the book from grade school.

-Flash Gordon: Remake of the comic that enjoyed renewed popularity throughout the 80's

-Porky's: Usually I would be skepitcal and be like WTF? but this Porky's is being made by Howard Stern. This may be pervertedly funny, Howard is king of that.

-Revenge of the Nerds: Iam at a loss for words, this must be a joke or a dare or something. If anyone has seen Revenge of the Nerds 3 & 4 they will see why this movie should not be made!!!! I know while we're at it let's go ahead and make another.......

-Police Academy: WTF??????? Shocked Confused Question

Ok, that's all I can find now. Hope I didn't rant and rave too much! Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Cool! I was aware of most of those, but some were news to me! Some of those sound great! (Others not so great!)

A Police Academy 8 is still in the works last I heard. That'd be cool. I laugh like crazy at those movies.

Indiana Jones 4 will be awesome! This is something Indiana Jones fans have been waiting for for quite a while now.

I've heard talk of a Rambo 4 and possibly a Die Hard 4. Personally, I'd love to see a Rocky VI! (There was talk of this at one time. I don't know if it'll happen, but I love the Rocky movies and I'd go see it.)

Star Wars: Episodes VII-IX (No worries there- George Lucas has made it pretty clear that it's not going to happen. However, a live action Star Wars TV series is still in the works.)

Star Trek XI: I'm sure this'll happen eventually, but after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, I don't know that it'll feature the Star Trek: The Next Generation cast. (too bad, because that's my favorite Star Trek series!) However, Star Trek XI sounds interesting because it's supposed to deal with the establishment of the Neutral Zone between the Federation and the Romulans, I think. This may just be a rumor though.

The Power of the Dark Crystal would be pretty cool to see, since The Dark Crystal was awesome!!! However, if The Jim Henson Company's going to do a sequel to any of its fantasy movies, I'd love to see a sequel to Labyrinth!!! (I love that movie)

Flash Gordon was done quite nicely in 1980 with a soundtrack by Queen and I don't know that a remake of that movie is needed. A different take on Flash Gordon would be okay though.

(By the way, my 3rd. grade teacher read us "How to Eat Fried Worms" as well. It's a great book!)
Very Happy

Oh, let's see. I guess I could mention Back to the Future Part 4 and bring up the fact that both Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale have said pretty firmly that it's not going to happen.

I've also heard talk of Ghostbusters 3 but that looks highly unlikely as well.

And there is supposed to be a Knight Rider movie coming, presumably starring David Hasselhoff somewhere this year, according to imdb.com

These next few aren't exactly 80s shows, but they're pretty sure to be horrid remakes none the less:
This summer, you could watch "Bewitched", "The Dukes of Hazzard" or "The Honeymooners" at the theaters or you could do yourself a favor and check out really cool movies like "Batman Begins" and "The Fantastic Four" instead!!!

Also, sometime this year, Donald P. Bellisario is supposed to have a Quantum Leap TV-movie coming to air on SCI-FI. It's set to be a pilot for a new spin-off series. I believe Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell will be on hand for the pilot, but I'm not sure of their involvement in the actual series. However, since Star Trek: Enterprise's recent cancellation, I guess that does free up Bakula's schedule.

Also, there was talk of redoing the 1970s TV show "The Six Million Dollar Man" and bringing it out as a movie called "The Six Billion Dollar Man" (accounting for inflation, I guess Smile ) and starring Jim Carrey in Lee Majors' original role as Col. Steve Austin. Of course, that movie is supposed to be a big comedy and would probably make a travesty of the series.

And I can't forget my namesake- a few years ago there was even talks of making a feature MacGyver movie!!! That'd be totally cool, except that Richard Dean Anderson would most likely not be playing the role and it'd basically be another stupid movie like Starsky&Hutch or Charlie's Angels, etc.

As much as I'm enjoying the 1980s nostalgia kick the industry seems to currently be on (and I'm always on that kick anyway! Very Happy ), I'm kinda hoping they'll hurry up and move past my decade and not mess with all the cool shows of my youth. Go strip-mine the 90s. There's not much there that I would claim anyway!

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O

Last edited by MacGyver on Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found another one. I'd heard about this before, but forgotten about it. Anyway, there's a chance that a sequel to Beetlejuice might get made!
Check out the link here.
http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie060505.php

(Actually, if you go to cinescape.com and check their movies pages, you can see all kinds of movie projects that are being considered for the future.) Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after checking cinescape.com myself, I just noticed a few other 1980s TV shows possibly coming to theaters as movie remakes and other movie series getting revived-

(of course, just about all of these are in the big time "maybe" category)

21 Jump Street
Alien 5
Mission: Impossible 3 (confirmed)
Clash of the Titans
Doc Savage
Dragonball Z (??!!?!! apparently so)
Fletch One (yes, the Chevy Chase movies)
Get Smart (not starring Don Adams, unfortunately)
The Greatest American Hero (I love this show- the movie might actually be pretty cool to see!)
The Green Hornet
Highlander 5
Hogan's Heroes

The Hobbit (hopefully this prequel to The Lord of the Rings movies will get made soon.)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (coming out December 9th.!!!!! I can't wait!!!! I love these books!)
The Once and Future King (a movie version of the King Arthur legends may be on the way)
The Jetsons
Jurassic Park IV
Judge Dredd sequels
Land of the Lost (!!!!??!!!-wow)
Logan's Run (remake of 1976 movie)
Mad Max 4
Mighty Mouse
Shazam! (probably not based too much on the live action 1970s series)
a new Supergirl movie! (the 1984 one is great!)
John Carpenter's Snake Plissken Chronicles (a sequel to "Escape From New York" and "Escape from L.A.")
A movie version of the "Spy Hunter" video games from the 80s!
and
Tron 2.0

(I'm sure there's other 80s shows and movie series (and other decades) in consideration too- I keep getting surprised all the time) Very Happy Cool

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Flash Gordon was done quite nicely in 1980

(choke--cough) OOOOOOKay.
As I recall, the acting in that movie was EXTREMELY wooden. I did not care for the sound track and the less said about the "special" effects, the better. IMHO

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
TWiSTeDMeTaL
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remake and sequel saturation is in the critical stage! Shocked Shocked
for the love of all original content kill all studio, directors and actors quickly be for it's too late for the love god! (begins to weep in horror at the atrocities)

BUT SERIOUSLY WTF! is going on with this remake sequel trend. Doesn't somebody have an original idea?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."

Ecclesiastes 1:9

Very Happy

badkitty0404
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there is alot of good & bad stuff coming out. I knew about a good majority of those but some like the new Snake Pliskin, Mad Max, Tron and the Jetsons are news to me.

Oh, another one I left off is Metroid based on the 80's NES video game. It's supposed to be live action. It seems like the new "IN" thing for movie making is 70's & 80's tv shows & action movies, comic books, video games, and childrens/teens books.

The ones I'm personally really looking forward too are The Chronicles of Narnia, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp + Tim Burton= Genius), The Last Unicorn, War of the Worlds, Evil Dead, Porky's, Rock N Roll Highschool (another classic being remade by Howard Stern) & even though I joke about it I really do want to see the new Indiana Jones movie good or bad.

80's Freak
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:

21 Jump Street
Alien 5
Mission: Impossible 3 (confirmed)
Clash of the Titans
Doc Savage
Dragonball Z (??!!?!! apparently so)
Fletch One (yes, the Chevy Chase movies)
Get Smart (not starring Don Adams, unfortunately)
The Greatest American Hero (I love this show- the movie might actually be pretty cool to see!)
The Green Hornet
Highlander 5
Hogan's Heroes

The Hobbit (hopefully this prequel to The Lord of the Rings movies will get made soon.)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (coming out December 9th.!!!!! I can't wait!!!! I love these books!)
The Once and Future King (a movie version of the King Arthur legends may be on the way)
The Jetsons
Jurassic Park IV
Judge Dredd sequels
Land of the Lost (!!!!??!!!-wow)
Logan's Run (remake of 1976 movie)
Mad Max 4
Mighty Mouse
Shazam! (probably not based too much on the live action 1970s series)
a new Supergirl movie! (the 1984 one is great!)
John Carpenter's Snake Plissken Chronicles (a sequel to "Escape From New York" and "Escape from L.A.")
A movie version of the "Spy Hunter" video games from the 80s!
and
Tron 2.0
Alot of those will be made Like Jurassic Park IV that's comfirmed
and Wonderwoman, Mad Max IV if they do do this one it wont have Mel in it. Shazam..I dout it, Mighty Mouse..I swear I read somthing about it in the past. Logan's Run...if they remake this it will not be as good as the original...but I might see it anyway. Fletch!...they cannot make!...you can't just remake a classic like this because Chevy is the only one who could play that character, The Jetsons...We all wish! Alien 5 yes I read they were suppose to make this and after that they are suppose to do VI as well. Clash of the Titans..if they remake this then I'll never see it!...I loved the original. 21 Jump Street..Impossible!...heheh but if he did it then I would see it..hehe

80's Will live on Forever!
80's Family: Aurora, teddy0bear
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize Jurassic Park IV had been confirmed. Wonder Woman has also recently been confirmed. And Ghost Rider is due out next year, along with Superman Returns and X-Men 3!!!!

badkitty0404
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I knew about most of them, but was keeping everything related to the 80's (plus that's alot of typing Laughing ). I am actually looking forward to Jurassic Park 4, as I really liked the last one.

Then you've got X3, I am so all over that since X-men is my favorite comic of ALL TIME. The only thing I'm not liking about it is that they choose to have Angel instead of Gambit. OH well at least they've got beast and I really think Kealsey Grammer is gonna do a great job. They are just really fun movies, I loved the first two and I'm sure I will love the third and any to follow. Also am I the only looking forward to the new Harry Potter book and movie?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not into Harry Potter, but I'm sure there's some other fans out there.

And I do hope X-Men 3 goes well, what with the change of directors and seemingly bad blood between that project and the crew of Superman Returns! I hope both movies do well. I can't wait to see them.
Yeah, it's too bad they couldn't work Angel and Gambit in, but I am glad that Beast and Angel will be there. They were the last 2 needed to have the original X-Men team there. From the first issue in 1963, the first team consisted of Professor X, Cyclops, Marvel Girl (Jean Grey), IceMan, Beast and Angel!!!! So it's cool to see all of them represented. Hey, if X-Men 3 does well enough, there's a good chance for another sequel and maybe Gambit will be around for that one. (I'm also hoping to see Colossus show up again, as his cameo in X2 was great!!!!)

badkitty0404
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bank on there being an xmen 4. There are just soooooo many fans out there. Right now I have no idea what the storyline is. If they go with something other than Phoenix Saga then there will definitly be an x4 because they set it up to be continued. Hugh Jackman is also doing a Wolverine movie, I assume about weapon x, so that will also help push towards another sequel. The only thing I really see that could stop X4 would be the actors not signing on again, since they did have some trouble getting all the cast back.

80's Freak
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badkitty0404 wrote:
I would bank on there being an xmen 4. There are just soooooo many fans out there. Right now I have no idea what the storyline is. If they go with something other than Phoenix Saga then there will definitly be an x4 because they set it up to be continued. Hugh Jackman is also doing a Wolverine movie, I assume about weapon x, so that will also help push towards another sequel. The only thing I really see that could stop X4 would be the actors not signing on again, since they did have some trouble getting all the cast back.
Well I've read alot about what they are doing and they've already said this will be the last and then they will do two spin off's which is a Wolverine film and a Magneto movie as well and they might do Silver Surfer which would be sweet ass!

80's Will live on Forever!
80's Family: Aurora, teddy0bear
TWiSTeDMeTaL
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Cummings who played Nightcrawler in x-2 will not do the character again.
I'm not surprised since appearently he didn't get along too well with original director and supposedly there was lot of tension between the actors.

And Macgyver I know everything gonna be repeated but damn it be nice for something different for a change.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best original movie I've seen in a while was Disney's National Treasure from last year! That was awesome! It was sort of a mix of Indiana Jones, James Bond, and MacGyver! (And maybe a bit of Mission: Impossible too) But it still didn't really feel like an obvious rip-off of anything. It just had elements that reminded me of all those. I love it. Another good original movie is 1999's "Frequency" starring Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel. I love that movie about a son communicating with his dead father via a radio frequency. (The son's in the present- 1999 and the father's in 1969! It's a great sci-fi movie)

And of course, there's 2004's Napoleon Dynamite! That movie is dyno-mite! Smile
It's incredibly funny. And it is pretty original, I think.

But some movie versions of some things can turn out to be pretty good- sometimes. I hope that'll continue to be the case for all the DC and Marvel superhero movies as well as any more cartoon-turned-live action movie ventures.

HEADMASTER
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout a modern version of The breakfast club. lets all make fun of todays stereotypes!!!!!!

As much as i hate remake, i like sequels.

your forgetting theyre making a Transformers movie coming out in 2007

I also would like to see a Gi Joe film(live action)

Plus, there supposedly going to be a Iron Man movie.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I am definitely looking forward to see a live action Transformers and G.I. Joe movie! That'd be cool! It'd also be neat to see another Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (which had been talked about at one point but doesn't look like it's happening now.)

And yes, Iron Man is supposed to be on the way (don't know if Tom Cruise will still play the lead role- that was the rumor I heard anyway)

And here's a new one I just found out about-

There's a (I'm assuming live action) Voltron movie set for 2008!!!
http://imdb.com/title/tt0472429/

Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, here's some news (at least to me) on the Knight Rider movie!!!! Cool Very Happy

http://imdb.com/title/tt0384254/

IMDB has updated its page with some cast listings.

The movie's directed by Joseph Mehi and is still listed as coming out in 2005- so either the date is wrong for the theatrical release or it's going to sneak in later on this year or show up next year- or it may be that we're going to see this released as a TV-movie or straight to video.

Either way, here's the cast listed for the movie.
First off, Devon Miles is not in the movie because it is a continuation from the series, as far as I can tell. For one thing, unfortunately, Edward Mulhare has died, and in any case, his character of Devon Miles was killed in the 1991 "Knight Rider 2000" TV-movie. (which was included on the Knight Rider Season 1 DVD, by the way)
I don't know if RC3, Bonnie, or April will show up. The main cool thing is that David Hasselhoff is on the cast list, presumably as Michael Knight. That's always a good thing- having the original actor playing his original role- at least that means it'll be a serious continuation of the TV series.
Here's the rest of the cast listings so far.

Christie Woods .... Dana Knight
Michael Biehn .... Arthur Forrest
Nicholas Lea .... John Spedley
David Hasselhoff
Ara Paiaya .... Buddy

I don't really recognize any of the actors and actresses off hand. I'm wondering if the "Dana Knight" character is going to be Michael's daughter- that seems most likely since the actress playing the role is young enough to be David Hasselhoff's daughter.

I'm also curious about whether this movie will have any connection to the Team Knight Rider series, but I kinda doubt it.

Anyway, I'll still be very excited and interested to see this whenever it comes out!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- the "live action" CGI movie- is coming in 2007!!! Very Happy Cool
http://www.imagi.com.hk/movie/web/tmntm.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: