80sCartoons.net Forum Index

most expensive toys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickey
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: most expensive toys Reply with quote

what is most very expensive toy did you know?

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Restart this machine... Reply with quote

Restart this post...

Excluding video games and consoles, I would say my RC Rover Austin Mini. Total cost $400. Admittedly, I purchased this when I was in my 20's. The most I spent as a child or was even gifted were probably my train sets.

As an adult, though, for my wife's birthday I bought her a mint in box Fisher Price Camp Set. We both grew up with them and had very fond memories of that set, $120 and she was a little girl explorer again. Later, she returned the favor and purchased the Lego Type 1 Beetle for me.

Funny story, I have a Tendril figure from the Inhumanoids cartoon. He is close to 18" tall, a large fellow you'd say. Well, I was moving quite a bit and thought that I lost him. Check ebay, and $50 later, I have a new Tendril. Two months go by and ToyFare magazine does a feature called "They paid what for it!?" And sure enough, there is my Tendril purchase. Apparently they thought I was insane! Maybe I am, I have since found the Tendril I thought I lost. To me 2 Tendrils are better than none.

Don't mess with a man on a mission to buy the toy(s) he had as a child! Smile

Seriously, don't Twisted Evil

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- neat story. Thanks for sharing. I guess the most expensive toys I've had or have would be video game cartridges- though many of them were gifts and the ones I've bought in more recent years, I've gotten pretty cheaply.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
riven3d
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was huge into GI Joe in the 80's i think the most expensive thing i paid for was like around $150 for the Terror Drone when it had came out. was a lots of money for a teenager back then but my parents wouldnt spend that kind of money its why I was never able to get the USS Flagg in my collection back then the one time i found it the price tag was $200 too bad I didnt have that kind of money i wasnt even a teenager yet then.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the proper '80s terminology, for a kid in the '80s who was a G.I. Joe fan, the USS Flagg was (and still is) so bad! Very Happy Cool
(But no way could I ever spend that kind of money on it- my parents definitely wouldn't have either.)

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! The USS Flagg! That was and is a legendary toy! I only had one friend who had enough chutzpah to ask for that as a Christmas present, the fact that he got it was unreal. GI Joe was far and away the best toy line for me. A friend got me the Cobra Rattler for my 8th birthday, and it is in my office today with Wild Weasel in the cockpit.

The greatest touch I used on my folks was to get a Sega Genesis. My dad got a promotion and wanted to buy an arcade machine. "Dad, for half the price you could have a system that would give you arcade quality, but more than one static game." Dad did some research, found out that his company had a deal with Sears, and after a pretty steep discount we were in Genesis heaven. That may be the most expensive on shot gift our parents gave us. It was certainly the only modern game console they ever bought us. Since then, I would usually wait to buy the 'last years' model when new stuff is about to roll out. The PS3 may be the last console I buy, and I use it exclusively for Bluray and Netflix. I have mentioned in other posts how I now like to build PC based arcade machines, and that satisfies me. And maybe it is to pay homage to my dad, who after all wasn't terribly enthused with our Sega, but saw that we were.

We never really had an allowance, so those first job paychecks were more money then I had ever seen. Too bad I can't still just blow all my money on toys with no worries. Though, I suppose, the toys become more expensive with age as well. Wink

For any of you with kids, what are some of the funny, crazy or super expensive things kids ask for today?

Long live The Flagg, and all who sail upon her! ( I think I found my new signature!)

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For any of you with kids, what are some of the funny, crazy or super expensive things kids ask for today?

Not married yet and so don't have kids, but I do have nephews and nieces.
I think a lot of kids today just ask for the newest technology out there- you know, an iPad or new video game system like the PS4, etc.
My nephews usually do get new video games for their birthday and Christmas and such. And those new video games (for any system) can be quite pricey! (Of course, the side benefit is that I get a chance to hang out with them and play their games sometimes too- lol. They definitely have much newer video game systems than I do......) Laughing Cool

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back in the day there was a really really expensive toy that I was fortunate enough to have: the "Duravit" trucks.

You dont know what that is? dont worry!, almost nobody I have ever met know anything about it. They are really big trucks and vans made of... I dont know what that is, they look like bricks with wheels, but they are the most resistent toys I have ever had... surely unbreakables (and because are still arround, after all this years, I assure that they are really strong... damn, they dont even have a scratch!).

Hereīs a picture of the thing:

*sigh* Man, I had endless fun with those things :/

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Are they made in Europe? I don't suppose you still have yours?

Edit: Not Europe

http://bobfrassinetti.tripod.com/duravit/index.album/american-truck-duravit-argentina?i=1[/url]

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
Awesome! Are they made in Europe? I don't suppose you still have yours?

Nono, they are argentinian only (but thereīs a german company with the same name).

Yes, I still have the two trucks that my grandparents gave me Smile

EDIT: Thanks for that link, I wasn't expecting them to be featured on a english page.

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound like great fun. And it is cool that they are not metal, but, rubber! It is sad that the company had to sell the molds when they went through bankruptcy. It makes the ones your grandparents gave extra special.

About how large are these trucks? Centimeters is fine, like how tall and wide?

Lots of kids in the US had Tonka trucks. Some were huge steel dump trucks, and usually yellow. I love finding out about new toys that were played with in other countries, especially, like your trucks, were made in and for that country. Very cool!

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
They sound like great fun. And it is cool that they are not metal, but, rubber! It is sad that the company had to sell the molds when they went through bankruptcy. It makes the ones your grandparents gave extra special.

About how large are these trucks? Centimeters is fine, like how tall and wide?

Lots of kids in the US had Tonka trucks. Some were huge steel dump trucks, and usually yellow. I love finding out about new toys that were played with in other countries, especially, like your trucks, were made in and for that country. Very cool!

Oddly enough, while looking for my toys in order to answer your question, I found out that I actually have two more! (those are two military sheps, smaller, and not as solid... I think they are plain plastic). As for the wide and tall, I think they are 21 centimeters tall x 11 wide... the others, as I said, are notably smaller... like half that amount.

Ahh yeah, I have heard about the Tonkas... In fact, I think they were on sale here for a while, letīs see if I can find the commercial on TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcgtsAp4AM

Well, I dont think they are in there, but I recommend you to look through these three videos, itīs really a trip Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for the picture. I remember enjoying toy trucks as a kid too. Smile Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » All Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: