80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Finally got the last 2 seasons of MacGyver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Finally got the last 2 seasons of MacGyver Reply with quote

I finally picked up the Final 2 seasons of MacGyver, they were discounted and two-packed at Best Buy so it was a great deal.

I have to say the series kind of took a nose dive in the final 2 seasons.

However being the big fan off Mac that I am I still managed to enjoy it. Though the recurring characters got increasingly more annoying. Mama Lorrain, and Earl Dent really started to get on my nerves as I got closer to the final episode.

But its nice to have finally completed the MacGyver collection. All 7 season box sets now on my bookcase.

Anyway, which of the follow up movies should I chase down next? Trial to Doomsday or Lost Treasure of Atlantis?

By the way, that final Murdoc episode: that was a doozie. So many things wrong with that one.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Cool, dude. Glad you got to finish your MacGyver DVD season sets.
As should be pretty evident from my user name, MacGyver is pretty much my favorite show ever! Very Happy So I love all the seasons and episodes. Eh- Mama Lorraine and Earl Dent don't bother me really. With MacGyver, you don't generally see too many recurring characters in any case. It seems like there are different ones every few seasons- except for mainstays like Jack Dalton who is there for almost every season. And Murdoc of course- I always love the Murdoc episodes. And yes, there's always some supsension of disbelief required, but it's just fun to me and I like it. Smile
Good to know Best Buy is still selling MacGyver- I can't find it on DVD anymore at my local Best Buy stores- but Barnes & Noble still has it, so that's good to know. It took me a long while to do it, but I was finally able to track down all the MacGyver seasons on DVD in their original printing (which wasn't a huge thing really- just an aestethics issue for me- I prefer the original discs that have cool artwork rather than the drab, gray ones that CBS/Paramount uses for every title they put out now.)
Anyway- though MacGyver fans differ in opinions on the TV-movies, coming from a fan who grew up watching the series in its original run in the '80s and who saw the TV-movies when they originally aired in 1994- I think they're both great and worth watching.
And you can pick up both of them now in one DVD set- http://www.amazon.com/MacGyver-Movies-Richard-Dean-Anderson/dp/B003BJO8IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304969632&sr=8-2
Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. All 7 full pictured sets. You know the ones that had varying colors for each set from brownish all the way to purple.

Very cool to have it complete.

Thanks for the heads up on the Movies. Gonna have to order the set now.

By the way, I think the Chevy Nomad in the 6th season was an odd choice for a car even if it was Harry's.

So how many houses did Mac end up living in? Unless I missed one I think he moved 2 twice, giving him 3 places to call home. Though the houseboat is the more iconic one.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver had an eclectic style in vehicles. He is mainly remembered for his jeep- that's iconic. Then he got the yellow and black truck in the 5th. Season and then started driving the Chevy Nomad in the 6th. Season. (Both of which he apparently inherited from Harry.) By the 7th. Season he was back to mainly using the jeep, although he also owns a motorcycle that we see show up in a few episodes.
It was interesting definitely.
As to MacGyver's houses, well... In the Pilot episode, he lived in the Observatory. He moved from there to an apartment for the rest of the 1st. Season. By the 2nd. Season, he had moved to a new apartment. By the 3rd. Season- this is where he started living in the houseboat and stayed there through the 4th., 5th. and 6th. Seasons. At the start of the 7th. Season, he moves yet again to a new apartment after having lost his houseboat to a fire.
So he had at least 5 places of dwelling throughout the series.

overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did he really live in the Observatory? Pilot episodes are really bad for continuity.

The apartment above the Coffee shop was the first real apartment after the Pilot.

So the other apartment was the one with the kitchen smack in the middle of it?

And yeah the Jeep was the most iconic car.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, MacGyver's little brother comments that MacGyver lives in a weird place, so yeah- most fans accept that Mac lived in the Observatory at least for a little while.
And yeah- you've described the first and second season apartments pretty well.
In the "The 'Hood" episode in the 7th. season, MacGyver moves into his third apartment, which definitely has a different look from the other places. Of course, MacGyver is on the move so often you don't really see him at home a whole lot during the series anyway. Smile

moalpine
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They finally have MacGyver available on Watch Now on the Netflix website. I hope to start them soon.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Definitely check MacGyver out- one of the best '80s shows and one of the best TV shows period! (IMHO, of course. Smile Cool )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: