80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Voltron!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Voltron! Reply with quote

Is amazing! ... not that I saw it for the first time yesterday or anything. It has plot! and character development! (and a dude with an accent!) I've only seen the first 3 episodes but it's fricken awesome! It's weird...they are not colour coated (ie. the blue guy was piloting the red lion instead of the blue one...weird...it's like the creators went "hey! lets fool everyone into thinking it's predictable and then mess with their minds"). I may have to buy the first season...
And what is this i'm reading about Sven being kicked off at ep 6? WHAT?!?!?!?! Sven is awesome...they can't kick him off the main character roster...

Also watched the first 3 eps of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs and I got to say...*snork* hehehe

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also watched the first 3 eps of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs and I got to say...*snork* hehehe

I'm not sure what the relationship is with Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs and The Snorks, (other than both being awesome '80s cartoons) but that is interesting to know. Wink Laughing

But anyway, yes- Voltron is pretty cool from what I've seen of it. Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltron is awesome. I'm Partial to Vehicle Voltron myself a.k.a Daurgger XV.

However the Lion Voltron was very cool too.

I believe the Seven deal was a Plot point in the Japanese version, however deeming the plot too violent, for American children they decided to merely injure him, instead of actually killing him off. Which then begs the question of why he never got the Lion back from the Princess.

This was often the case in the American versions. even the vehicle Voltron version. Which have a kind of comedic effect when the character is clearly doomed and has no way of surviving, and yet he's plotting his comeback while having the ship he's in be obliterated.

I'm currently watching Vehicle Voltron's Volume 1 or Voltron series Volume 6 if I'm not mistaken

Toytainment Blog
Icemage
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad, sad news.

Peter Keefe, the producer for Voltron, just passed away.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if3584cb6d538b8e118c5f9a0c7f207ba

Quote:

Peter Keefe, an animation executive and producer best known as the creative force behind the iconic children's TV series "Voltron," died May 27 of throat cancer in Rochester, N.Y. He was 57.

During the past two decades, Keefe created, produced and sold more than 600 half-hours of children's and family entertainment programming, shows that were watched by hundreds of millions while generating hundreds of millions of dollars in business.

Keefe distinguished himself not only for his creative and marketing savvy but also for his trademark black handlebar mustache, long blond hair and cowboy boots. That was complemented by a rich vocabulary that made him larger than life, even at a young age.

During the mid-'80s, Keefe adapted Japanese animated series "Go Lion" and "Dierugger" into a single seamless story line that became "Voltron." Debuting in U.S. syndication on Sept. 10, 1984, "Voltron: Defender of the Universe" quickly rose to become the No. 1 nationally ranked series in kids syndication during the 1984 and 1985 broadcast seasons.

Shown in more than 100 countries, the series remains widely recognized as among the world's top Japanese-originated children's franchises of all time, and it became the template for such other genre mega-hits as "Power Rangers" and "Pokemon."

"Voltron" also became one of the leading kids merchandise licensing franchises of the decade, driving retail sales for licensed products into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltron fans probably have already long been aware of this, but I just saw that NickToons is airing a new Voltron cartoon this summer!
http://www.nickandmore.com/2011/05/06/voltron-force-premieres-june-16-on-nicktoons/

"Voltron Force" premiere June 16, 2011 on NickToons. Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Voltron fans probably have already long been aware of this, but I just saw that NickToons is airing a new Voltron cartoon this summer!
http://www.nickandmore.com/2011/05/06/voltron-force-premieres-june-16-on-nicktoons/

"Voltron Force" premiere June 16, 2011 on NickToons. Very Happy Cool

Cool! I'm excited.

DenAirZel
Radical

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltron Is one of the Greatest 80's cartoons ever produced, glad to hear there are still fans lol!!!

MOONBASEONE
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltron is definitely one of my favorite cartoons from the 80s. The Lions were my favorites though I did like the Cars series too.

And I remember watching Saber Rider in the morning around 6AM before rushing off to school. I always wanted that car as a toy but I don't think they ever made one?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keirawinsor
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltron, Voltes 5 and Daimos are my childhood favorites! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: