80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night (1987).

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night (1987). Reply with quote

Anyone seen or remembers this fantastic underrated Filmation animated fantasy movie? it's a really dark animated story set after a year when Pinocchio became human as a mysterious macabre carnival that comes to town, Pinocchio just celebrated his first birthday as a human does an important task for his dad to bring a jewel box to the mayor. However he gets cheated by a scandlous raccoon and his monkey assistant for a worthless fake ruby, it pisses his dad off so much that he decides to run away to join the carnival for he falls for a lovely blonde girl puppet. He gets tricked by an evil puppeteer that magically changes him back into a puppet while later on his fairy godmother turns him back to normal for now he looks for the two scoundrels that swindled him earlier to go after the traveling carnival and end up in the hellish nightmarish and Las Vegas-esque realm of the empire of the night conducted by the evil Emperor.

Highly entertaining and wonderfully animated story with darkness, good animation (considering it's an improvement over previous Filmation animation), a nice story, geniune animated horror & tension, lovable characters, one hell of a villain and good songs like "You're a Star". There is scary moments like that absolutely horrifying scene where Pinocchio is tortured by Puppetino into becoming a puppet as he screams his head off, i saw this when it came out in theaters when i was 5 after christmas in 1987 living in St. Louis and saw this at a shopping mall, it scared the crap out of me even with that scene where Pinocchio becomes the puppet. It features the voices of James Earl Jones, Scott Grimes ("Critters 1 & 2", "American Dad", "E.R."), Tom Bosley ("Happy Days"), Ed Asner and William Windom plus Rickie Lee Jones.

It's on Youtube.com and a must see! it's good spooky animated fun.

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember that. Was pretty good, as I recall.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this when it came out in theaters? did the scene where Puppetino changed Pinocchio into a puppet scared you?

Here's a link to the movie on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9MtQgR4lk

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in theaters, no. I saw it when it came out on TV.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the scene where Puppetino turns Pinocchio into a puppet scared anyone?

Miss_R
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scared me a little. I just recently got it on video (off Ebay). I love the song the good fairy sings at the begining Smile

Gnarly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in your country it's on DVD.

Now for us USA residents, we need to write to Starz or Anchor Bay to release this wonderful and dark underrated gem on DVD. It's even on youtube.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: