80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Greatest Cartoon Love Stories?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jigga_wattz
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Greatest Cartoon Love Stories? Reply with quote

Other than Superman/Lois Lane - Spiderman/Mary Jane .... what are some of the greatest cartoon love stories?

How about the Great Cartoon Love Triangles?

Archie - Veronica/Betty is one of my favorite love triangles...

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destro and the Baroness from GI Joe were the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Second into my head was Sandra Shore and D'Compose from Inhumanoids, which is oddly sweet... not to mention something you have to see to believe. Laughing

Requiem's alternate ending!
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josie and Alexander from "Josie and the Pussycats"
Freddie and Daphne from "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" (hinted at)
Shaggy and pretty much any food item from "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" Smile
Zandor and Tara from "The Herculoids"
Yogi and Cindy from "The Yogi Bear Show"

I can't think of any more, right now.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Archie, Betty and Veronica love triangle is probably my favorite because I love the Archie comics so much.
But there's also the comic book romances you mentioned- Superman and Spider-Man, both of which have been seen in the cartoons, though I don't think the marriages for either have been on the cartoons. I believe it is mentioned in the first episode for Spider-Man in the "Spider-Man Unlimited" series though.
Spider-Man (Peter Parker) married Mary Jane Watson in the comics back in 1988- though of course, current continuity has kinda thrown that out the window.
And Superman (Clark Kent) married Lois Lane in 1996, I believe it was, in the comics and that one's still strong.

Other cartoon romances....
Well, you can't forget one of the longest running romances (or at least the longest one has been running from said romance Wink)
Kermit and Miss Piggy! Laughing (and depending on how you interpret it- they were married in "The Muppets Take Manhattan"- though it's not generally considered a true wedding since Piggy kinda surprised Kermit with it when it was supposed to be just part of their show...)

There's also Aquaman and Mera but I don't think their relationship was really shown until the Justice League cartoon started.

Robin (Dick Grayson) and Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) were also romantically involved some on Batman: The Animated Series from the '90s.

And another famous love triangle-

Olive Oyl, Popeye and Bluto!

And there's also sweethearts Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse
and Donald Duck and Daisy Duck. Smile

In the comics at least, Scarlett and Snake Eyes are seen to be lovers for a while- I can't remember offhand if the G.I. Joe cartoon ever made much mention of it though.

Porky Pig and Petunia Pig have a thing for each other too.
And then there's Bugs Bunny and Lola Bunny, seen more recently in movies like Space Jam.

And there's lots of other famous husband and wife teams in cartoons like

George Jetson and Jane Jetson
and of course,
Fred Flintstone and Wilma Flintstone Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
son goku
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about robotech : the macross saga ? I just love the relationship between rick hunter , lisa and minmay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh0efATtLrc

Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Superman and Spider-Man, both of which have been seen in the cartoons, though I don't think the marriages for either have been on the cartoons. I believe it is mentioned in the first episode for Spider-Man in the "Spider-Man Unlimited" series though.

In the 90's series Peter and MJ were married but then it turned out she was a clone of the real MJ who was lost in a portal/vortex. The series ended with Spidey and Madame Web going off to search for the real MJ. It's been stated by the makers of the show that had they gotten another season Peter would have found her back in time in Victorian England where he also would have found Carnage was Jack the Ripper.

Quote:
In the comics at least, Scarlett and Snake Eyes are seen to be lovers for a while- I can't remember offhand if the G.I. Joe cartoon ever made much mention of it though.

Not only have Snake Eyes and Scarlett been an item for pretty much the entire comic run they're engaged. For the cartoon the writers argued that it would be hard to portray a romance with someone who never talks so they paired Scarlett with Duke. (I think this is stupid if it worked in print it would work on screen)

Another GI Joe romance was Flint and Lady Jaye. They became an item in both the cartoon and the comics. In the comics they were eventually married. Sadly, Lady Jaye was later killed.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarana and Mainframe in the G. I. Joe cartoon.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another GI Joe romance was Flint and Lady Jaye. They became an item in both the cartoon and the comics. In the comics they were eventually married. Sadly, Lady Jaye was later killed.

Ok, thanks for the update. It's been a while since I've seen the classic '80s G.I. Joe cartoon. I didn't know Lady Jaye was killed off- seems funny the writers would choose to kill one of the few female characters in the Joe universe...oh well, she'll live on in the cartoon then. I wonder if she's in the movie Smile

Another famous cartoon love story- Pepe LePew and any cat who somehow happens to accidentally get a white stripe down her back Laughing

Maybe the appropriate category for these would be cartoon crushes, but there's definitely-
Spider-Man and Iceman competing over Firestar in "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" (a bit of a love triangle, but not so strongly emphasized)

and Chip and Dale fighting over Gadget on "Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers" (but again- it wasn't always a big focal point- but certainly showed up throughout the series)

and Peter Pan, Wendy and Tinkerbell were kind of a love triangle too on Fox's "Peter Pan and the Pirates"

And though Camilla (the chicken) is Gonzo's girlfriend on The Muppet Show- on "Muppet Babies", Baby Gonzo was usually shown trying to win Miss Piggy's affections- although of course she only had eyes for Kermie. Smile Quotes the frog- "Aw, sheesh" Laughing
Kermit just never gets a break from this.

Batman and Wonder Woman also seem to have a thing going on the "Justice League" and "Justice League Unlimited" cartoons, as do Green Lantern and Hawkgirl, for that matter (in the early seasons at least)

And Alvin, Simon and Theodore all have their special girlfriends- the Chipettes (Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor) on "Alvin and the Chipmunks"

Lazimus_Prime
Gnarly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one episode of "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers" where the ranger Goose gets pulled into a black hole and finds himself stranded on a lost world. While there, he saves the life of a woman named Annie Oh, and they end up falling in love.

Also, there's the episode of "The Jetsons" where it's Judy's birthday and there's an awkward guy from her school who she ignores, until the end, when he shows her how much he cares about her when he's the only one who remembers her birthday.

But my favourite 80s cartoon romance, by far, is from a couple of episodes of "The Smurfs" where Handy Smurf falls in love with Marina the mermaid. Handy even builds a submarine so that he can go visit her. That was just too cute!

Lazimus_Prime
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of another one. There's two episodes of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" where Leonardo falls in love with a female ninja named Lotus Blossom. She was originally hired by Krang to capture the turtles, but she ends up betraying him and taking the turtles' side.

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazimus_Prime wrote:
I just thought of another one. There's two episodes of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" where Leonardo falls in love with a female ninja named Lotus Blossom. She was originally hired by Krang to capture the turtles, but she ends up betraying him and taking the turtles' side.

Also, there was Raphael and Mona Lisa. He's a ninja and she's a pirate; how can you go wrong with that? Laughing

Requiem's alternate ending!
Lazimus_Prime
Gnarly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazimus_Prime wrote:
There was one episode of "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers" where the ranger Goose gets pulled into a black hole and finds himself stranded on a lost world. While there, he saves the life of a woman named Annie Oh, and they end up falling in love.

Speaking of which, I was just looking at a guide to that episode of "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers" at tv.com:

http://www.tv.com/the-adventures-of-the-galaxy-rangers/edge-of-darkness/episode/139472/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;ep_title;23

Check out this quote from the part where the ranger Shane Gooseman(aka Goose) is about to blast off into outer space back to his home, leaving Annie behind with her dog, Belle-

Annie Oh: Will it always be goodbye for us, Shane?
Goose: Watch the skies. Every star that falls brings my heart back to you. (Goose leaves)
Annie Oh: Come on, Belle, we've got a lot of star gazing to do.

Last edited by Lazimus_Prime on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw- that's sweet. Smile

And for more cartoon romances- okay, this one is based on a live action show, but the cartoon version of Mork & Mindy came to mind.
And I think there were at least hints of a romance between Tackleberry and Callahan on the Police Academy cartoon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: